Pronouncing things differently so they don't sound rude. Typical CULT persona. Political correctness?

by punkofnice 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

gojira - Bless you!

Splash - A bro(TM) once started his item about magazine placements with : 'I have trouble with piles...' He was referring to piles of unplaced mags. He was trying to be humerous. Sadly the big bully boys and girls in the cong didn't think it was funny. Pillocks!

• humbled
    humbled

I heard of a brother's slipping up at a study describing the difference of belief between the Pharisees and the Sadducees he said: "The Sadducees didn't believe in the erections----er, ahem--- and that is why they're sad, you see."

• sir82
    sir82

Kind of along the same lines.....if someone mispronounces a word, it continues to be mis-pronounced by every one else thereafter.

Maybe they think they are preventing embarrassment for the guy who misronounced it?

In the "Jeremiah" book, the one currently used in the book study, there was a whole chapter recently on Barcuch, Jeremiah's secretary.

The correct pronunciation, as verified in the bible reading audio on JW.org, is BAR-uck.

One elder took to pronouncing it "ba-ROOK" in his comments. Thereafter, every other person took to pronouncing it ba-ROOK. They must have figured, "he's an elder, he must know how it's supposed to be pronounced."

There was one week where that name was in the study easily a dozen times, maybe more.

Literally, 30 seconds prior to the meeting, the conductor asked me "How do you pronounce it? BAR-uck or ba-ROOK?"

"It's BAR-uck,", I said. "Everybody has been pronouncing it wrong for weeks. It's not ba-ROOK, it's BAR-uck."

"OK" he says, "BAR-uck - got it - thanks."

So he climbs up on stage and virtually the first words from his mouth are "Tonight we'll be studying about ba-ROOK...."

And the reader, apparently not wanting to show him up, pronounces it ba-ROOK for the 12 or 15 times it's read. Every comment is ba-ROOK this, ba-ROOK that.....

And I'm thinking, these people are nuts....

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

humbled - Oh, that's priceless! They must have been a flop.

sir82 -

They must have figured, "he's an elder, he must know how it's supposed to be pronounced

Absolutely! How many times has this happened?!?!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Irondork,

I would never recall on my own. Yes, the substitute expressions are funny. English is such a bastardized language that native speakers are so fortunate. We can go wth Anglo-Saxon,Danish,several types of French and boring English words Now I can use French, Yiddish, and even Chinese for extra emphasis. There is nothing as appealing as using a sterile, dead lanuage.

• cuckoo in the nest
    cuckoo in the nest

Brother carpetcleaner, the WT study conductor was on the platform, trying to sound intelligent as he postulated how Big J's attack on the real world would start. He thought the technology would be neutralised with an electromagnetic pulse (uncharacteristically smart, i agree) caused by "The sun throwing off a bit. A mass ejaculation".

Think he meant a coronal mass ejection.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

About a decade ago there was a revised version of the NWT in French where names of prophets, including the bible book they wrote, and kings were changed to be closer to their original pronunciation. Of course the name of the most known were not changed...still for a while it was very confusing. I just couldn't figure out why the WTS is so concerned about the accuracy of the names of prophets when it accept that Jehovah may not be the accurate rendition of god's name. This led to debates on the meticulously precise pronunciation of names. Some brothers would mispronounce a name and the whole congregation would mimic the same mistake. Today I realize this was a diversion to occupy the brothers mind on meaningless things. BTW should I say DAW RY US or Dari us....

• Shador
    Shador
    "The sun throwing off a bit. A mass ejaculation". Think he meant a coronal mass ejection.

This is a result of what we call "putting a $10 word in a $5 mouth."

Kind of along the same lines.....if someone mispronounces a word, it continues to be mis-pronounced by every one else thereafter.

Reminds me of a funny story. This one week I was the WT reader, and it happend to be the week the Elders were all away at some school. So the conductor was this young MS, an Elder's son and a real square - a true company man boy (he later went to Beth-hell). Anyhoo, the word hyperbole was in the lesson a few times. So I read the paragraph and pronounced it "hyper-bowl". MSBoy reads the question - says "hyper-bow-lee". This goes on for a couple paragraphs, until somone's bible study, who was a schoolteacher, made a comment on a paragraph and pronounced it correctly.

The word was pronounced correctly for the remainder of the lesson.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Julia, you have a PM

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

CitN - Now that's hilarious. Even the Sun masturbates according to that bro(TM)

NVR2L8 - Language is a poor way to communicate at times. Wish I was Professor X.

Shador - Oh, no not Hyper Bowl........American baseball?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit