Jws and urban myths!

by Julia Orwell 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

JWs sure love urban myths. The JWs have their own collection built up over many years, part of their own unique worldwide Jw culture. I've come across the same ones in America that I've heard in Australia, and they pass from legend to myth and finally reality as quoted from the platform. So I'd like you to add Jw unique urban myths you've heard. I bet a lot will be very similar, and a lot will be to do with demons.

I'll start sharing this interesting cultural phenomenon with this one: a man who's just this minute murdered his wife and kids has two sisters knock on his door. They have no idea what's happened and go on their way. When in court the murderer is asked why he didn't kill the Jw women, he says, "there were two huge men with them!" Turns out the angels appeared to the man to protect the sisters. This is the most common urban myth I've heard.

What other corkers have you heard?

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Ok, here's another one I've heard variations of: a brother and sister get engaged, but she doubts his spirituality and sets a test for him. One day when they're out witnessing, she drops her magazine bag in a bin and says, "I don't wanna do this anymore." And the brother is thrilled and says, "I'm so glad you've said that! I don't want to do all this stuff either!" And then she breaks up with him because she's found out he's not truly spiritual.

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

Ok, I'll start with the real common ones...

Garage sales. Second hand demonic items bought by accident. After this happens all kinds of strange things get misplaced, etc... until the offending item is removed and everybody masturbates in relief.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I've heard that one too except for the masturbation bit!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I first heard this one after Hurricane Andrew (Florida 1992) but have heard slightly varied versions of it after other disasters.

The JW'S have the most organized group of volunteers to repair their members' homes. The mayor of one of the hardest hit towns (I believe they said Florida City) approaches the JW's. He asks if they are having any problems he could help with. They mention a concern with permits. The mayor says he hasn't been able to get anyone to repair his roof. The JW'S put his home on a work order and are promised no more permit delays.

The story gets piled on with "Your people do a better job than paid contractors." "The mayor accepts a study." "YADDA YADDA."

• smiddy
    smiddy

If you study with us you can be baptised , live forever on earth and have a pet lion. Oh sorry thats not an urban myth is it .That one with the sister "testing" her fiancee I actually heard at a brisbane convention and at the time I thought what a bitch she would be while everybody else applauded .

Records that had backward masking was rife in the 60`s/70`s such as the Beatles/Rolling Stones and especially KISS .Play them backwards/reverse and you would hear Satanic messages and what not. JW`s seem to have a preoccupation with satan that mainstream religion does not have.

I put it down to their being a very superstitious religion

smiddy

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I heard one tale of a burglar who broke into a home, only to have the owner come home, he hid under the bed and so heard her read the bible. He escaped, taking her bible with him. Eventually he starts a study and gets baptized! I can't believe I was gullible enough to believe that one.

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

Angel behind rapist, yup.

Burglar repents, yup.

I think I'm going to be sick.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Quite a few JW urban myths are shared by the Mormons. The serial killer householder for example http://www.holyfetch.com/legends/3nephites_killer.html

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee
    I heard one tale of a burglar who broke into a home, only to have the owner come home, he hid under the bed and so heard her read the bible. He escaped, taking her bible with him. Eventually he starts a study and gets baptized! I can't believe I was gullible enough to believe that one.

And as if that wasn't enough, he hears her say her nightly prayers and steals the bible and sneaks out when she's asleep. He studies, gets baptized and recognizes the woman at a District Assembly and identifies himself to her and returns the stolen Bible. Instead of freaking out, the woman embraces him as she would a brother and the whole audience breaks into tearful applause.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit