They lied to you Jack......

by Tech49 78 Replies latest jw experiences

• designs
    designs

Bourbon makers should send Thank You cards to the Wt..

• Giordano
    Giordano

It took me about 2 to 3 years to get out totally. In those days mid 1960's we had no materials to review about the WTBTS, no cult literature.

My wife and I were pioneering where the need was great and it was a rural area. I held as many as three positions in the congregation all of which would be Elder's positions these days. Gave the public talk on our circuit two to three times a month. Worked on the circuit assemblies etc.

I always had doubts but tried to recommit. Mostly to keep my friends and a few family members close.

A lot of it had to do with ego........ I was a respected person as a hard working Witness....there was personal satisfaction......... perhaps too much.

We moved out of the area and then moved again so we were able to drift away from long term friends....but before that happened we could sense real indifference among friends who came to a realization that we were fading. It's funny how you can be rejected and in turn reject them......the friendships turned out not to have a serious impact on our lives.

A half century later we have many many great friends and continue to live the life WE choose for ourselves.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Jack, welcome and look foward to reading your comments. Great opening posts!!

• crmsicl
    crmsicl

I highly recommend this account of how an awakened elder helped his family leave the organization. He tells how he encouraged critical thinking with his children, who I think would coorespond to the ages of your children. He had a plan like you do. I think the way he went about it is an intelligent and unselfish way to help a family. It gives them the opportunity to make the choice their own and that instills a great deal of respect for you and gives the children and wife the opportunity to respect theirselves and their choices. When we were going through our quick and harrowing exit I had contacted him and he spent a lot of time on the phone with me. It was too late to impliment the strategy he used though.

http://freeminds.org/psych/exithelp.htm

• Tech49
    Tech49

Thank you for that Crmsicl. A very good read, for sure. Very similar to our current family situation, and a good example as to why we need to be Patient.

It took a long time to get where we are, it will take more time to get where we are going.

• Scott77
    Scott77

"...I shall be printing this thread as it will be encouraging for my JW family to know there arer others feeling like they do..."
    Heartofaboy

As a former Jehovah's witnesses, most of our experiences within the Watchtower cult organisation are different yet it amazes me to find out that some accounts are similar. Its safer to say that there are similar themes that we all experience such as overload, control, feeling quilty, oppression,doubts, confusion etc.

Tech49: I have a good advise for you. You and wife might start working on a book. You may contact Barbara Anderson or Randy Watters for advise just an idea. Your account would be very inspiring to all of us and those still within.

Scott77

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Welcome Jack Harper, Tech49, I like that you are writing about your experiences so that other visitors will feel comfortable in joining. I hope that you vent a lot on JWN to maintain your sanity as well as not adversely affect your family.

If you like doing research, have you read Raymond Franz's books (i.e., "Crisis of Conscience" and "Insearch of Christian Freedom"); or read Steve Hassan's books (i.e., "Combatting Cult Mind Control", "Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves", and (his latest book) "Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs"), visited his website www.freedomofmind.com, or watched his videos?

Best of wishes for you and your family doing a successful fade.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

P.S. - Based on your experiences, I hope that the WTBTS becomes more controlling in the future to help more JWs to see TTATT.

• flipper
    flipper

BTTT, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• laverite
    laverite

Jack,

I have nothing but respect for you Your points about why you are here and the path you are on are all excellent. Clearly, this is what is best for your family.

A question for you, if you don't mind (feel free to ignore, if you don't want to talk about this topic): Have you begun to quietly relax things a bit on the homefront as far as family celebrations go -- birthdays, Christmas, etc.? How is that going?

The many tedious, spoken and unspoken nonsensical rules of the WTBTS are so tiresome -- what can and can't be said, what can and can't be done, etc...All man-made, without any foundation in the Bible. Has your family been discussing any of this at all?

Again, please only answer if you feel comfortable, and feel free to ignore if not.

Thank you for your wonderful intro post and welcome!

Cheers,

LaVérité

• cult classic
    cult classic

Hey Jack.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit