Notes from a Recent Discussion with a relative of why I am not an active JW anymore.

by JakeM2012 59 Replies latest members adult

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thank you so much for sharing, and taking the time to write it so well. I particularly like this part:

"what good news do I have to share with anyone in the door to door ministry?” “Not one thing that we have expected has come true and now Watchtower is frantically making changes to all the beliefs that we had” to adjust for their expired interpretations.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS teaches that Jesus is the mediator of the new covenant only for the 144,000 (literal #) of Christians. The new covenant is an agreement for them to rule in heaven with Christ as kings and priests. The WTS teaches that all people can receive the benefits of the ransom through Christ if they believe and act in the way the WTS interprets the Bible.

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/mediator.php

In light of how they interpret 1 Timothy 2:5,6 I can see why it is confusing. The WTS uses to scripture also to show that only Jesus mediates prayer, but for all people.

The WTS often applies 1 Tim 2:5 to Jesus mediating prayer. Why do they then say that Jesus only mediates for the anointed. The GC cannot pray? Quote

*** w04 4/1 p. 32 Should We Call Upon Angels for Help? ***
    However, angels do not serve as intercessors who bring human prayers to the throne of the Most High. God has determined that prayers be addressed to him in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, who said: “No matter what you ask the Father in my name he might give it to you.”—John 15:16; 1 Timothy 2:5.

*** w02 7/1 p. 8 Worship God “in Spirit” ***

Is it proper to pray to Jesus’ earthly mother, Mary, or to particular “saints,” asking them to intercede with God in one’s behalf? The Bible’s direct answer is: “There is only one mediator between God and mankind, himself a man, Christ Jesus.”—1 Timothy 2:5.

*** w75 7/1 p. 402 par. 8 Coming to the Hearer of Prayer ***
    To communicate readily with the heavenly Father, one must accept Christ Jesus as Lord. Peace with God can come only through the appointed way, the ransom provision by the Lord Jesus. (Matt. 20:28; 1 Tim. 2:5, 6)

*** w75 2/15 p. 112 Insight on the News ***
    As for intercession, 1 Timothy 2:5 says: “There is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus.” And Jesus himself said: “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”—John 14:6, 14.
  • Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

”Bill, it is an act of apostasy if someone joins the YMCA, but Watchtower can go join the U.N. for 10 years along with the Catholic church and other religions, and it’s ok.” He said, well, you wouldn’t want to be part of Babylon the great would you joining the YMCA?” I said, “Bill, you’re missing the point, you can’t take swimming lessons or use the gym at the YMCA, an organization that has a bible in the front foyer and they want to encourage bible principles to young people, but Watchtower can join the U.N. and be on the back of the Wild Beast with the Harlot.”

This is EXACTLY what we told our cousin elder and to him it was no big deal and he actually said "It's not the same thing." ????

How is it different? Sounds the same to me.

Good topic!

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

I guess when you have bonded with the abuser, anything they do is okay and logic flies out the window.

• sleepingbeauty
    sleepingbeauty

Excellent. Going to save this, so in future I can write down my arguments as elegantly

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

Thank you Blondie for that expanded clarification of How WT views the role of Christ as mediator vs. ransom.

Thank you all for reading my post. I had written notes on this conversation months ago but did not post it to this forum because I had privacy concerns. Anyway, after reading your comments, I am happy that I had shared this with all of you. Thanks for your continued community support in recovering.

• VIII
    VIII

Very nice write up. I'm just surprised he didn't try to jump out of the car window. Most JWs I know would have and would not have given you the opportunity to tell them all that you did!

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

I was stoked when you originally posted this thread, as I planned to use the points in conversation with my family that I see once a year. Unfortunately, they refused to converse about religion and are definitely in denial. As their only daughter who has their only grandchild, I think they are avoiding knowing what our status is so they can keep contact. Still, your points are great and I hope to use soon with a couple JW "friends".

• kairos
    kairos

This was a high quality topic!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

About a year before I faded, I actually had a similar conversation with an MS friend of mine regarding evolution.

It went well; he didn't condemn me for the issues I had (or the conclusions I'd come to), and he never ratted me out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit