Pronouncing things differently so they don't sound rude. Typical CULT persona. Political correctness?

by punkofnice 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stillin
    stillin

The TMS conductor here has several times speculated from the platform the reason why the TMS review is no longer called the Oral Review. He thinks it is suggestive of oral sex, so the WTS changed it.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

stillin - Is it not the 'oral review(TM)' anymore?

There was a Jamaican brother(TM) that met a householder who was also Jamaican. The HH said he'd heard of 'Jehov-i-ah'. The brother(TM) then went into length about why it wasn't pronounced that way. I face palmed....as if that was supposed to be 'preaching the kingdom(TM)'.

• Glander
    Glander

A brother assigned to read the paragraphs could not bring himself to pronounce "breasts" which occured two or three times (quotes from Song of Solomon) he substituted "beasts".

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

glander- hilarious!

I remember a sister(TM) would pronounce the trademark god's supposed name as Jih-over. I had no idea what her comments were, I just heard that pronounciation.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

When people mispronounced words I'd try to make an answer using the word, pronouncing it correctly so the plebs wouldn't run around making themselves look stupid. A JW friend of mine used to say, "They're supposed to be representing Jehovah, so what sort of witness is it if they mispronounce words in a public talk? What if an educated person came one day and heard that? He'd think JWs are stupid."

Well, if it quacks like a duck...

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

julia-

What if an educated person came one day and heard that? He'd think JWs are stupid."

Were this person educated what's the chance they'll attend a meeting? Ho de Ho

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Funny you mention it, we actually had a doctor, a general practitioner, come to our hall when studying and she became a JW. And a born-in who'd left, started a law degree, and came back. Then me, a teacher/uni student. You do get the odd educated person wander in.

• prologos
    prologos

where I was, the school overseer had a degree in journalism. corrected where he could.

do not downplay lack of education, it is effective.

WT is looking for that kind of folks.

for obvious reasons.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Julia - It takes all sorts. I wonder if the GP was at a vulnerable stage in his life? How someone can come back in after leaving must indicate that they are still mentally under the mind control.

...or as the WBT$ pronounces it: 'minds must be cleansed.'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit