Is the Universe Conscious?

by still thinking 140 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

Excellent quote TSDF

• still thinking
    still thinking

The only validation of his consciousness he can obtain on earth is the belief and the obedience of others, when they accept his 'truth' as superior to their own perception of reality.

Well...I hope you aren't applying that to me, considering I started this thread. I don't really care what others believe or don't believe any more. But I do like sharing ideas. And getting other peoples opinions. I do NOT consider myself superior to anyone here. In fact, my 'truth' seems to be constantly changing. It is far from superior. it is fluid. I can't tell you how many things I have discovered I am wrong about. Too many to count. And what really gets me excited is when I find out I am wrong...because I have something new and exciting to learn.

Maybe we need to be clear about WHO we are labelling a 'mystic' and do they label themselves as such before we apply this definition to them.

Are the scientists who appear in these two videos 'mystics'?

• still thinking
    still thinking

I enjoy your threads frankiespeakin...always thought provoking and out of the box

• still thinking
    still thinking

It's not about right or wrong, this thread is for discussing what each one thinks or has found on the web. -AB

Thank you. That IS what I asked for.

still thinking Quote:Page 1

Got any thoughts to share? Any other videos, or read any articles on this subject or if you've seen something you felt was thought provoking. Please share it here

All thoughts are welcome and appreciated. For AND against. additional information anyone thinks is relevant or worth sharing. ALL OF IT.

Everyone on this forum has helped me learn, and continues to help me learn. Thank you all.

• still thinking
    still thinking

My final thought for tonight...I'm off to bed

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

ST, I must watch that video (in your op).

I have mixed views about whether or not the universe is conscious and i don't live my life as if it is. But then on the other hand if we are going to think of the universe as being conscious is it conscious of its own cruelty and terrifying nature and is it terrified and oppressed by these things yet still has the courage to continue on? If it is and does that then for me it would be truly alive and conscious, but then again this would only be true each time it looks at itself in its reflection. So in other words to remain alive and conscious it would need to keep doing so - (that would then make sense to say the universe is alive)

• Satanus
    Satanus

A person could start by looking at the interations between the earth and the sun. Both have electromagnetic fields. The earths magnetic field is generated from its spinning metalic core. This field 'protects' the life system on its surface from the suns wind. The suns magnetic field bombards the earth, as do particles and whatnot that it spews in all directions. As well, the suns field acts as a shield to its planets, that shields them from most cosmic bombardments.

They have made recordings of electromagnetic activities both around the earth, and in and around the sun. Listening to those is very fascinating, especially the suns electromagnetic activity. Do the earth sun interactions desribe consciousness? I dunno. They are connected, thats for sure. As well, the sun is connected to its gallaxy. Our gallaxy is connected to the local group. Our galaxy is headed for a collision w another galaxy, that will happen in a few eons.

The whole universe has definite patterns, if viewed from out there, as scientists have put together their pictures of it.

S

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Satan,

Do the earth sun interactions desribe consciousness?

It all depends on what you choose to define consciousness. In our(human) case conciousness means a small part of the psyche were we have images and thoughts and what not that we are for lack of a better term conscious of and then you have the stuff that we(our ego) are below conscious level.

And that is the problem I have with the statement that "the universe is conscious" I'm more inclind to think the Universe is unconscious or more like our unconscious than consciousness and that to is questionable.

• Satanus
    Satanus

It gets back to the basic question that noone can answer, yet, what is consciousness? Personally, i like the term aware or awareness better. Its is a little more focused, thus more useful.

S

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Satan,

Even though it is hard to discribe the exact mechanic of conscious it seems to be an activity within the brain recieving impulses from a network of nerves connected to a spinal cord and processed in the various parts of the brain. Much happens below any type of conscious level with a minuscule amount surfacing to our awareness.

So much of what happens in this control center is unconscious. But some gets claimed by the ego as a conscious thoughts and visions and subject to interpetations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit