WT destroying old literature

by startingover 44 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Mum
    Mum

In the '80's I saw Joan Cetnar on The John Ankerberg Show. She and her late husband, Bill, were apostates before it was cool. She stated that she and Bill kinew of old literature being burned. As someone else pointed out, they can burn all they want, but somebody somewhere has every piece of it.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Wow some real tinfoil hat stuff here. The reason to get rid of old lit (and this is only for the literature counter) is to get rid of old stuff that's been sitting there for years. The congregation library is supposed to have old stuff. No one is telling them to ditch stuff in the library. A lot of people think that literature is somehow sacred and that it shouldn't be destroyed. Thus you'd end up with piles of old books sitting there. There's no point in mailing in back to the branch because shipping it would cost more than the literature is worth in terms of recycling or the man-hours to restock the stuff.

• friendaroonie
    friendaroonie

very interesting

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Barrold, I beg to differ with you.

I will admit that I have not been in a KH library for more than 40 years (time flies when you're living your life!), but if you were able to find ANY of Russell's or Rutherfod's crap in ANY KH library ANYWHERE, I would be gobsmacked, stunned, and would be obligated to be your butler for a time, times, and half a time.

• blondie
    blondie

I know a KH library in this town, 2 of them with a complete set of Studies in the Scriptures, and a rainbow selection of Rutherford's books. WTs back to 1919, Consolations and Golden Ages. Both congregations were established around 1920 and all their books are the first editions. As congregations have split off into their own buildings it is not quite as comprehensive unless older jws gave their in shape publications to the congregation. When I sorted out the library and cleaned it up, I kept the more worn duplicates....still have them. It really depends on when the congregation was formed and the KH was built.

We traveled quite a bit when jws and would stop at the local KH. We always checked out the library and found that it was the same, congregations established back in the 20's and 30's had older publications back to then, newer ones, just the basics starting from the year the congregration was established (unless an older jw donated their library).

Older publications from the 60's and 70's were made out of low quality paper that yellowed. Those were tossed with one library copy kept.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Well Nathan, you better pack your bags. The library in my local KH has TONS of old publications. I will get pictures for you. Yes, I am going to visit the hall for a Sunday meeting just to get pictures.

Plus one of my responsibilities as an MS was to make sure the KH library was as complete as possible. As Blondie said, older congregations will be more likely to have these older publications unless someone donates old books to it. I've seen this happen.

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Yeah, my KH had an impressive collection of the old books. They werre proud of it. I think the talk about destroying old books to destroy evidence is fanciful. It's just "old light" and of no further use. Why would they keep it?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

o damn.

How would the Master prefer to be addressed? Would "Mr. Bonds" be sufficient? If you have no immediate need for me, Sir, I shall be polishing your shoes...

• HowTheBibleWasInvented
    HowTheBibleWasInvented

I'm not condoning theft...well actually maybe I am...lol

But isn't the purpose of a library to be abe to take books out to research?

I had an elder once tell me:

"You can read anything in the library just don't remove the books from it." I say b******t!

First as pointed out the WT doesn't like older publications laying around.

Second point.... who reads anything in the KH library... Nobody i've noticed..and I mean ever!

Just take it.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Since the WTS has produced many pieces of literature over the years with ever changing doctrinal teachings

contained within those pieces of literature, one should not to expect the WTS. heads to push for the removal and

destruction of those old publications. The WTS wants to obviously create and maintain a outward public image that god

has indeed chosen their organization and channels gods spiritual force through them.

Having obtainable literature with obviously false but still commercially appealing literature weakens that strive for

self purposed public image.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit