What's the weirdest health advice given by a JW?

by Julia Orwell 48 Replies latest jw friends

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I knew of dubs back in the 70s, who went down to Mexico for the Laetrile cure. Of course it cured nothing and they died. I have nothing against herbal or other alternative medicine if it's nothing serious, but it doesn't take the place of a doctor. Every congregation seems to have a resident medical expert that thinks they know more than any doctor.

My sister is always trying to push her "cures" off on me. She put iodine on me, supposedly if your body absorbed it in 24 hours it indicated you were low in iodine, so you needed to take supplements, actually everyone should take them as we are all low in iodine. She gave me the pills, but I never took them. The last time I was there she was going on about ionized water, which is supposed to be a cure all. I told her I had read up on it and it was bunk, which offended her deeply. She was saying, look, it made my hair really soft. I had a hard time not laughing. Now she goes to some dub quack who has a magic machine of some sort. Sounds like snake oil to me. It hasn't stopped her seizures, she thinks she has late stage Lyme disease, but fired all her Doctors because they didn't tell her what she wanted to hear I think.

• Glander
    Glander

I've posted here before abou the uber-elder's wife who was very "out there". She could read the irises of your eyes and tell what your problem was and recommmend the herbal remedy. She made it convenient by selling the very herbal concoction you needed. She would frequently be seen before and after the meeting holding someones jaw to tilt there head up to the light so she could diagnose their prob.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

There used to be (or still is) a so called Dr. thats a Sister in the Bronx, Maria, the waiting list was long to get into her. She told my father dying from cancer to drink grape juice when he got nauseated.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Alt. medicine wackos aren't unique to JW's at all. They are everywhere, and interestingly, well-educated people and retards fall for their crap.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

The brother who put cayenne pepper in his eye because it "gets the impurities out of your eyes." His idea was all the gunk that comes up in your eye after you put it in is all the gunk in your eye being extracted. I said "Nah, pretty sure that is just your eye melting."

• Comatose
    Comatose

I used depression as a reason for missing some meetings. The two elders who came by to check on me then offered all types of advice for depression. One said don't take any medicine from doctors. I knew a brother once who took medicine and then committed suicide. The medicine will make you worse or kill you.

Brilliant

• Farkel
    Farkel

:What's the weirdest health advice given by a JW?

A sister in her early 40's passed out in our Kingdom Hall one night. An "anointed" sister who was somewhat older than the Dead Sea Scrolls came rushing to her rescue and started rubbing the patient's feet. Now this sister loved to eat garlic. So much so that even dragons kept their distance, but she was "anointed" so that means to "Jehovah" she was really special(tm).

Someone in the KH called this woman's worldly daughter and told her what happened. (I wonder why they didn't call an ambulance.) The daughter was told about her mother's treatment and she yelled, "you idiots! My mother is in a diabetic coma! Given her a candy bar or something with sugar in it. Now!"

That was done and the mother came right out of it.

"Spirit-directed" my ass! More like Faithful and Discrete Quacks.

Farkel

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

This sister I used to work with a decade ago told me the reason I was having lose weight was because I drank tap water. Swore tap water made your body hang onto fat. I replied, Anna, the reason I'm having trouble losing weight is that I'm not actually trying to...

And ive heard the apricot kernels too, and a bro I knew got into colloidal silver to the point of getting grey and he had to use foundation on his skin when he gave talks!!

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

That is, having trouble losing weight, not having lose weight...

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

The weirdest advice was I was taught since I was a little kid that no matter what happened I should have faith that it would be undone and I would live happily ever after in the new world.

What these good doctors left out was that the weekly treatments of bullshit would prove to be exhausting and would eventually separate me from my family causing me to be the bad guy.

At least they're still on track to living the real life...for now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit