What's the weirdest health advice given by a JW?

by Julia Orwell 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Definitely the most damaging advice that.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Glander...spring onion...lol! I didn't know men chatted about their hemorrhoids.

Honestly...OTC remedies for that malady are quite effective. I can't imagine shoving a clove of garlic up there instead. What the heck...

She would frequently be seen before and after the meeting holding someones jaw to tilt there head up to the light so she could diagnose their prob.

If Jesus was there he would have thrown her out with all the other moneychangers.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Hot peppers in my ear, to cure a head cold.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

OH that's just so ignorant!! Don't they know a cold is a virus?

• smiddy
    smiddy

Alternative medicines ,vitamins ,naturapath,chiropractors,anything or anyone other than a medical practioner was the go at my last congregation.

A few of our freinds swore by them , and each of them died too young,not seeking medical help until it was too late to help them.

smiddy

• TOTH
    TOTH

Black Strap Molasses cures everything.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Yep, I heard that one too. Seriously, where do they get these ideas from?!

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Here's a good one: place open pans or pots of water in the four cardinal compass points of your house to keep bad electromagnetic energy out of your home. Yes, I really went to a sister's house once and found pots of water on the floor.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

a sister was recommending coffee enemas!

I remember the circuit witchdoctor was big into coffee enemas. The weirdo was always wanting to stick a tube up people's ass and serve them coffee. Then he got into reading people's aura. Most JW's were spooked by the aura reading thing.

Seems like through the JW circuit there was always some new herbal health kick or new pyramid scheme going around. But then again, what do you expect from a religion that once believed in reading people's heads (Phrenology) and demonized vaccinations & aluminum as unhealthy. Also, Pyramidology was used by Russell to come up with some of his wacky ideas & dates, so maybe that's why JW's were more prone to falling for pyramid schemes.

• Emma
    Emma

Cancer is caused by parasites in your body. Drink a special tea and give yourself enemas and the parasites and cancer would come out. Really! If you looked in the toilet you'd be able to see them. (and this may not even be the wierdest.)

One sister believed that radiation hit your roof, from the sun i guess, and to be healthy you had to climb up on your roof and wipe a plastic bag full of salt across it. That would take care of the radiation once and for all. This particular sister sadly died of untreated breast cancer because she believed she could pull the tumor out with hot, herbal compresses. Left three kids.

There was an "herbalist" in our circuit who could tell what was wrong with you by looking and listening to your symptoms. You could be cured by drinking quarts of nasty tea and giving yourself enemas with the same tea. Our congregation also believed in a grape diet that included, you guessed it, multiple enemas a day!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit