Why does god kill children?

by Comatose 269 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

After tec came up with several justifications for the atrocities committed by the Israelites to take the Promised Land, I asked her if she thought that the immoral actions of people like Hitler, Genghis Khan and Pol Pot was acceptable. Her answer:

They were wrong because there was no love and no mercy shown to their fellow man in what they did. They built their kingdoms on the blood of others, and so their kingdoms are not clean.

So, while seeing clearly that the genocides and other crimes committed by Hitler, et al. are inexcusable, she cannot/will not draw the same correlation to the identical atrocities committed by the Israelites. In the case of Israel, the pagan's 'had it coming', (including infants and animals) which made genocide acceptable. Or, tec simply dismissed the accounts as inaccurate or scribal lies/misinterpretations.

I'm sure tec's response will be, "Jesus would never ask that of me", and quickly move on.

• tec
    tec

It's "so very simple", but you can't even agree with yourself, tec.

If you can point out an instance of this, by all means, please do.

I think it more likely that you are seeing contradictions because you are misconstruing something I have said. We both know that has happened a couple of times in this thread already. But if you point something out that you believe is a contradiction, then I am more than happy to respond.

You've gone to the dark side. You can anticipate tec's answer.

Lol... at least he is listening... a little, even if he does not agree. His answer for me was somewhat correct, but not fully. (Christ does not 'take action' and kill unbelievers either)

I'd like to ask Tec, if Jesus told you that you were to have an active part in carrying out his will that involved killing unbelievers, would you do it?

Good morning Iceltic!

It is true that He would not ask that. He, Himself, does not DO that to begin with. That is not His will.

I know that many will consider that a cop-out answer, so I will try to go along for arguments sake. In that case, I would remind Him that it goes against everything that He has ever taught me. I mean, I would not even be ABLE to do that without becoming someone other than He has helped me to become. That one command would go against all of His others, and I would not be able to trust that it was my Lord speaking to me. So obeying that one command, would mean disobeying the Lord that I have loved and followed. I could not do that.

I'm sorry. I think that is the best I can do. I hope it helps with your question. It is hard to play along with something that I know my Lord would not ask of me.

Peace to you!

tammy

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

There's no getting around the fact that the bible says that god instructs those who hear his voice to go and slaughter people. Disgusting.

Also, if the entire bible isn't scripture, which part is and which part isn't? ( again, I ask Tec this) so as to know exactly which part is inspired and which part is not.

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

But The Lord asked his followers to do that very thing in the OT, god is god is he not, isn't jehovahs will the same now as it was then? Doesn't the bible say that god, through Jesus, executed that will? Which would seem to indicate that Jesus instructed gods followers to murder.

• Comatose
    Comatose

But tec... Isn't that what happened to Abraham? He went along with it. It did not make sense to him. How could his son become a mighty nation if he was gone. But he trusted god enough to do it. Wouldn't you do what god asked and trust him that you didn't understand but it would all be okay and turn out right in the end?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

tec:

I think it more likely that you are seeing contradictions because you are misconstruing something I have said

--

Interesting. This is the same argument you use to get out of answering what's written in the Bible.

In other words, if I, or someone else, notes your contradictory statements, it's our problem, not yours.

tec:

(Christ does not 'take action' and kill unbelievers either)

2 Thessalonians 1:7-9: "...the Lord Jesus from heaven with his powerful angels in a flaming fire, as he brings vengeance upon those who do not know God ("unbelievers") and those who do not obey (unbelievers) the good news about our Lord Jesus. These very ones will undergo the judicial punishment of everlasting destruction from before the Lord and from the glory of his strength."

tec, either Jesus isn't telling you everything in the private conversations you're having with him, or...you're simply not listening. This verse says Jesus is "taking action" and he is killing unbelievers.

I think I can anticipate your rebuttal to this verse:

1. despite being in the Bible so we can't believe it

2. Jesus didn't say it, Paul made it up

3. it's a scribal lie

4. the scribes misinterpretted it

5. it's not really "scripture" therefore can be ignored

6. humans are attributing things to Jesus that are not true.

7. "vengeance", "judicial", "destruction" and "persecution" actually means everyone gets a pony-even the unbelievers.

Incidentally, remember what the Bible says about Paul: Jesus hand-picked him to be his apostle. Paul wrote more about Jesus than any other Bible writer.

If you accept what the gospels say about Jesus as fact, you have no basis for dismissing what Paul wrote about him either- other than reverting to cognitive dissonance.

• cofty
    cofty
    it was not the voice of my Lord. He does not tell anyone anything that is not from love, or truth. He certainly does not tell anyone to kill another person - Tammy
    Abraham? - Cofty

Still waiting on an answer Tammy.

• Adventurousone
    Adventurousone

Hello Comatose:

I haven't read all the posts on here, but has anyone thought that maybe Jehovah isn't the TRUE GOD. The reason why I say this is because why would a God of love kill children, let alone people, if he's a God of love. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Adventurousone

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Cofty, you breathing, right?

• cofty
    cofty

Yeah not holding my breath.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit