DID YOU KNOW the latest Brooklyn sell-offs will take total Watchtower earnings to $804 MILLION since 2004?

by cedars 73 Replies latest jw friends

• factfinder
    factfinder

Cedars-

See page 6 of the brochure " Who Are doing Jehovah's Will Today" and page 24 of the 2013 Yearbook of Jehovah's Witnesses.

My figure of 600 languages is correct.

As for The Watchtower see page 2 of the October 15, 2013 issue- it is published in 209 languages.

The figures I state are current and correct.

You are using outdated information and need to keep up with current publications if you are going to write articles about the society's printing operations.

• cedars
    cedars

factfinder

Thanks for the lecture on how I do my research and write articles, but you clearly need to learn a thing or two yourself about relevant information.

The Yearbook quote you mention (thanks for forcing me to look it up rather than quoting it yourself, by the way) is vague and unspecific.

"Jehovah’s Witnesses are already translating Bible literature into some 600 languages. Translating an entire songbook of 135 songs is a particularly daunting task. Yet, within three years the entire new songbook, Sing to Jehovah, was translated into 116 languages. An additional 55 languages have a 55-song version of the songbook, and dozens of other language editions are on the way."

The translation of "bible literature" into 600 languages is very different from the availability of bible literature in 600 languages. The above quote alone shows that even the song book is only fully available in 116 languages, which isn't far off the figures I quoted for Watchtowers and Awakes.

In making my quotes, I quoted relevant information based on the discussion at hand, which focuses on magazines.

It seems you want to switch the focus away from magazine printing even though it represents a significant portion of the Society's print commitments.

Cedars

• Oculos Aperire
  • Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

I'm reminded of the company Sun Micro Aquired by Oracle corporation for 7.4 billion. They had antiquated technology and Billions in real estate holdings in Santa Clara. It's not like WTBTS has endless assets to spend down. They need to sell stock.

• factfinder
    factfinder

Cedars-

I am not switchting the subject away from magazine printing.

I have agreed with you already that there has been a reduction in the page count of the magazines.

But you ignore all of the other printing the society does.

Page 6 of the brochure Who Are Doing Jehovah's Will today stated that the good news is being shared in more than 600 languages.

Why is a reduction in page count of the public w and the g such a big concern for you?

Have you not noticed other magazines have trimmed their page count as well?

Also, you call me "stupid" and a "watchtower apologist' on FB and unfriend me because I do not agree 100% with you on your views . Thus you resort to name calling. You feel I am an active witness and because I do not see everything according to your view I am "stupid" and a wt apologist? Sounds like you are trying to pull me away from the jws and to follow you instead.

To be clear, I have been inactive for the past 7 years, have not been to meetings in nearly 8 years.

I understand people on jwn have had bad experiences with jws and I am not trying to convince them to go back. I had bad experiences too as I had mentioned in pasts posts.

But because I don't have the negativity towards jws anymore you unfriend me. That is your desicion. You are not being fair or objective John. You want to paint EVERYTHING regarding jws as negative and that is up to you.

To me not everything they believe is false, not everything is black and white.

I may not ever go back to meetings, I don't know yet if I will. But I try to be fair-minded and objective in my research. I want to know both sides. We do not have ALL of the facts as to why the wts does certain things.

I have found much helpful information on this website and I am glad.

But I refuse to be as negative towards the wts as I was.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

They made 800 million. they are like a rich old grandma. Why would you be negative to a filthy stinkin' rich old grandma.

• factfinder
    factfinder

Oubleitte,

I agree with you. Years ago I wrote to the society requesting information about how the donations are used, at least a pie chart or something. I did not recieve an answer.

After that I stopped making any donations.

That information is kept secret and should not be but unfortunately the laws concerning privately held not for profit organizations in the US do not require them to go public with such information.

They should.

• Splash
    Splash

If it takes a team of 10 people two weeks to translate some WT material into one new language, how long does it take to translate that same material into 10, 50, 200 more languages?

Answer: Two weeks.

Every time a new language is needed, more volunteers are added. The total man hours goes up, but the lead time (elapsed time) remains at two weeks.

Splash

• cedars
    cedars

factfinder

Also, you call me "stupid" and a "watchtower apologist' on FB and unfriend me because I do not agree 100% with you on your views . Thus you resort to name calling. You feel I am an active witness and because I do not see everything according to your view I am "stupid" and a wt apologist? Sounds like you are trying to pull me away from the jws and to follow you instead.

I don't go airing dirty laundry in public, that's not my style. I've expressed myself to you in private, and I have nothing further to add to what I told you. I made it clear in my final few words to you that I don't believe you to be stupid, that I believe you are in fact a WT apologist. Already, only a few minutes later, you are misrepresenting what I said.

This is not about whether you agree or disagree with me. This is about me not wasting my time with people who approach me on FB with sob stories under the pretense that they need help, and then mount a robust defense of the organization on another website putting up smokescreens to distract from important information.

That's all I have to say.

Cedars

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

I wouldn't think that for each language printed that the plates have to be changed. With the sorting machinery they have, several languages could be printed from one plate because the magazines do have fewer pages.

In languages where there is a minimal run, I would think that they are not using the large presses someone would see on tour. Perhaps there are some smaller presses for these languages with a minimal order.

The Society has already had issues growing accustomed to the advanced presses they use for mass printing. They recognized that it took some time for the press to "warm" up and get the color right, and even changed their schedule in the press room to accomodate the presses. The problem was that they would just start to get the quality they desired and would have to shut the press down for lunch or the end of the day.

Personally, they have such advanced printing presses that they probably are faced with over capacity on their printing needs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit