Carbon dating and the Global Flood - links needed

by wizzstick 91 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

The Watchtower seem to acknowledge that the Great pyramid of Giza was built 244 years before Noahs' Flood. (2614 BC) (4600 years before 1986 is 2614 BC.)

Awake 1986 1/22nd January pp. 29-30

Watching the World ***What was the air like 4,600 years ago? That is what scientists are hoping to discover when they penetrate an underground chamber on the southwest side of the Great Pyramid of Giza. The 96-foot-long (29 m) chamber, covered by 4- to 6-foot-thick (1.2 to 1.8 m) limestone slabs, is thought to house a second ancient funerary boat for the "soul" of Pharaoh Cheops. The first-only 12 feet (3.7 m) away from the current site-was discovered in 1954. That wooden vessel, 130 feet (40 m) in length and excellently preserved, is on display in a museum built for it. The two pits, some 30 feet (9 m) deep and covered with 10 feet (3 m) of rubble, escaped the ravages of time and tomb robbers. It is expected that the second will be like the first-hermetically sealed by gypsum cement, thus trapping the ancient air. Space-age technology will be used to penetrate the chamber without introducing outside air. This will enable the scientists to measure particularly the carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide in the interior air, compare them with present levels, and perhaps throw some light on the question of whether the earth is really warming up as is believed by some scientists.

• James Brown
    James Brown

I really see it as people are using stones to date stones. I have read what Cofty posted, and what backseat devil

posted.

Are you saying I can take a rock that I know the history of and give it to a paleontologist

and he can accurately date it without me telling him where it came from?

Because that is not the impression I get as to how it works.

The impression I get is I have to tell him where the rock came from and if that is correct that is circular reasoning

that is rock dating rocks.

So whoever thinks they knows how to date rocks tell me can they date a rock I give them accurately

without me giving them any information.

And the same question with a fossil.

Yes or No. I don't think this is rocket science.

Yes or no.

• James Brown
    James Brown

jgnat that picture does make me think of Noahs flood diferently.

• jgnat
    jgnat

wizzstick, to answer your original question, I think a scientist is more interested in what the evidence is saying than in trying to show that a world-wide flood didn't happen. What they do record is several world-wide extinction events (dating doesn't line up with the biblical account).

• jgnat
    jgnat

From what I read about radiocarbon dating, several samples want to be taken from the same rock, and if possible several different dating methods. Those results are then compared to each other to verify their accuracy.

One would have to give a general date range so the correct isotopes are used. For instance, radiocarbon is less certain for dating younger than 10,000 years. This has been explained ad nauseum.

I guess if you think the earth is not much older than 10,000 years, you have a problem.

• cofty
    cofty
    So whoever thinks they knows how to date rocks tell me can they date a rock I give them accurately without me giving them any information.

Yes!

In many cases they will be able to check the date using multiple clocks from the same sample and check that they all give the same date.

Unless you are trying to trick them by giving them a rock that just spewed out of a volcano. In that case they will tell you the results were all over the place and so the sample cannot give a reliable date.

You really haven't read Wien's article have you?

• James Brown
    James Brown

One would have to give a general date range so the correct isotopes are used. For instance, radiocarbon is less certain for dating younger than 10,000 years. This has been explained ad nauseum.

So I understand you to say that I have to tell them how to set the way back machine give them information.

Like Mr. Pebody.

In Psychology 101. That is called confirmation bias. We search for information that confirms our ideas.

I suspect that many here have never been to college or know the basics about thinking and that is why so many

are falling for this baloney.

Most people get through college without becoming evolutionary atheist.

I know many. In fact I know zero evolutionry atheist except for the internet and social media.

Also just in general the above is called circular reasoning.

Whenever you use circular reasoning and confirmation bias you are going up the

creek without a paddle.

I'd rather just say I don't know and be an agnostic than to show everyone why my thinking is

faulty.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I just cannot get over the depth of stupid displayed by Mr. Brown.

I think there should be a new dictionary definition for stupidity

(st-pd-t, sty-)

n. pl. stu·pid·i·ties 1. The quality or condition of being stupid 2. A stupid act, remark, or idea. 3. James Brown - poster on Jehovah's-witness.net

• James Brown
    James Brown
    So whoever thinks they knows how to date rocks tell me can they date a rock I give them accurately without me giving them any information.

Yes!

In many cases they will be able to check the date using multiple clocks from the same sample and check that they all give the same date.

Unless you are trying to trick them by giving them a rock that just spewed out of a volcano. In that case they will tell you the results were all over the place and so the sample cannot give a reliable date.

You really haven't read Wien's article have you?

No I havent read Wiens article. I read what you wrote.

Now I will have to read Weins article.

I am taken aback by you answering yes. So I will read Weins article before further contention.

But I am still not compfortable about them missdating Mount St. Helens Lava. Maybe Wein will

clear that up.

• James Brown
    James Brown

I dont think everybody who calls themselves a Christian is a Christian.

And having read the bible cover to cover 7 times.

In my world anyone who believes in a 4.5 billion year old earth can not be a christian

just by the information in the bible.

But that is neither here nor there when it comes to dating the earth and universe.

We just need the indisputable facts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit