Your views and ideas on forum areas and organization?

by Simon 147 Replies latest forum announcements

• cofty
    cofty

I almost always spell "the" as "teh". I have started using the preview button which seems to make mistakes easier to spot before hitting submit.

I agree no more than 30 minutes to sort errors is a good thing.

Goodbye Vindictivegirl. Turns out you were a liar as well. Who would have thought it?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I have a couple suggestions that would make things easier for me:

It'd be nice if there was a way to sort topics in the reverse of how they're sorted currently (especially for the "active topics" screen). I normally have the site open on one tab and just check back and refresh periodically and scan through the topics that changed since the last one that was on the screen before the refresh. That all works great, but right after the topics roll over to another page there's like 3 topics there and I have to pull up another tab with the stuff that's a little older. If the topics where sorted so that the most recently active topic was the first one on page 1, I'd never have that problem. It's a minor issue, but I'm anal about efficiency, so it hurts my soul when I have to do extra clicks

A "quote" button on other people's posts that would stick the block quotes of their post into the reply text box, maybe with their username as well. This is common on other forums I've used and it really makes it easier to consistently show who you're responding to (if you're responding specifically to someone else's post). Very handy, IMO.

If you took the quote thing a step further, you could make it so that there's no way the user can edit the text he's quoting in his post. That'd fix the editing issues being discussed as well, because everyone would be able to see what someone's post said at the time of the reply.

• bigmac
    bigmac

Paris / Village girl - just give it up. You registered the same day your previous account was deleted and from the same IP address ... what are the odds.

I notice your IP changes frequently so you are trying to hide your identity. I believe you are only here to try and disrupt things so you are not welcome.

ive changed my mind---village girl---there is a god after all. LOL

• Simon
    Simon

Island Man: I have some other options for default avatars that I'm going to try. I will also provide the facility for people to upload an image again or refresh the gravatar image themselves (or have changes picked up automatically). Also, I agree on the line widths - the new site will have a larger font and shorter lines. It looks strange at first but it's much more readable.

OneEyedJoe: I originally liked the pages being like a book that filled up where page 1 would always be the first but it does mess things up with the changeover so I'm going to switch to the pages always being full and you'll be able to sort by date topic started, date last updated or number of posts both forwards and backwards - this will work for the entire forum, for any level of subject and also for any author.

I'll look at making the quoting easier - I have a new editor which seems to be much nicer, mobile friendly, handles image uploads etc... I also have emoji's working so you can just enter the text and have the images appear (or stay as text if you're on a mobile device as a preference).

See: http://www.emoji-cheat-sheet.com/

The editing limit should be one of those things that's flexible and based on trust. It's mostly there to stop idiots who try to cause trouble by insulting then editing and then claiming victim status but also for people who want to ruin old topics by going back and deleting all their posts.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Hey Simon any idea when this new format will be introduced into full operation ?

Been waiting patiently for awhile now. Fink.

• Simon
    Simon

I know, I've been working at it on and off and sometimes lose momentum but I think I'm close to getting it finally up. I'm hoping for switchover in the next 3-4 weeks.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I would love to change my Avatar - but can't remember the email address I signed up with as I created it especially for this.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Thanks Simon appreciate your work on this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit