Brothers told to pack an "Armagedon survival bag."...bid gossip in Aust!

by Witness 007 54 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Yes but Witnesses ACT like its "something new"....she said this so I would RUN back to the Kingdom hall. I said to her as an old lady where would you go and she said the Brothers and Jehovah will look after her....I guess since I her son would be too busy as rotting worm food! ♥?

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

Judging by the armageddon depiction illustrations from Watchower's past, I'd say that said survival bag should include a titanium umbrella to shield against the fireballs raining down from the sky, and grappling hooks and rope to escape from the massive cracks in the earth.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

And the JWs can go running to the Mormons to buy their "Armageddon survival supplies".

• Wholly
    Wholly

The B.O.B. is a great idea for everyone. Preparing to survive nature's fickleness has been man's preoccupation since the beginning. It's only been the last century when civilization moved away from natural knowledge of his surroundings. The ideological awareness has slowly been given over to others to sound warnings at times of impending peril.

What bothers me most is that people seem to believe it's normal to trust someone else with their welfare. Whether it's the Weatherman or the Governing Body sounding the warning bell, people blindly trust them for accurate forecasts.

Since JW's have been awaiting the Great Tribulation for so long, obviously this warning will be taken as gospel of something not stated, but implied. Like sheep, they will flock closer together in tight little groups for safety, planning meeting places and items to store, etc. Excitedly murmuring about how CLOSE IT IS NOW!!!

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Prepping is a good idea of itself. Naturally, I can see the go bag giving someone some provision during a flood or other event, then the matter being flogged in literature and devivals about how following the "loving slave's spiritual provision" saved someone in a disaster.

Bleah.

• clarity
    clarity

Oh yeah...we were doing this in 1975 ....big time!

Funny ...I never could figure out where were supposed to run

with all our supplies ... there was a so called "Renezvous"

aka 'the book study'! LOL

Imagine everybody showin up & crowding into a tiny living room!

>

I just figured the government would come & throw us

all into camps, like the Hitler days. OMG what an outlook!

clarity

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

I'm not a Prepper or a Morman, but I do like the Morman's Provident Living program. I go to one of their centers to buy in bulk. They are really nice... you buy and package individual amounts you need right there. They have vacume sealers, jars, everything. I buy beans, dried soups, sugar, flour, honey, noodles, nuts and seeds. There is also a lot of stuff for serious preppers like dried or jarred meat.

• blondie
    blondie

So who told them it was for the GT...did they put 2 and 2 together and get 5?

An elder said

A CO/DO said

A Bethelite said

Was any of this in a talk from the platform; a publication; a BOE letter, anything official?

NOT!

With all the disasters recently fires, floods, tornados, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, hurricanes, tsunamis, cyclones, potential epidemics, financial disasters, etc., and the WTS lack of preparedness during Katrina, the WTS wants to be able to keep track of the flock....

*** w11 12/1 pp. 6-7 Coping With Natural Disasters

In view of the increase in both the frequency and the destructiveness of natural disasters, what can a person do to cope? Let us take a look at several practical steps that can be taken.

Keep out of the path of calamity.

“Shrewd is the one that has seen the calamity and proceeds to conceal himself, but the inexperienced have passed along and must suffer the penalty,” says the Bible. (Proverbs 22:3) This is wise counsel that can apply to disasters. If a warning is given about an impending volcanic eruption, probable flooding, or an approaching hurricane or typhoon, wisdom dictates that those in the affected area evacuate and get to safer ground. Life is more valuable than a house or other material things.

For some, it might be possible to choose not to live in an area of high risk. One authority says: “Disaster risk is geographically highly concentrated. A very small portion of the Earth’s surface contains most of the risk and most future large-scale disasters will occur in these areas.” This may be true, for example, in low-lying coastal regions or in areas near fault lines in the earth. If you can avoid living in such high-risk areas or can move to a safer location, you may greatly reduce your risk of suffering from disasters.

Have a plan of action.

In spite of all precautions taken, you may still find yourself a victim of an unexpected tragedy. Coping with it will be much easier if you have planned in advance. This is also in harmony with the advice at Proverbs 22:3, quoted earlier. Do you have an emergency kit prepared and ready to go? The publication 1-2-3 of Disaster Education recommends including the following items: First-aid supplies, bottled water, nonperishable food, and important documents. It would also be wise to review with your family the types of disasters that could take place and what could be done in each case.

Maintain a close relationship with God.

This can help in any circumstance. The Bible speaks of God as “the Father of tender mercies and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation.” Another verse describes him as the God “who comforts those laid low.”—2 Corinthians 1:3, 4; 7:6.

Yes, God is keenly aware of the circumstances coming upon those who put faith in him. He is a God of love and provides uplifting encouragement in various ways. (1 John 4:8) Prayers, not for miracles but for God’s powerful holy spirit, can provide help in any situation. The holy spirit can bring to mind Bible passages that can be comforting and soothing to those experiencing adversities. Truly, God’s faithful servants can feel as did David, a king of ancient Israel, who said: “Even though I walk in the valley of deep shadow, I fear nothing bad, for you are with me; your rod and your staff are the things that comfort me.”—Psalm 23:4.

Fellow Christians help one another.

In the first century, a Christian prophet named Agabus indicated that “a great famine was about to come upon the entire inhabited earth; which, for that matter, did take place in the time of Claudius.” The famine severely affected many of Jesus’ disciples in Judea. What did the disciples elsewhere do when they heard of their fellow Christians’ plight? The account states: “Those of the disciples determined, each of them according as anyone could afford it, to send a relief ministration to the brothers dwelling in Judea.” (Acts 11:28, 29) They lovingly responded by providing relief supplies.

When severe calamities occur today, God’s servants respond similarly. Jehovah’s Witnesses are well-known for helping fellow believers. For example, when a strong earthquake struck Chile on February 27, 2010, Jehovah’s Witnesses quickly responded to help those affected. Karla, whose home was swept away by a tsunami, related: “It was comforting and encouraging to see that the very next day [fellow Witnesses] arrived from other areas to help us. Without a doubt, Jehovah comforted us through the goodness of those volunteers. I felt loved and protected.” Her grandfather, who is not a Witness, observed the help being given. He said: “This is completely different from what I have seen for years in my church.” What he saw moved him to ask Jehovah’s Witnesses to study the Bible with him.

Being in association with those who love God can be a great aid during times of adversity. Even so, will there ever be a time when the earth will be rid of the curse of disasters? Let us see what the Bible has to say on this subject.

[Picture on page

6]

Do you have an emergency kit prepared and ready to go?

*** g 9/07 p. 7 Is God Responsible? ***

[Box/Picture on page 7]

ARE YOU EQUIPPED TO FLEE?

The New York City Office of Emergency Management recommends that households plan for evacuation by assembling a “go bag”—a durable, accessible, easy-to-transport bag containing important emergency items. The following may be included:

? Copies of important documents in a waterproof container

? An extra set of car and house keys

? Credit or debit cards and cash

? Bottled water and nonperishable food

? Flashlight(s), AM/FM radio, cell phone (if you have one), extra batteries

? Medication for at least one week, a list of dosages, prescription slips, and doctors’ names and phone numbers. (Be sure to replace medications before their expiration date)

? First-aid kit

? Sturdy, comfortable shoes and rainwear

? Contact and meeting place information for your household, as well as a regional map

? Child-care supplies

[Footnote]

Although based on the official list, the above includes minor changes. Not every item listed may be suitable in your case or in your part of the world, and some items may have to be added. For example, seniors and the disabled have their own special needs.

*** km 1/07 p. 4 Are You Prepared for a Natural Disaster? ***

1 Each year, millions of people around the world, including many of our brothers and sisters, are affected by earthquakes, tsunamis, monsoons, hurricanes, tornadoes, and floods. Since natural disasters occur unexpectedly and could affect any of us, it is the course of wisdom to be prepared.—Prov. 21:5.

2 In Advance: Sometimes the authorities are able to warn of impending disasters. It is important to pay attention to those warnings. (Prov. 22:3) In such situations the elders will try to contact all in the congregation to help them to make necessary preparations. After a disaster, the elders will also endeavor to contact all who are associated with the congregation to see if they are safe and to discern what assistance may be needed. Valuable time can be lost if the elders do not have up-to-date contact information. So it is good for publishers to keep the secretary and their book study overseer informed of their current address and telephone number(s).

3 If the congregation is located in a disaster-prone area, the elders may ask publishers to provide the name and telephone number of a relative or friend who does not live in the vicinity and who should be contacted in case of an emergency. This will enable the elders to locate those who have evacuated. The elders may also wish to develop a contingency plan for the congregation that includes such things as a simple checklist of emergency supplies to keep on hand, evacuation arrangements, and plans for assisting those with special needs. Cooperation with these loving arrangements is important.—Heb. 13:17.

*** km 5/07 p. 3 Announcements ***

Bodies of elders should review the July 6, 2006, letter regarding disaster preparedness and ensure that they have up-to-date contact information for each publisher. In disaster-prone areas, additional emergency contact information should be obtained.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

It strikes me as very strange that average JWs view this practical direction as something more than it is. And, yes, this is one thing I do think is practical. If anyone lives in an area prone to natural disasters (e.g. earthquakes, tornados, etc.) then this is good direction. I, for one, am glad they take this seriously. As Blondie said, though:

So who told them it was for the GT...did they put 2 and 2 together and get 5?
  • Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I like to watch end of the world shows and every time I think their is no way JW's would be the last to fall. They do not have the skills to survive in crisis. They have to keep that fear going.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit