Pronouncing things differently so they don't sound rude. Typical CULT persona. Political correctness?

by punkofnice 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

irondork - We were also told not to say 'by jove' because it was like saying 'by jehovah'.

Well, all I can say to that is sod Jehovah. Jehovah is a twat...........and it doesn't matter.......Jehovah(TM) doesn't exist...he's just the WBT$ trademarked product.

• besty
    besty

Michael Reid DO - "Satan has wrapped his testicles around the entire earth"

Circuit Assmebly circa 1980, Perth Scotland :-)

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Yes. One Watchtower described the 20th century wars as 'sanguinary' rather than have to use the word 'bloody'.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

besty - Sounds like he made a balls up.

Julia - Bloody's in the Bible. Bloody's in the book. If you don't bloody believe me, have a bloody look! Shakespoke

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Oh yes, 'damn' was not to be said by us Aussies because apparently in America it's a stronger term than it is here. Here it's about as intense as saying 'oh bother' but because in America it was stronger, we Australians got told off by Australian JWs...go figure

I once got told off for saying, "What the...?" because it's short for WTF. I didn't know that at the time because a TV show had a segment simply called 'What the?" and that's where I got it.

More on Bloody: someone got offended by me singing "Sunday Bloody Sunday" by U2.

Or how about how they say "fortunate" instead of "lucky"? That always struck me as ironic, because Fortune comes from the Latin goddess Fortuna! Much worse than "lucky" which has no direct etymological connections to a Roman deity. But you couldn't say lucky because of that scripture they used against gambling, the one about the 'god of good luck'.

But the 'world' does similar though but for good reason, not piffling like the JWs: I used to live near a town called Yorkey's Knob!! Everyone simply referred to it as Yorkey's. You know why.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

On the flip side, some of the terms used in the WT would never be used in Australia as they are considered politically incorrect, such as referring to Asians as Orientals, using gender-specific language, referring to African Americans as "Black", referring to languages other than English as foreign, and a whole host of things.

• gorgia2
    gorgia2

Ànyone ever accidentally said 'bless you' after a JW sneezes?!!!!

I used to get told off for that a lot when I was growing up.

gorgia

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Julia - All good points cobber. Mind you 'what the..' could end with 'Dickens?'

No doubt some PC dub drones would hear the word 'dick'.

I think it was the political correctness in the WBT$ that has made me very ANTI-PC. As a child growing up I felt very stifled by the rules and twattish regulations that uneducated individuals spouted from the podium. I remember my Dad R.I.P. (Presiding Overseer), warned that: 'What is said from the platform becomes LAW.' Good for him....it's a pity he was a JW and brought me up the same....curses!!!!

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

My condolences. Funny how JWs get so offended much more easily than your random worldling.

• Splash
    Splash

I once had the announcements halfway through the Thursday meeting.

The brother on the sound had screwed up the song I introduced by playing the wrong one, playing another wrong one, then finally getting it right.

At the end of the song I said: "Well we finally got it right, Third time..." (pause for effect, audience do a collective intake of breath) "...successful". (Congregation let out a sigh of relief).

Oh I love to tease.

Splash.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit