Notes from a Recent Discussion with a relative of why I am not an active JW anymore.

by JakeM2012 59 Replies latest members adult

• biometrics
    biometrics
    Millions now living will never die

Remind you of something?

Gen 3:4 (NWT) - At this the serpent said to the woman: "Y OU positively will not die".

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Excellant logic and rebuttal JakeM2012 I hope that your friend will start to critically think about what you said. If he doesn't at least you warned him first.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Great response to your friend, the only thing i thought of you could of added is Luke 21:8 in the KJV bible would of been a nice capper to your overall discussion because he would have read that and saw that the bible was agreeing with you.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

Thank you all for your encouraging comments, I didn't plan for a discussion like this and it just came out like it did. However, I have been concerned about his belated actions, but so far everything is fine and he continues to call and talk. I do think that was a lot of information for him to process at one time.

Searcher, here are a few. I'm sure there is more.

WT 1979 11/15 Benefiting from one mediator between God and men

20 What, then, is Christ’s role in this program of salvation? Paul proceeds to say: “There is one God, and one mediator between God and men [not, all men], a man Christ Jesus, who gave himself a corresponding ransom for all.”—1 Tim. 2:5, 6.

WT 89 8/15 Questions from Readers

Consequently, 1 Timothy 2:5, 6 is not using “mediator” in the broad sense common in many languages. It is not saying that Jesus is a mediator between God and all mankind. Rather, it refers to Christ as legal Mediator (or, “attorney”) of the new covenant, this being the restricted way in which the Bible uses the term. Jesus is also a corresponding ransom for all in that covenant, both Jews and Gentiles, who will receive immortal life in heaven.

? In what sense does Paul use the term “mediator” when referring to Jesus at 1 Timothy 2:5, 6?

In this text, Paul uses the Greek word me·si′tes for “mediator,” which term has a legal significance, so he is not using this word in the broad sense common in many languages. Hence, Paul is not saying that Jesus is Mediator between God and all mankind. Rather, he is referring to Christ as legal Mediator of the new covenant, which laid the basis for Christ’s anointed followers to share with him in his heavenly Kingdom. (2 Corinthians 5:1, 5; Ephesians 1:13, 14; Hebrews 8:7-13)—8/15, pages 30, 31.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

That was a great conversation. The flow and logic were perfect, and a good choice of topics to cover. I wonder how you friend was left feeling.

• clarity
    clarity

Jake good strong points!

Because your friend was relaxed riding in the car with you,

I would think he would remember every word.

This may just be what causes him to pull out that first card...

and the house will fall down.

Lets hope so.

Good job, thanx for posting those 'eye openers'

clarity

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

How to shut an apostasy up!

YOU presented facts and MR. Elder came back with two questions that are moot:

Who do you think God"s using? Who else is doing the preaching work?

Who really knows who God is using? It is moot.

And it would not matter what you said about preaching work because he was ready to defend the JWs.

I bet he was too focused on asking you those two questions to here your facts.

Some one should start a post just how to answer two main questions.

Good job on the facts.

• besty
    besty

great conversation - could feel your honesty and humility through the discussion

you've certainly put your cards on the table.

• inbetween
    inbetween

Great points, thanks for posting...

• zeb
    zeb

Very very well written. printed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit