So, Whats the real reason JWs are no concessions open at the DC and are discouraged from supporting nearby vendors?

by BU2B 62 Replies latest jw friends

• BU2B
    BU2B

So ever since they discontinues the food service at the Assemblies and DCs, JWs have been "lovingly encouraged" to pack a light lunch to eat. The secretary at the hall that I am held hostage in said during the service meeting that even a sub would be too heavy to eat, and that a light salad was the best option.

What do you fine people think is the real reason why, in the absence of food service, JWs are told to not leave the building at lunch? My hunch is it is a barometer to see how well the R and F JWs respond to orders. Are they "obedient in least". Every year some still go eat in downtown Rochester, NY where my DC is held. These are the topic of gossip and criticism from "loyal" dubs. How could they disobey the FDS clear directions? This is a big deal to them.

Do you think this is the real reason or something else?

• sd-7
    sd-7

There are only a few reasons the Watchtower gives orders: (1) control, (2) money, and (3) to avoid/minimize some form of legal liability.

Since there's no legal issue at stake, it's narrowed down to either control, or money. Arenas and stadiums are usually downtown, where events of some kind give those vendors money anyway. JWs buying lunch from takes money from the grocery stores that are farther out, near the hotels. A lot of money, when you put it all together. That's a stab in the dark. [edited] Also to be considered is that if JWs go to nearby vendors, the argument is, why not just keep the vendors that are INSIDE the arena and have them operate same as if it was a sporting event? If stadium staff sees JWs going to the vendors, that would become an issue--and I presume that could make renting the stadium more costly? It would also mean more non-JWs on site who aren't there for the convention. Knowing that all non-JWs are sadistic, child killing heroin addicts, that could be a concern, too. I don't know.

Control? Could be. Perhaps it makes it easier to monitor JWs (as a whole) when they don't venture away from the convention site. That way, no leaving early, wandering back to the hotel for a nap or immorality, and more room for 'wholesome association' (a way for the group pressures to take root even more firmly).

My money's on control, personally.

--sd-7

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

Afternoon session attendance would fall because many would not return from going out to lunch. Also less money spent on concessions = more money placed into contribution boxes. I worked in accounting at the district level for 10 years. This is my opinion based on that experience.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Also, if you go to an outside place to eat, you may not return in time to 'receive complete refreshment at Jehovah's banquet table'.

• blondie
    blondie

Didn't this policy start when food was still supplied at the assemblies/conventions?

When that ended (the food being supplied), what I noticed was that the lunch break was reduced to 1.5 hours limiting time for going out to eat (many went anyway and were late getting back). They didn't even want people going down the nearby McDonalds even it wasn't a concession in the convention location.

• sd-7
    sd-7
    Also less money spent on concessions = more money placed into contribution boxes.

Really? Fascinating. Money wins, then.

--sd-7

• jgnat
    jgnat

My hunch is that in the rent negotiations at the local stadium, the Witnesses specify that no concessions will be required. This means the private vendors are out of pocket during the conventions.

Yeah, I think they want the money going in to the bins, not on hot-dogs and chips.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

There were never any outside concession vendors in any of the stadiums or arenas that I attended when I was in (back in the late 60's thru the 70's to the early 80's). All food was supplied and sold by the organization. We weren't even allowed to use the vending machines that happened to be there (they were all papered and gated off).

I'm going with control and money.

• out4good3
    out4good3

I think the issues are as much about money as it is control.

I've heard it said that having concessions open during the duration of the event would contribute to a perception of the event as a festive and worldly occasion belying the seriousness of consumption from the spiritual banquet laid out by jehovah.......

....sure didn't taste good saying that......

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

As a kid, I remember the seat on the aisle being empty during much of the day at assemblies. My dad was helping with actual cooking, prepping food, serving food and coffee to the 'bigwigs' during the session & cleaning pots and pans the rest of the time. I remember volunteering to work at the sandwich assembly line tables - morning and afternoon. I'm sure the WT wanted to end that business because too many were missing out on the sessions.

I've always wondered if the change occured in the United States (it was common to bring your lunch in England and Japan in the 80's) because the loyalty of some brothers who were in the supply chain business for assemblies might have come into question - when Peter Gregerson disassociated himself. He was very active in the southeast US and had a chain of food stores and access to food wholesalers.

This is pure speculation on my part based on 'gossip' I heard years ago. Please correct me if I'm way off on this one!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit