JCPenney removes a billboard after.....

by Iamallcool 63 Replies latest jw friends

• GodZoo
    GodZoo

Not the first time Hitler has been mistaken for a teapot..

• Slave4_38y
    Slave4_38y

Nice teapot GodZoo. It's made by the same company that makes the Charles Manson hot water bottle.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Obliette: Hitler in a Tea Kettle, Jesus in a Tortilla ... what is the world coming to?

The problem with comparing a piece of toast to an image that has been constructed, is that the billboard was deliberately made and the toast wasn't.

This comparison ignores the basic fact that the Hitler teapot had a maker - the artist was in charge, not a toaster (and the comparison is rather insulting to graphic artists).

The billboard should have been removed. Placing an image that many people (obviously not everybody here...) associated with Adolph Hitler near a Jewish cemetery is socially irresponsible. I don't buy for a single second that the image resembling Hilter was accidental. Nope - don't buy it. The artist's rendition of the teapot was purposeful and the placement may have just been ignorance, but, regardless, it was in bad taste.

Saying any different is saying that advertising agencies and the artists that produce their images, are brain dead. They aren't. They are trained professionals who don't just stick a billboard in a toaster or slap it on a stove top and hope for good results.

Advertising professionals know what they are doing. It is what they are paid for and they do it very well.

• jws
    jws

The first thing I saw was Charlie Chaplin. Then I saw the pouring stem and it sort of looked like a Nazi salute. I can see where people can see the resemblance. Especially side by side like above.

I would normally say look at the designer. Some people are racist and get their things past reviewers.

Many would say the JWs hide hidden images. Maybe it's an artist having fun who got his work past reviewers.

And let's also look at Cartoon work. Disney's the Rescuers has a topless woman. So does a Nick Jr. cartoon. Somebody had to deliberately put that in. In the Nick Jr. cartoon, somebody had to specifically draw that painting on the wall as a topless woman. it wasn't like looking at clouds and imagining you see something.

And there's also the more questionable ones. Does the preacher marrying the little mermaid have an erection? Does one of the underwater poles in an older cover of the video contain a penis. Same with some Watchtower portraits. Is it like looking at clouds?

This requires more research.

I know for a fact that JCPenney does some of their own portraits in-house. Others they may contract out for and some might be provided by manufacturers. Which complicates getting to the bottom of this. In any event, I doubt they knew. if it was intentional, who knew what and when is the important thing.

Futhermore, the artists who put together the ad and the ones that contract will billboard companies are separate departments. I doubt placing it near a Jewish cemetery was intentional. Most of this stuff is national. Nobody at the corporate level knows what and where each billboard is and what's near it.

Although it's possible somebody at the local level (probably not even JCPenney) realized the resemblance and decided to play a joke. Or be racist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit