Carbon dating and the Global Flood - links needed

by wizzstick 91 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

James, while you're enjoying your 9,000 year old beer (lol), there's nothing that says that you must be atheist to believe the earth is 4.5 billion years old. The two concepts are mutually exclusive. If you believe in god, then you believe in his infinate ability since the beginning of time. 4 billion years is nothing to him. So things were formed a little slow... so what? doesn't mean god is dead. This isn't an 'all or nothing' scenario. You can believe in god, you can read the stories in the bible and learn from them, be inspired by them, and be motivated by them... while still understanding the physical nature of the earth around us. okay?

Jehovah's Witnesses taught us to take the bible literally, which forgoes the bigger picture of the lessons to be learned... from the culture that wrote them. So you don't have to give everything up just to believe the History Channel or whatever.

I thought I would end with that. :-)

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

the two concepts are NOT mutually exclusive

sorry for the typo

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

In this thread I see one side of the arguement for carbon dating that is backed up with logical reasoning and facts.

I also see James Browns expressions that seem to attack those who have posted these facts, much like a politician would but he has also NOT posted why the others are wrong and why he is right in a reasonable, logical way backed up with facts and evidence.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I have read that carbon 12 is compared with carbon 14 (or the other way around). One decays and its compared to the one that does not. But atmospheric conditions can change the one that does not to throw the whole dating off. Many people argue that the global flood changed the atmospheric conditions making anything dated older no longer accurate.

• cofty
    cofty

crazy guy- Carbon 14 is only used to date relatively young samples up to about 45000 years.

The effects of changing carbon levels in the atmosphere is well understood. The carbon 14 clock has been calibrated accordingly.

Please read pages 13 and 14 of this article for more details...

By the way there was no worldwide flood.

• James Brown
    James Brown

Backseat Devil. The way I see it. If I were to believe in the God of the Bible. I have to believe in a young earth.

Everything in the bible hinges on Jesus and leads back to Adam in a under 5000 year time frame.

If Jesus didn't come to redeem mankind for Adams sin, then the bible is just a bunch of stories.

Why waste my time?

It is true. I don't have to be an atheist to believe in a 4.5 billion year old earth.

But in my mind you can't be a bible believing Christian.

I don't understand how you can be a Christian and not believe the bible.

Or believe the bible but not believe in Jesus.

• James Brown
    James Brown

In this thread I see one side of the arguement for carbon dating that is backed up with logical reasoning and facts.

I also see James Browns expressions that seem to attack those who have posted these facts, much like a politician would but he has also NOT posted why the others are wrong and why he is right in a reasonable, logical way backed up with facts and evidence.

Not sure where to go. Do you have reading comprehension difficulties?

I showed and linked on this site and post that man cannot date rocks.

When they know how old the rocks are they date them wrong. In double blind test.

The only time they think they get the dates right is when there is no way to check the date.

If you want to follow Cofty have at it. I am showing you that man cannot date rocks. And he is saying they

can. But I am giving you evidence and proof he is just saying the evidence is not true, which is Cofty Lying to you.

Here is the evidence it was in this post all along on Page 1 of this post.

Since the same layers of sedimentary rock are to be found all over the world, wherever igneous rock is found above, below or within a layer of sedimentary rock it, and the fossils it contains can be dated. The accuracy of these dates can be confirmed by comparing numerous clocks from numerous samples. Not just the relative ages, but also the actual ages of sedimentary rock layers are now known with certainty coftys words.

They have proven they can not date lava. They dated Mount St. Helens off by 2.8 million years which is in my world much more than

1%. It's an error percentage like 2.8 million percent.

In the scientific community the dating of the Mount St. Helens lava is what is called a double blind test.

Something most people learn in 7th grade biology.

In my opinion your wasting your time arguing with Cofty and the evolutionist/atheist. They are on the highway to hell.

And they are blind to it. They cant even comprehend what they read or say.

The dating test

In June of 1992, Dr Austin collected a 7-kg (15-lb) block of dacite from high on the lava dome. A portion of this sample was crushed and milled into a fine powder. Another piece was crushed and the various mineral crystals were carefully separated out.3 Table 1. What do we see? First and foremost that they are wrong. A correct answer would have been ‘zero argon’ indicating that the sample was too young to date by this method. Instead, the results ranged from 340,000 to 2.8 million years! Why? Obviously, the assumptions were wrong, and this invalidates the ‘dating’ method. Probably some argon-40 was incorporated into the rock initially, giving the appearance of great age. Note also that the results from the different samples of the same rock disagree with each other. The ‘whole rock’ rock powder and four mineral concentrates were submitted for potassium-argon analysis to Geochron Laboratories of Cambridge, MA—a high-quality, professional radioisotope-dating laboratory. The only information provided to the laboratory was that the samples came from dacite and that ‘low argon’ should be expected. The laboratory was not told that the specimen came from the lava dome at Mount St Helens and was only 10 years old.

The results of this analysis are shown in

It is clear that radioisotope dating is not the ‘gold standard’ of dating methods, or ‘proof’ for millions of years of Earth history. When the method is tested on rocks of known age, it fails miserably. The lava dome at Mount St Helens is not a million years old! At the time of the test, it was only about 10 years old. In this case we were there—we know! How then can we accept radiometric-dating results on rocks of unknown age? This challenges those who promote the faith of radioisotope dating, especially when it contradicts the clear eyewitness chronology of the Word of God.

Table 1. Potassium-argon ‘ages’ for whole rock and mineral concentrate samples from the lava dome at Mount St Helens (from Austin 1http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/cm/v23/n3/radiodating).

Sample Age / millions of years
    1Whole rock0.35 ± 0.05
    2Feldspar, etc.0.34 ± 0.06
    3Amphibole, etc.0.9 ± 0.2
    4Pyroxene, etc.1.7 ± 0.3
    5Pyroxene2.8 ± 0.6
  • James Brown
    James Brown

James - why are you quoting an 20 year article? Did you read the links I gave? Do so, the Lake Suigetsu study has provided 'a truly terrestrial record (which) gives us better resolution and confidence in radiocarbon dating. It also allows us to look at the differences between the atmosphere and oceans and study the implications for our understanding of the marine environment as part of the global carbon cycle.'

Radiocarbon dating has moved on. You need to as well.

Look at this. It pre-dates the Flood and Adam: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnenez#Dates

Thanks Cofty for the links. Appreciate those.

Why am I quoting a 20 year old article. Because that is where the truth is.

Dating of rocks was given a double blind test and failed by over 2million percent.

If I keep on looking for evidence to disprove that I would not be looking for the truth.

I would be an evolutionary atheist and looking for something to back up my delusion.

• James Brown
    James Brown

James - why are you quoting an 20 year article? Did you read the links I gave? Do so, the Lake Suigetsu study has provided 'a truly terrestrial record (which) gives us better resolution and confidence in radiocarbon dating. It also allows us to look at the differences between the atmosphere and oceans and study the implications for our understanding of the marine environment as part of the global carbon cycle.'

Radiocarbon dating has moved on. You need to as well.

Look at this. It pre-dates the Flood and Adam: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnenez#Dates

Thanks Cofty for the links. Appreciate those.

Wizzstick. I don't get it why are you showing me an article that shows radiocarbon dating something 4,500 years old?

Am I supposed to be impressed that they didn't date the site 4.5 billion years old. This gives proof to my saying that they use

the stones to date the stones which is circular reasoning.

• Fencing
    Fencing

This James Brown person makes my brain burn with the stupid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit