Your views and ideas on forum areas and organization?

by Simon 147 Replies latest forum announcements

• DJS
    DJS

More Paris stuff,

I've reviewed your posts since you joined a little over a month with no introduction: Hates men, Supports the segregation of atheists away from theists. Paints with a broad brush. Hates elders (men), Likes to talk about science but I can't freaking figure out what she is saying.

All of these things are identical to Village Girl.

Village Girl. Hello young lady. Nice to see you again.

• Paris
    Paris

Gee, I feel so loved by all you guys. I actually do like men DJS.

I am dying to meet villagegirl and we could go out for a beer with Cofty.

I also think new avatars woud be great. Cartoony, but a little more humanoid and less monstery. Or even animals or flowers.

Simon, I have no desire to turn the site into a Christian site. Its an ex-jehovah's Witness site. And it seems to attract a lot of JW's still attending meetings and searching for a way out.

Simon said: " which dumfounds theists who claim something hasn't been proven" and " Just being insulting during a civilised discussion is rude"

Is calling me dumfounded, rude ? Let me see there is people who think, and then Theists ? Dumfounded at simple science ? Nah that can't be construed as rude can it ? I see the problem, the former poster, talked about science, and she was a Theist ? and therefore, she should have been "dumbfounded" and frightened by science ? And you see similar evil traits in me ?

Have I been rude? Can you enlighten me or when and where I was rude ? I wasted years on a dumb religion, so how can I know that and think I had or have anything all figured out ? I don't. I confess, I like science. I subscribe to Scientific American, a great journal.

Simon you have my personal email: to which is attached my real name, thats what I meant.

• Paris
    Paris

Really? You can't see that is insulting? Imagine someone saying "Have you ever met any [Jews / Black people / Nigerians] the [Hamas / Ferguson cops / Ebola] are doing us a favor" and then claiming that it's not too bad ..

I do see your point here Simon.

Simon - I told you what I said honestly- and if you go to the thread you will see , I EDITED and REMOVED the comment immediately when it offended someone. Which brings up the EDIT issue. Having more time to think through a post or being able to edit it anytime, even the next day, like you can on Facebook ? It would add to the civility factor and improve overall quality I think. There must be function to link comments with posters? And allow them to edit or remove their own comments any time ?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think to do as you suggest Paris, would change the fundamental nature of this place. We all know we have 30 minutes to edit, and we all know we should think about what we write as we do it, some of us even proof read what we have written, another opportunity to edit our thoughts.

If we really are concerned we can contact a Mod to have something removed, and they can judge the merits of so doing.

To do as you say is only for the benefit of those who write ill-considered posts and then feel shame for having done so.

Let their shameful views be on here for all time I say. And what about the rest of the Thread, removed too because now it makes no more sense, your post having been removed, but replies still being there ?

Some also would wish to be like the WT/JW Org and edit the past, as they did with their Bound Volumes, so that they can deny what they said.

Again I say, be careful what you write, then let it stand, even if it does make you look silly later.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Could we have a option to edit out profiles ? I'm not Bob Grimbo when I signed up some years ago I suppose I wanted to have some subderfuge as I was still in contact with family members still in, since the shunning has been stepped up severley I really counld not care who knows who I am now, plus please make quoting and posting pictures far easier

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Paris: Having more time to think through a post or being able to edit it anytime, even the next day, like you can on Facebook ?

(I'm repeating what Phizzy alluded to):

Sounds exactly like what WT does. WT wants to revise and/or delete it's own history when the reality of it's absurdity sets in, then, rather than man-up and acknowledge, "yes, we said that", they choose to delete it altogether and pretend it never existed. Well, thinking people can see right through that tactic and recognize it for what it is: dishonest Revisionism. You may rant ad nauseum about WT, Paris, but it seems you still retain admiration for some of WT's methodologies that suit your needs.

The only reason I can see for a person wanting this feature added is for the same purpose: when you begin to feel the heat for the words you write, you can go back, delete or edit them, then claim you never said it and everyone got it all wrong.

"Having more time to think through a post"- Try doing this before you post. It makes all the difference in the world.

I'm with Phizzy on this:

Again I say, be careful what you write, then let it stand, even if it does make you look silly later.

• jonza
    jonza

Thread subscriptions please! :)

• Simon
    Simon

I don't like subscriptions (I presume you mean Email? ... too many headaches) but I would like to add an option to 'favourite' a topic that you are interested in and then have a page that shows you topics with new content. A digest email to something like that would be ok.

The edit limit is there for a reason because certain types like to abuse it - they post insults, rile people up and then go back and edit things to make themselves appear innocent, likely unaware that edits are tracked (I may make the diffs available).

Paris / Village girl - just give it up. You registered the same day your previous account was deleted and from the same IP address ... what are the odds.

I notice your IP changes frequently so you are trying to hide your identity. I believe you are only here to try and disrupt things so you are not welcome.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The edit limit is there for a reason because certain types like to abuse it - they post insults, rile people up and then go back and edit things to make themselves appear innocent,

likely unaware that edits are tracked (I may make the diffs available).....Simon

Thats one of the best features on this forum..

You have 30 minutes to go back and correct spelling mistakes,add another thought..ect..ect..

Then it`s set in stone..

The only people it doesn`t benifit ,are people who would like to change their own posting history..

I hope you don`t make the diffs available Simon..

I don`t want to be reminded it took me 4 trys to get the post the way I like it..LOL!!..

..........................................OUTLAW

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

It doesn't matter how many times I proof read a post the minute I hit submit I will discover a spelling mistake or a word, usally "the" in twice so I quite often edit my posts for that reason.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit