Jws and urban myths!

by Julia Orwell 53 Replies latest jw friends

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee
    Along with the Sister Paine in the rear legend / joke, there was the legend / story about the "brother" saying a concluding prayer at a meeting and asking Jehoober to forgive our "falling shorts".

We DID have a Sister Payne, in our Confregation and every Pain/Payne remark possible, was made including the Payne in the rear joke. in fact, she "Payne-stakingly" made a point of not sitting in the back of the hall for that reason.

We've all heard the one where supposedly after the Sunday talk the Chairman said " Thank you for that fine talk Brother Jones...and now while the microphones are being set up, we'll have a five minute intercourse" (he mixed discourse and intermission together and came up with intercourse)

I've told the story of how my Mother used to be the Piano player at our Hall. For that reason we always had to be to the meeting on time. One time she was in such a rush to get dressed that she put her coat on right over her slip. She dashed up to the front of the Hall as soon as we walked in and it wasn't until she had her coat part way off that she realized she wasn't wearing a dress. We never let her live this one down.

• Nobleheart
    Nobleheart

This story was related by a "reputable" pioneer in my ex-congo who somehow had heard/knew of the people involved firsthand.

Two JW guys go out in service one day. At one of the doors apparently doing territory, a man comes out armed with a gun and shoots one of the JWs who dies.

The man is arrested and interrogated. Eventually he's put in prison. During the court hearings he relates that he commited the murder because he heard a voice commanding him to do exactly that. The murdered man's father was present during this confession and he being a JW is determined to explain to his son's murderer where the voices came from. He visits him in prison and tells him about the origin of the voices...demons :) A study is started with the man and eventually after serving the sentence he's released. (insanity plea??)

But there's more... This man becomes a regular pioneer but instead of serving 70 hrs (or 90?) he does double the amount of service. When asked why he said that he took the life of a pioneer and now is making up for his lost service...

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Good stories! So many I haven't heard. Thanks!

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

The week of 9/11 I fell out with JW's who insisted that JW's working in the towers didnt go in that day as they were all ill from catching the same illness.

whilst in bethel a little comic was going around taking the pee out of these stories, it said that a missionary was sent to Australia, to reach the farmers that live out in the bush. Whilst on a train, he was discussing the 'truth' with a train passenger and gave them a tract. The passenger took it but threw it out a window.... It landed in the pocket of a kangaroo's pouch. The kangaroo was killed by the local tribe of aborigines, who found the tract and all became special pioneers.

We had our little giggle. About 6 months later, a slightly altered version was being said in talks as a real story. The bethel sent out a letter about not repeating stories that are not first hand accounts or verified or verifiable.

Regarding the 'sister Paine' comment..... We had a sister 'Pratt'....... an elder known for his fluff brained comments and ideas, though super nice, pointed at her and said "yes sister...P..P.....P...Prick" he knew it was a dodgy name beginning with P and we all saw his brain ticking. We laughed obviously.

I heard the diamond thief/house burglar/rapist story many times, with him hiding under her bed, listening from her wardrobe whilst she, read from her bible/ had a bible study/ performed a family study.... Etc etc etc... I heard it first as a child in Twickenham District Assembly 1991.

Iheard the one about the sister who was at the bus stop/ answered her door to the serial killer/ rapist/ escaped prisoner....but he made an excuse and left. When he was later caught after killing her neighbours, he was asked why he had not killed the JW.... Because of the men stood behind her...

I was a child and my parents fed me this crap, it scared the crap out of me. It breaks all rules of nature, rape and murder is bad enough but now there are spirit creatures in the picture,, stood over your shoulder.... Yikes.

i think the world has changed a lot since then. Even films back then look silly and childish, these stories would sound ridiculous now. The world is growing up. Instead of this nonsense, the WT now claim to be the first in disaster zones. Or the nonsense claim that David Attenborough in his latest wildlife documentary said he could not deny life had to be designed by a creator (though he is an ardent atheist). That one annoyed me because I own the box set.

I was present at the start of another story that circulated a little. I helped refurbish an assembly hall in the UK. In one wall I was there when we found an old theatre program that was covered in pictures of devils etc. It was advertising a film or a play that had once been performed in the venue. Iwas actually there when it was found, it was incidental, it was insignificant and it was binned. A few weeks later people were saying demonic images were hidden in the wall and that is probably why Jehovah had the refurbishment done. I remember thinking "its JUST ink on paper, it means nothing." We also found old page 3 images in our KH roof repair, a smutty joke no doubt, that took place when a 'worldly' roofer came and fixed our roof in the 80's. Again, the damage to the roof was doubtless due to Jehovah wanting those images off his roof. This befuddled me, all those years, there were pictures of naked women in our Kingdom Hall roof, that god didnt do anything about, but apparantly he made the universe and was pretty strict on this kind of thing.

Not all of the world has grown up it seems...

snare x

PS. the biggest eye opener is meeting so many different religious people at university and hearing these EXACT stories from them too. I kid you not.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

ah yes Noble, a friend of a friend. That's how the satories always start.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I just remembered one now about some Satanist being interviewed on TV or radio and the interviewer asks him which is the true religion (like Satanists know the 'truth'!) and he said it was Jehovah's Witnesses and Satan's goal is to break up their families.

• earthfire
    earthfire

There was one about a man falling out a window and saved because he landed on a pile of NWT Bibles. (like they'd be laying around!)

Another was a sister went to study with a lady who was having a really hard time. The sister ends up using the bathroom and while she's peeing she sees a demon hunched over in the corner. So of course the sister ran out of the house and then sent some elders to fix the ladies problem. (Do elders do that kind of thing?)

The same one that's been mentioned about the serial killer and the angels behind the sisters.

A couple of smurf stories other than what has been listed. One was that a brother and sister were home with the babysitter while their parents went to dinner. The large stuffed smurf came to life and chased them around the house and bit the boys arm leaving sharp, bloody teeth marks. When the parents came home the smurf fell to the ground and the house was torn apart.

Another was a little girl had smurf wall paper and when her parents tucked her in and turned the lights off the girl heard talking. She turned the light back on and the smurfs were dancing and talking on the wallpaper.

As an adult the smurf stories reallypiss me off because when these were told to myself and a bunch of other kids, we were camping with a ton of other witnesses like we did every year. I remember looking over to an elder who I trusted while some of these stories were told and he never said word one about not making things up. So since all the adults were letting us be scared then they must be true stories right? I was like 8 at the time. It's just sick.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Sick and ignorant.

• HarryMac
    HarryMac
    Garage sales. Second hand demonic items bought by accident. After this happens all kinds of strange things get misplaced, etc... until the offending item is removed and everybody masturbates in relief.
    sooner7nc - Jesus F'in Christ! I spilled coffee everywhere! Bravo I say!

No probs! It's what I'm here for... 'Thanks everybody... I'm here all week!'

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

OH! How could I forget these more recent ones? The last Pope, Benedict the Whatever, his brother is a JW.

Also, Bono's window washer is a JW (Now that I can believe!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit