JCPenney removes a billboard after.....

by Iamallcool 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

JCPenney removes a billboard after complaints that the tea kettle featured resembled Adolf Hitler. What do you think? Does it look like Hitler to you? Does it offend you? Do you care?

• titch
    titch

Hmmmm, interesting. I suppose, that at just the right angle, it could resemble Hitler, but turn it around so that you're looking at it from a different angle, it probably doesn't resemble ANYONE, or anything. How long ago did this happen? It looks like a very old photo of a tea kettle. But, no, I don't care. Bye!

Titch.

• minimus
    minimus

UNBELIEVABLE!

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

The billboard was overlooking a Jewish cemetary. The tea kettle is a Michael Graves design. The image on the billboard strikes an uncanny resemblance to Hitler. Yes, I think it was a good idea to remove it

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Rip...... Its a kettle, not an antisemetic conspiracy.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Duh, I know. I don' t think it is " a conspiracy". I was pointing out the sensitivity in relation to its proximity to a Jewish cemetary. Are you aware Snare that It might be offensive even if by accident?

I happen to like Michael Graves designs, but when I saw the pic of the billboard-- before seeing or knowing that the image was being compared-- I also saw Hitler. It's just a weird fluke, but, non- the- less people see Hitler.

• Jomavrick
    Jomavrick

I once saw a picture of Adolph Hitler and it looked like a tea kettle,,,,,

• rip van winkle
  • RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

IMO it is an example of the brain's amazing ability to find patterns in among chaos...even when nothing is there, the mind will try and find something.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

RIP...... Offended by a kettle??????? ......because if you squint a but harder RIP, you will see it looks a bit like.... A KETTLE......

People do not have a right to not be offended!!

That is not in the constitution its not a law, its not even in the bible! It's a common misunderstanding to think someone can't be offended. If someone is offended , that is their issue. Some people are offended if women are not covered head to toe, some people are offended by rap music, some people are offended by the bible, some people are offended by Americans, some people are offended by KETTLES! We don't act on offence because its so subjective.

We do act against threats, promotion of hatred, inappropriate social behaviour and breaking of the law.

I am not face palming myself in disappointment (much) because the kettle offends you, but (mostly) because you thought it should be taken down.

"That kettle!!?!.........It looks somewhat like a european dictator from 80 years ago if i squint... ....well, that makes me angry! That kettle offends me! They should take it down because it offends me! I don't like it!"

okie dokie..... Do we knock this house down too?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8414149/House-that-looks-like-Hitler-catches-eye-of-Twitter-users.html

Evolution is to blame as usual, our brain has evolved to see faces in all objects as an efficient mechanism of saving time and energy, that saved the life of your ancestors (otherwise your brain wouldn't see the face, but it does because you have the genes for it, from your ancestors, because that gene was beneficial to them in their environment, as in it saved their life, so they could procreate and pass on their genes which reached you thousands of years later and hitlers kettle. Don't be offended, be amazed by science ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit