Why does god kill children?

by Comatose 269 Replies latest watchtower bible

• tec
    tec

Cofty, I have no reason to doubt that Abraham intended to carry out whatever God asked of him... but also that he knew, in faith, that he would be walking back with his son Isaac... and that God would provide the sacrifice... even though he might not have known how God would accomplish such things.

It is right there in the writing. Hiding in plain sight... and something that men either overlook, or assume that Abraham was lying for Isaac's sake. But as I said, there is nothing to corroborate that.

Abraham spoke in faith from the truth that was within him.

Peace,

tammy

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

Cofty's post quoting Hebrews 11 shows quite clearly that he was going to kill his son on the orders of God, I can't see any other way around that.

• cofty
    cofty

The writer of Hebrews is explicit that Abraham fully intended to kill Isaac in total obedience to god.

Abraham's faith was not in god being a bluffer but in god's ability to raise Isaac from the dead.

Abraham reasoned that God could even raise the dead, and so in a manner of speaking he did receive Isaac back from death

So Tammy do you agree that god told Abraham to kill his son and that Abraham fully intended to do so?

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

Tec, you sound like an honest and good person, be honest here, don't you think for whatever the reason, god asking Abraham to kill his son was immoral? Just a yes or no.

• tec
    tec

iCeltic...it is not that i think he was playing along... but that Abraham had faith in what God had told him, and his words reflected exactly what his faith told him, even if he did not know exactly how that would happen.

Otherwise, people are inserting meaning onto his words from their own interpretation.

That is just something for people to consider. No one needs to take my word for it. But you asked... and despite the snide remarks about why i had not answered... Cofty himself knows that I do not back away from hard questions, even if my answer is simply that i do not know.

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

Obfuscation and prevarication as I expected.

Tammy you take the prize for intellectual dishonesty.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Tec..Do you feel, then, that it is morally acceptable to kill someone (or be willing to) if a voice/feeling, that you believe to be God, tells you to? After all, He can just supposedly bring them back [to life]..

• tec
    tec

Tec..Do you feel, then, that it is morally acceptable to kill someone (or be willing to) if a voice/feeling, that you believe to be God, tells you to? After all, He can just supposedly bring them back..

Of course not. That is not what happened with Abraham either, though. And as I said earlier... that does not happen, and will not happen.

God has already PROVIDED the sacrifice... and not just in the physical manner in which he did with Abraham and Isaac on that day; but in Christ.

Though He asked that of Abraham... He did not even allow Abraham to do it, because it is GOD who provides for US... not the other way around.

There is your lesson. God needs NO human sacrifice (nor animal sacrifice, though the law required it, and even that is done away)... because HE is the one who provides. We need ONLY have faith in Him, and in the one He sent.

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

God told Abraham to kill his son.

Abraham fuly intended to do so and, according to the writer of Hebrews had faith that god would raise him from the dead.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Also, could you tell me which books (or at least chapters) of the Bible are Gods thoughts/words, preserved faithfully and accurately? And another question comes to mind.. could YOU stab your son to death, even if you 'knew' that he would be healed? Imagine that all such 'communication with God' turned out to be a mental illness, or simply a hopeful and optimistic belief that you merely confirm to yourself as being correct, every time that you hear your own thoughts.. Your son has now bled to death, never to wake up again. Your life as well as his.. has just been destroyed, for a feeling that only you know to be true, and that only you can confirm, with no evidence to prove to anyone but yourself that you were correct to take that life..Yet Abraham, and others like him, placed their own belief and perception of reality above the life of others.. Above even the lives of their own families. Abraham was willing to kill for his belief.. And, if it came to it.. as in Jesus commanded you, so (hypothetically speaking) would you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit