So, Whats the real reason JWs are no concessions open at the DC and are discouraged from supporting nearby vendors?

by BU2B 62 Replies latest jw friends

• whathehadas
    whathehadas

I don't know either LostGeneration. Might have been a act to "discourage" from getting too many OJ's. Another thing.....the turkey sandwichs used to be hammered with mayo. I hated them for that reason

• GreenhornChristian
    GreenhornChristian

I asked once as a child and was told they didn't want "worldly" people mingling amongst the Brothers. So much for providing a witness to unbelievers.

I believe it has to do with $$

• Zordino
    Zordino

BU2B said " at the hall that I am held hostage "

Thats hilarious! I'm gona use that. soo funny.

• Zordino
    Zordino

Money 1st , and control.. but also it may have to do with not wanting the vendor's and/or their employee's hearing they're insane nonesense. To a "worldly" person, the blather from the stage would sound just a little bit too creepy.

• 3dogs1husband
    3dogs1husband

i know here the vendors - who pay big bucks to rent their stalls were getting mad that the dubs were carrying bought food - even starbucks and Mickyd coffee cups into the venue and rightly so. Why couldnt they be open and running if the JW's were just going to go and bring the take out food in? so they clamped down big time here - 0 all of the travlers who have no choice because we are staying at hotels had to "repackage" our bought food. That right we had to take subway wrapers off our sandwhiches and re wrap them in saran wrap -yup true and super dubber crazy

• Zordino
    Zordino

The vendors where we used to have the DC's put so much pressure on the facilities owners that they kicked out the JW's once and for all. They refused to rent the building to the dubs and now we all have to drive to some shitty ass town 2 hours away from a major city in a much smaller facility. Total Losers I tells ya!

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

wow, now they even tell you WHAT to eat? LOL!!!!!! I remember in 2006 which was my last one they made a huge deal about not buying anything from any of the stores around, after the session as well! (we were in philly in a major buisness district) and it was crazy because I needed advil and coffee, and felt like "who the hell are they to tell me i cant buy something i need when im on my own time!" I was happy to see people didnt listen and JW's were all over starbucks, etc.

The day is SOOOO friggin long, you need a solid lunch if you are going to survive, now they tell you not to eat that much? WTF!!!

I joked a while back that its now a matter of time before they control what you eat, and bang, here you go! amazing!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

In Long Beach, the area is surrounded by restaurants. Also there was a cafe on the bottom floor of the arena, along with a BBQ that served up burgers and such just outside the stadium, on stadium grounds. We were discouraged from any of those. MYself? I walked into the cafe with other JW's as they stood in line with guilty looks on their face. I didn't care. I even got dirty looks from other dubs and from an elder or two. Again, I cared little and if they wanted to DF me over a latte, they were certainly welcome to as well. During lunch I either left, or went to the BBQ.

My only guess is money. Dubs are strapped for cash, and many have to travel far and get a hotel room. So my guess is that any funds not used for outside vendors, would end up in the doantion box.

What a pathetic religion with pathetic members

• Gayle
    Gayle

Must have been a lawsuit! someone ate something there, got sick or died. Lawsuits change wt policies/arrangements.

Or, WT population is aging. Many old folks, and not old, are on restricted diets.

• SAHS
    SAHS

“Shador”:

“If the brothers keep going out to eat, the in-stadium concessions vendors will make a stink and want to be allowed to open. That would introduce a "worldly atmosphere"

That is it. I think, to put it simply: C O N T R O L !

They don’t want “worldly” TM people (future manure) defiling their little “spiritual paradise” TM . Just the JWs even seeing these “worldly” TM people would subconsciously remind them of how different their cult is made to be from everyone else, and thus the spell might be broken.

I don’t really think the money is as strong a point really because the WT can always do a good job at inducing guilt in that department (it’s one of the hallmarks of their methods of operation, isn’t it?).

In terms of being tempted to play hookey in the afternoon, once a few years ago at lunch I actually got drunk at a nearby bar, then bought a pack of cigarettes and smoked some, and then took a local bus for a little ride just for a little excursion. True story! I came back to the sessions a bit later and sat with my parents somewhat reeking of alcohol.

Another occasion – also true story – I went to a later convention alone (I was sick for the first one) and ended up getting so hammered that some attendants radioed the district overseer, who actually called my parents to come and bring me home. Not a proud moment for my family, for sure!

I’m proud to say that I’ve been successfully recovering in AA, which has put a permanent end to those particular shenanigans. (No more unpleasant surprises for my folks.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit