Valedictorian Rips Up Preapproved Speech, Recites Prayer Instead

by Sam Whiskey 469 Replies latest jw friends

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Marvin:

I think this is where Costner lost his Gandhi-like opportunity. Had he stood there and said:

Praise be to God, the cherisher and sustainer of the worlds; the compassionate, the most merciful; master of the day of judgment. Thee (alone) we worship; thee (alone) we ask for help. Show us the straight path, the path of those whom thou hast favored; not the (path) of those who earn thine anger nor of those who go astray. Amen.

Had Costner stood there and said that, my opinion is he would have brought the world of his audience to full-stop. Then, when they realized the power of what he’d just done with his speech they’d have risen in near worshipful ovation. He’d have propelled himself into a Gandhi-in-the-making. But, of course, he didn’t do this. Instead he quoted Jesus, said “Amen” and here we are today having this discussion.

---

Are you being serious right now, Marvin?

I honestly hope the above statement is a goof offered to get a laugh rather than being posted as something we are expected to take seriously.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“Your circular arguments …”

AndDontCallMeShirley,

You assert as you do because you’re confused over how I’ve used evidence within my argumentation.

Your confusion is thinking my statement that Costner had a political motive is somehow linked to my reference to John Eby’s remark reported by CNN. They are not.

I supplied the CNN reference to evidence your claim is false that Costner was only prohibited from prayer. According to John Eby, the school system prohibits pray and religious expression. If what John Eby said is true, then your premise is false.

On the other hand, whether Costner’s act during the graduation ceremony was an instance of political speech is not something I referenced the article for in my argumentation, and in that reference Costner didn’t say one way or another. But Costner’s father certainly saw the political speech element of what his son was considering. Otherwise he’d not have said to his son “if you're doing this for political reasons, don't.”

The question of whether Costner’s action during the graduation ceremony was political speech is something to be determined based on what led up to the act and the actual act itself.

A big part of what led up to the Costner’s act was political in nature. According to reports he felt there was an inappropriate intrusion into activities that should be decided locally, which ultimately was decided locally in a split decision. This was a political process, and he felt it was handled badly and the result was wrong. Then, after deceiving school authorities, during his speech Costner quoted a well-known religious figure and said “Amen”.

In this discussion I have shared an my opinion that Costner’s action during the ceremony was, ultimately, a political act. This is why I’ve termed Costner's act as civil disobedience. Civil disobedience is a peaceful form of an inherently political protest.

Along with sharing my opinion I’ve also shared extensively why I hold that opinion. And, to be clear, I’m not trying to convince anyone here to accept my opinion. What’s important to me is not having people agree with me but, rather, having the discussion. This is important to me because discussions are a big part of how I learn, and learning is dear.

“Are you being serious right now, Marvin?”

Yes.

I’ve been serious throughout this discussion. I’ve tried to use words precisely for that very reason, and where my expressions have caused confusion or led to questions I’ve been happy to answer or explain in each instance I can think of.

What do you find suspect in my thought you question?

Marvin Shilmer

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

You assert as you do because you’re confused over how I’ve used evidence within my argumentation.

Nope, I'm not the least bit confused.

This is a diversionary tactic you use quite often to marginalize valid observations that expose your claims for what they are.

• Simon
    Simon
    A big part of what led up to the Costner’s act was political in nature. According to reports he felt there was an inappropriate intrusion into activities that should be decided locally, which ultimately was decided locally in a split decision. This was a political process, and he felt it was handled badly and the result was wrong. Then, after deceiving school authorities, during his speech Costner quoted a well-known religious figure and said “Amen”.

What a load of rubbish. He was solely concerned with pushing HIS brand of Christianity on the school after the decision he didn't like was made.

He's only trying to make it into 'freedom of speech' after the fact. If he'd wanted it to be about freedom of speech he could have made it about that but he didn't.

If I objected to prayers not being allowed I would have recited prayers (note the plural). He only recited HIS religions prayer which is only what he is concerned with.

The facts are clear: they already gave notice that their intention was to "keep their schools Christian" ... nothing about freedom of speech for all in that !

Why you allow yourself to be fooled or possibly to keep fooling yourself Marvin, we'll never know.

What’s important to me is not having people agree with me but, rather, having the discussion. This is important to me because discussions are a big part of how I learn, and learning is dear.

Marvin, people may think you more intelligent if you stopped telling people how intelligent your are.

Everytime you come out with that I picture the Friends episode with Ross' character talking about his cartoon creation's "Superhuman thirst for knowledge".

It's just getting a little old.

• Simon
    Simon
    This is a diversionary tactic you use quite often to marginalize valid observations that expose your claims for what they are.

Yes: If you haven't agreed then you mustn't have understood. Pay closer attention next time !! LOL

• Satanus
    Satanus

Don't you guys KNOW who marvin thinks he is??

S

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Who?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Yeah, who?!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Marvin could be thinking that hes ghandi, or one of the great biblical scholars, or st augustine, einstein, buddha, or even napolean. The list of possible delusions of grandeur is practically endless;)

S

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Well he's had that me teacher you dimwitted student attitude for awhile now. That's not even close to being new.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit