I mentioned I was cleaning the forum archive when I bumped this thread by oompa:
Rather than turn that into a discussion of the archive, I'll answer slimboyfat's concern here.
The things I'm clearing up are either:
- time specific and non JW related (e.g. "did you watch American Idol last night?", 2002)
- blatant fluff ("what's your favourite ice-cream / pizza / pet food")
- topics about topics (either "where is" or "help me find")
- topics about the forum itself (errors, how-to's, support especially related to previous versions)
- spats two anonymous people had on the internet a decade ago.
- trolls, topics about trolls, smut etc...
- what the weather is like 'today' (e.g. some random day 8 years ago)
The reason I'm doing this is to prevent the really valuable topics in the archive being lost in all the other topics.
Some topics will live forever and will always be kept, some were a moment in time when certain people came together, made some friendships, shared some thoughts and moved on. I am going to keep most of those, just not every last argument and bit of fluff that happened along the way.
It's actually been quite moving. I've re-lived how the forum developed and grew and people came and went. People met and married, even had kids (that are probably 10 now !!) and some of us kept in touch, some moved on, some fell out and sadly a few died or suffered terrible losses - life happened. It's probably a bit melodramatic but it feels like watching the end of Lost - we're just a bunch of random people who've made special connections. They will never be forgotten or removed.
So, rest assured the archive will be kept - not 100% in entirety because not every single last topic is super-valuable and by doing this I hope the forum archive will be more useful as a whole and helpful to anyone who comes across it in future.