Is the Universe Conscious?

by still thinking 140 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

When I listen to or read various "spiritual" conversations dealing with spirit and energy and other mystical buzzwords I keep wanting

to shout: STOP, please--DEFINE YOUR TERMS.

Otherwise, how am I going to know what the hell anybody is talking about?

As far as I know, science has not properly come to terms with "consciousness".

How are we civilians going to improve on that? With imagination?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Interesting video but I'm thinking leaps in logic and not provable, highly subjective. But none the less an interesting idea.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

"You are here."

Yeah right, who took that picture, and how? Think about it.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Obviously not a picture of our milky way galaxy but some other galaxy, as a true picture like the one shown would have to be taken outside the galaxy. If all those other galaxies are showing up then it must be millions of light years away and under much magnification.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

So we are not there then. That picture has always annoyed me.

• sir82
    sir82
    Yeah right, who took that picture, and how?

Commander Ryker, with a Polaroid XJZ-12000

• Satanus
    Satanus

Does inability to define consciousness stop us from experiencing it?

S

• cofty
    cofty
    At the sub nuclear level of reality...we are all one...At the core basis of the universe is a single universal field of intelligence. All the forces of nature and all the particles of nature are all different ripples on a single ocean of existence.

Oh dear!

Has somebody been listening to Deepak Chopra's brand of woo?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Is the universe conscious? I don't know, did the vid give us a reason to think so, eh I feel a bit bamboozled.... Still what did you think? String theory and quantum field theory - no-one understands it yet. Creepy man with syrupy voice. Sorry don't mean to be cynical just giving my impression. The thing I feel I share with you - in the spirit of we all have more in common than we have differences - is that the size of the universe is mind-boggling. When scientists say they understand it, they've nailed it, it just makes me laugh. As dear Douglas Adams said , "Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."

Oh one thing, it reminds me a bit of James Lovelock and his Gaia theory.

• Simon
    Simon

Maybe we're all cells in a giant brain.

We die and are replaced like cells in our own body.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit