DID YOU KNOW the latest Brooklyn sell-offs will take total Watchtower earnings to $804 MILLION since 2004?

by cedars 73 Replies latest jw friends

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

cedars: I understand your point, but the truth is that (unless we get to see a copy of the Society's accounts) we have absolutely no way of knowing just how well donations are keeping pace with all Watchtower's operational costs, including printing literature and maintaining facilities.

This is something that always really bothered me: Why is it that every congregation must publicly disclose the status of their accounts each month, but the WTBTS "mother ship" never, ever discloses their finances?

This is just wrong.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Cedars - "The recent organizational downsizing ("consolidation" of branches, reduction in magazine printing) would indicate that there is a shortfall somewhere along the line, and the Society is having to adapt accordingly."

Oh, totally.

"Adapt" isn't the word I'd use, though; it implies that the WTS is capable of significant adaptation (and I've come to the conclusion it's not).

Don't know what word I would use, though.

• cedars
    cedars

factfinder, so you're insinuating that the printing presses will be busier than ever because they need to "be shut down and set up again" for more new languages, and this will make up for the 39% reduction in printed magazine pages? I just don't see it. Watchtower is printed in 45 more languages than it was in 2005. I don't see how that will make a huge difference operationally. Besides, it's not like the Society are paying for downtime on the press in terms of wages with a volunteer workforce.

There was nothing unusual about the releases at this year's convention in terms of print volume. They just chose to count in tracts as "new releases" whereas in yesteryear these would have been announced at the meetings. A print run of new Kingdom News tracts is also nothing the Society hasn't handled in years gone by. I fail to see anything in the Society's print demands that goes anywhere near to filling the gap left by a 39% reduction in magazine printing.

Cedars

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Cedars - "It seems you dismiss evidence you don't like, exaggerate the arguments of your opponents to make them appear ridiculous, and produce irrelevant information to support your assertions."

The use of less-than-scrupulous means to reinforce an ideology's legitimacy inevitably undermines that legitimacy.

• factfinder
    factfinder

cedars-

thank you for your article. It raises some good questions and I agree with you that the cutbacks are being done for financial reasons, which should not be if Jehovah is backing the work.

The questions therefore is: what exactly is being done with the money? What about the $800 million taken in thus far for the sale of the Brooklyn properties?

My guess is that with donations down, costs rising and as you mentioned-stagnating growth in wealthier countries while there are increases in poorer countries who cannot donate, they are putting money away for future use, so that they can keep operating in the years to come.

But I remember them saying Jehovah is their backer and as such they will never beg or petition men for support. They do not charge for the literature which makes it widely available to anyone and everyone regardless of their economic status, but, why is not Jehovah causing wealthier people to contribute more so cutbacks are unnecessary?

With the money coming in from the sales of the Brooklyn properties and the closing of branch offices there would be enough to restore the magazines to 4 different 32-page issues per month, as before the cutbacks. But I doubt this will happen.

They will hold on to the money for future use and we will have to just get used to the thinner magazines and any other cutbacks that take place.

• sir82
    sir82

If indeed the Society is not slowing down its printing operations, that would be the height of stupidity.

Printing is a dying art - within a generation (non-overlapping) or 2, printed material in the western world will be about as common as vinyl LPs - a niche market, catering to nostalgia buffs & hipsters.

The Society will continue to print its drivel for the 3rd-worlders (with little or no e-reader access) who will comprise the modest "growth" they will experience in years to come.

But if they really aren't scaling back their printing operations now - if ink-on-paper is still their primary business model for the foreseeable future - they are even dumber than we give them credit for.

• factfinder
    factfinder

Cedars-

The increase of languages the society prints literature in since 2005 is over 200! Yes, it takes a great amount of time to produce publications in that many languages.

Remember, besides the magazines the society prints about 100 million Bibles and books, 200 million brochures and booklets and 400 million tracts, not to mention hundreds of millions of other items, each in scores if not hundreds of languages.

Downtime counts because they have a strict deadline for publications (especially the magazines) to be shipped out to the 111,000 congregations on time so that witnesses in 239 lands can study them the same week. Most if not all of the publications are now being printed simultaneously- we have no idea of how much time, effort, and work is involved in that.

No other printing company on earth prints in anywhere near as many languages as Watchtower.

RR Donnelley & Sons is the largest commercial printer in the world. They print in 32 languages.

The reduction in magazine pages allows the magazines to be printed faster once the presses are set up and running, but the work involved in translating and preparing the publications by the more than 3,000 volunteer translators in over 200 countries, takes time.

Again, you are focusing only on magazine production (which according to the figures you provide came to over 1.2 biillion copies last year). I agree that the pages printed in the magazines is down.

But that does not mean there is less work going through the factories as I mentioned in my post. More language editions of any publications requires more time and work. In 2011 the society was translating and preparing literature in 500 languages. Now it is over 600 languages. Every publication they come out with requires more translation work, thus more seperate, individual print orders than ever before. Again, it takes extra time and preperation to get these items produced.

• cedars
    cedars

factfinder

The increase of languages the society prints literature in since 2005 is over 200!

I'm starting to wonder how you got your name...

*** w05 2/1 p. 32 “Keep on the Watch” ***
    With a worldwide circulation of more than 26,000,000 copies in 150 languages, The Watchtower is the most widely distributed religious magazine in the world.

*** w12 8/15 p. 7 par. 14 “I Am With You” ***
    The Watchtower is now published in 195 languages. It is the most widely circulated magazine on earth, with a circulation of 42,182,000 copies each issue.

Cedars

• Oculos Aperire
    Oculos Aperire

I wonder if anyone has tried to calculate how many trees have been and continue to be shredded to produce the vast ammounts of literature over 130 years as they have?

Ecclesiastes 12:12

(English Standard Version)
    My son, beware of anything beyond these. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

• cedars
    cedars

Even though I find the maker of this video irritating and juvenile, the video does demonstrate why magazine circulation figures should not be given too much credence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URzozEjxgT4

Cedars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit