Forum Policy: Off Topic Comments and Nonsense

by Simon 53 Replies latest forum announcements

• Simon
    Simon

Oubliette - my comments were not directed at you, sorry if it read that way. I replied to your question but meant it to be about the people responsible - sorry if that wasn't clear.

I'm refering to the people who want to basically commit an online version of vandalism, encourage others to join in and then get pissy when their crap is removed.

It is no longer going to be tollerated and I'm not going to be as patient about dealing with it because it is not accidental in any way. Those doing it know they are doing it and should expect their accounts to be restricted and possibly deleted if it continues.

I'm not 'having a bad day' or angry although I certainly don't appreciate when people generate extra work to clean things up.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Simon, understood. Yes I did "read it that way," but only because you quoted a statement of mine with your post.

Thank you for acknowledging my reaction.

I wouldn't want your job, but I'm awfully glad you do it!

This forum is--as you well know--a very important place for those of us leaving and attempting-to-leave JWs.

Your guidelines are clear and for the most part respected. Posters that can't or won't need to go.

Keep up the good work.

Oubliette

• rocketman
    rocketman

Nice to see you deleted my post, and then corrected your spelling of the word "tolerated", which you misspelled in your initial post, Simon.

Why delete my post? A little humor bother ya, bro?

• humbled
    humbled

Just to say "Thanks" for providing and maintaining a livingroom for us to talk to each other. I am glad you have limits to what is done and said to derail a topic.

Without someone to "bounce" we just would have to leave the space to anyone who can out-type, out-tech, out-crude us.

Thanks for allowng just a little bit of it too :-) We learn the limits sometimes from one another.

Maeve

• pixel
    pixel

Simon, how many moderators we have in the forum, if we can know?

• tec
    tec

I think the mod team and owners do an excellent job here. I think it is impossible to run a board, especially one this size, and not have people who feel they have been treated unfairly or censored at times. Impossible also not to make an occasional mistake also, especially on a board that has heated debates/discussions that are often totally opposed to one another.

But this board has been a lifesaver for a lot of people, and that is no small thing.

I don't think some people realize how much agonizing can go on into making a decision that might mean someone is warned, deleted, or their posts are deleted. Those decisions tend not to be made lightly, or without some (or a lot of) leeway given first.

Peace,

tammy

• Simon
    Simon
    Nice to see you deleted my post, and then corrected your spelling of the word "tolerated", which you misspelled in your initial post, Simon.
    Why delete my post? A little humor bother ya, bro?

Meh, I was just in a 'correct things' mood

• james_woods
    james_woods

Have a nice day, Simon.

• Simon
    Simon
    Simon, how many moderators we have in the forum, if we can know?

It's mostly Me, Angharad, JGnat and scully right now but I'm hoping to come up with a better, slicker approach that will make it easy for anyone to alert us to content that violates the guidelines so it can be quickly removed when necessary without being so reliant on us noticing things.

I don't think some people realize how much agonizing can go on into making a decision that might mean someone is warned, deleted, or their posts are deleted. Those decisions tend not to be made lightly, or without some (or a lot of) leeway given first.

Other than blatant spammers & trolls, there are always warnings and attempts to ask people to change their behavior before more severe action is taken which is usually a last resort. Some then try to portray themselves as innocent victims but the truth is they know what they are doing, and they do it deliberately. The only thing I appreciate when people do this is that I know I then made the right decision. It really is amazing the shenanegans that some people will get up to in their attempt to make out they have been unfairly treated ... pity they can't put the same effort into simply listening in the first place !

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

I guess that means the Whanker brothers video is a no-no guys.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit