DID YOU KNOW the latest Brooklyn sell-offs will take total Watchtower earnings to $804 MILLION since 2004?

by cedars 73 Replies latest jw friends

• Eldenno
    Eldenno

Cedars "I understand your point, but the truth is that (unless we get to see a copy of the Society's accounts) we have absolutely no way of knowing just how well donations are keeping pace with all Watchtower's operational costs, including printing literature and maintaining facilities. The recent organizational downsizing ("consolidation" of branches, reduction in magazine printing) would indicate that there is a shortfall somewhere along the line, and the Society is having to adapt accordingly."

Here is what we do know,....

The consolidation is a smart move simply because it enables them to do more with less costs. Also there is no reduction in printing. It is true that the magazines contain less pages since january 2013 but at the same time they started to print them in more and more languages. In some other languages they now print them every month instead of every quarter (take for example the Yoruba language spoken in Nigeria). Besides that they release more brochures and tracts more often.

You also mentioned the costs they spend on "caring for special pioneers, missionaries and traveling overseers in their field service assignements."

These are the figures since 2000 for the expenses on "caring for special pioneers, missionaries and traveling overseers in their field service assignements."

In 2000 $66 Mill.

In 2001 $70,9 Mill.

In 2002 $72,4 Mill.

In 2003 $80 Mill.

In 2004 $93Mill.

In 2005 $104 Mill.

In 2006 $111 Mill.

In 2007 $121 Mill.

In 2008 $141 Mill.

In 2009 $140 Mill.

In 2010 $155 Mill.

In 2011 $173Mill.

In 2012 $184 Mill.

As you and any other can see they used more and more every year for "caring for special pioneers, missionaries and traveling overseers in their field service assignements." Let me remind you that the biggest financial crisis since WWII was between 2008 and now, but despite that, they managed to spent more and more on all kinds of things and expand instead of downsizing.

They may print less thicker magazines but on the other hand their New World Translation is now printed in well over 115 languages (compare that with 1993 18 languages & 2003 about 45 languages) not to mention their biblestudy book 'What does the Bible really teach?' (published since 2005) that is printed in even more languages. In total the Jehovah's Witnesses are now printing literature in more than 600 different languages and this number of languages is growing month after month.

Project JW.ORG

As we all know the Jehovah´s Witnesses decided to combine several domains/websites (www.watchtower.org, www.jw-media.org & www.jw.org) and merge them into one (www.jw.org). On the 28th of august 2012 this new website did go live. They introduced and promote a new brand and logo and make readers aware of the online content that is offered.

So what can we say after almost one year? Was it a wise decision and does their new internet strategy and approach pay off?

In this world there are over 633 Million different websites (last time they were indexed was dec 2012). There are a few companies that do monitor internet traffic statistics and who do publish a ranking list. The most well known company that does this is www.alexa.com. Another site that give some clear insight is www.statscrop..com

So what do these monitoring websites tell us? From 2009 till august 2012 www.watchtower.org was ranked around nr. 20,000 of the worlds most visited websites. During the same period the domain www.jw-media.org was ranked between nr. 60,000-100.000 and www.jw.org was ranked around nr 40,000 in 2009 to around rank 10,000 during 2011.

What is the position of www.jw.org now?

According to www.alexa.com the website www.jw.org is ranked as number 1831 on the list of the worlds most visited websites. Of the 87,116 websites monitored in the category ´ Religion and Spirituality´ they are ranked nr 2,.. with only the bible itself (www.biblegateway.com) above them as nr 1.

Know that there are 1.2 billion catholics on this planet and 1.5 billion muslims but still no website of them even come close. Even the website of the vatican (www.vatican.va) itself is stuck at position 11,166

So lets summarize,.. 633 Million websites on earth... www.jw.org is ranked at position 1831 of the worlds best visited websites and of the 87,116 Spiritual and religious websites on this planet they are the nr 2 with only the bible itself above them. We can say that it was a smart move to emphasize on and renew their website. Furthermore its good to know that they get these results without spending a dime on internet marketing and advertising.

• Eldenno
    Eldenno

@Gayle you and others forget that 'donations' are not only made by publishers but also by many of the revisited readers of those publishers. I know of readers who give a 10 euro note (about 13 US dollars) for just 1 issue of Watchtower and Awake,.. and that every month.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Goes to show how far you can take lying and bullshitting in the religious printing and publishing business.

Retrospectively you can see why the WTS. doesn't want anyone messing with their product. ( ie. human apostates. )

• designs
    designs

Religion is still a profitable business. Southern Baptist Convention takes in something like $15Billion annually, Presbyterians about half that amount, not sure of the LDS but it has to be up there. Wt. is small potatoes in the religion scam world but because people need their fixes people send in money to the monkey gods on a regular basis.

• cedars
    cedars

Eldenno

The consolidation is a smart move simply because it enables them to do more with less costs.

Smart? Undoubtedly. In harmony with the aspirations of an evangelical organization that seeks to reach the "entire inhabited earth" with its message? Not at all. Whereas once the opening of new branches was trumpeted as evidence of God's blessing of "wondrous expansion," now the branches are quietly closing one-by-one apparently necessitated by the need for reduction in overheads. The excuse? Bethel personnel need to spend more time out in field service.

Also there is no reduction in printing. It is true that the magazines contain less pages since january 2013 but at the same time they started to print them in more and more languages.

Actually, I've run the numbers and there IS a reduction in magazine printing. Admittedly it wasn't as considerable as I had expected since the Society claims circulation of both Watchtower and Awake has increased dramatically since 2005, but despite this increased circulation there has still been a reduction in printed magazine pages per month.

2005 was the year the Society announced the first reduction in magazine pages, so let's use that as our starting point...

THEN Watchtower had circulation of 26 million, so that meant 1.664 billion printed pages per month. (2 x 32) * 26,000,000 = 1.664 billion

THEN Awake had circulation of 22 million, so that meant 1.4 billion printed pages per month. (2 x 32) * 22,000,000 = 1.408 billion

COMBINED 3.072 billion printed magazine pages per month in 2005

NOW Watchtower has circulation of 42,182,000, which means 2,024,736,000 printed pages per month. (32 + 16) * 42,182,000 = 2,024,736,000

NOW Awake has circulation of 41,042,000, which means 656,672,000 printed pages per month. 16 * 41,042,000 = 656,672,000

COMBINED 2.681 billion printed magazine pages per month in 2013

That's a decrease in printed magazine pages of 390,592,000 per month.

I'm no mathematician, so if I've tripped up somewhere in my figures (as has been known to happen), please let me know. However, despite my surprise at the increased circulation, it's noteworthy that the Society is still doing less magazine printing than it was doing 8 years ago.

Again, you have to ask - is this in harmony with the faithful and discreet slave's aspirations to be providing spiritual food at the proper time? Either we were receiving too much food in 2005, or we aren't receiving enough in 2013. Which is it?

They may print less thicker magazines but on the other hand their New World Translation is now printed in well over 115 languages

Though the printing of bible translations is commendable, you cannot compare bible printing with magazine printing. Magazines are required by publishers on a monthly basis. Unless the publisher is extremely clumsy, usually he or she only requires a new Bible every few years.

On the 28th of august 2012 this new website did go live. They introduced and promote a new brand and logo and make readers aware of the online content that is offered.

What does that have to do with the topic of this thread? And since you raised the subject, what do you think about the fact that the FAQs on JW.org are so misleading?

As you and any other can see they used more and more every year for "caring for special pioneers, missionaries and traveling overseers in their field service assignements."

Yes, it is noteworthy that spending on personnel has increased dramatically in recent years - but we have no way of knowing the causes behind this, or how much of the increased spending is through organizational expansion or through necessity (i.e. increased cost of living).

Cedars

• cedars
    cedars

Further to my last post, I've been pondering my calculation for magazine printing and I realize that I made a glaring oversight.

Clearly the "study edition" of the Watchtower DOES NOT have a circulation of 42 million, since it is intended solely for JWs. Therefore, let's assume that there are currently 8 million publishers, and each one receives TWO study editions each month - one in their native language, the other in English Simplified. This would give the Study Edition a rather generous circulation of 16 million.

If we re-run the above calculation on that basis, I estimate that the Society is currently printing 1.844 Billion magazine pages per month (including the Awake!)

(32 pages *16 million circulation = 512 million monthly printing for Study Edition)

(16 pages *42,182,000 circulation = 674,912,000 monthly printing for Public Edition)

512,000,000 + 674,912,000 = 1,186,912,000 monthly printing for Watchtower

1,186,912,000 Watchtower pages + 656,672,000 Awake pages = 1,843,584,000 printed magazine pages per month

So that's a notable reduction of 1.228 BILLION printed magazine pages per month - a 40% drop since 2005.

Again, if there's any holes in my calculations, let me know.

Cedars

• cedars
    cedars

I've actually gone back and redone all my calculations based on the very latest figures I could find.

Here are my calculations to show the reduction in magazine printing since 2005 (for anyone interested)....

magazine

Cedars

• Oculos Aperire
    Oculos Aperire

Just curious Cedars... do you check your private messages?

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks Oculos - sorry I missed your PM. I've replied!

Cedars

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Firstly Mr cedars I realy do enjoy reading your threads. I find them fascinating and well researched. Sometimes I think there is nothing more to know, and then you make a thread which makes me realize I knew nothing. I like the different angles you use which realy get me thinking.

OK now the subject at hand. Are the contributions covering the printing costs. It wouldn't surprise me if they weren't. I say this for a number of reasons. (1) I had a friend who was accounts and magerzine servant at the same time, and I remember him making a comment that he was "embarrassed at what he used to send away to the society in donations". For his cong he reckoned there was a massive short fall between what came in and what went out. Of course he didnt know what I knew.

(2)I have observed at assemblies the boxes of literature and people queing to get them but I have never seen the same que around the donation boxes. In all fairness the pubs may perhaps donate latter.

(3)I have seen countless magerzine a been thrown away, by publishers. Personally myself it has been years since I donated any money, and when I did it was perhaps $20. Now that I am slowly turning apostate but no one knows I go and get a handful of magerzine and just throw them out, in my silent protest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit