Kinky details to JW boys death

by Kep 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Kep
    Kep

This boys disappearance was big news in NZ.
    Searches were done a number of times in the area.
    Finally his body was found.
    This article has just appeared with some rather unusual details surrounding his disappearance.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1159345a11,FF.html

You might have to key in the full address to open the article, but I've pasted it as well.

Teen went missing after prank
    07 April 2002

By BARRY CLARKE
    Police have seized photographs and re-interviewed Jehovah's Witnesses who attended a camp where a teenager disappeared late last year.

Youths were allegedly photographed urinating in the hours leading up to the disappearance of 14-year-old Christchurch boy Elon Oved from the camp at Lake Daniells, near Lewis Pass in the Southern Alps.

One boy was also photographed with women's underwear in what has been claimed to be a practical joke.

Police are also investigating claims that an adult on the trip passed wind into the face of Oved - the youngest boy on the trip - just before he left a cabin to change his clothes.

Police only became aware of the behaviour in February soon after Oved's remains were found - nearly three months after he went missing.

Senior sergeant John Torrance said the five adults and five other young men, including Oved's brother, Ray, 17, on the trip did not mention the incidents when the alarm was raised on December 2 that Elon was missing.

Ray Oved said yesterday he was in shock and worried about finding his brother and had forgotten to tell the police or his father, Rami Oved.

Rami Oved believes the activities would have frightened Elon, who was a shy boy, particularly regarding his own body and sexual matters. He would have been fearful of being photographed urinating.

A Jehovah's Witness elder on the trip, Trevor Mehrtens, said no one had disclosed the detail to the police initially because they did not think it important and had no bearing on Elon's disappearance.

Taking the underwear on the trip was simply a practical joke played on the trip leader, Dennis O'Brien, also a Jehovah's elder.

"Dennis is the one good keen man type. He loves the outdoors and travels light, just takes porridge, that sort of thing," said Mehrtens.

"Someone put women's underwear in his pack without him knowing, just to see what his reaction would be."

Mehrtens said Elon was in on the joke and he "thought it was hugely funny".

Photographs were taken with a laughing O'Brien holding a woman's bra and panties. Mehrtens' son, Phillip, 15, was later photographed wearing the bra. That photo has now been emailed to several people which has angered Trevor Mehrtens.

He confirmed some on the trip had been photographed while urinating but there was nothing sinister in it.

Torrance said there was no evidence of any criminal wrongdoing and details of the behaviour would be included in the police file being forwarded for a coroner's inquest into Elon's death.

But Jehovah's Witness headquarters spokesman minister Monty Gower said yesterday the issue of the underwear and pranks was still under investigation by the church.

The conduct of church members was not appropriate, he said. Gower said there could be ramifications but stressed the trip was not a church-organised one.

Rami Oved said he was appalled at the pranks on the trip. "I'm very, very upset because I trusted these people too much. It is hypocrisy. They teach high standards from the platform but they've dropped to a very low standard," he said.

Rami Oved said the elders on the trip knew Elon was shy.

"They should have known what effect this sort of activity would have had on Elon. I'm convinced Elon's decision to go further into the bush was made because of his fear he might be photographed."

Said Ray Oved: "We saw the guy with the bra. I wasn't comfortable with it and Elon would have been far worse. He didn't say anything but that's Elon. He wouldn't have said anything anyway."

But he said he knew something was wrong when Elon left the cabin and said he was going to get changed. "It was the way he said it, the way he was acting."

Elon walked towards an outside toilet block with a set of dry clothes and when he did not return after several minutes, Ray and another youth went looking for him.

There was no sign of him.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Maybe Elon was about to tell...

• shalom
    shalom

Hi Kep
    This is too strange. I live in Christchurch and recognise the names of some of the people mentioned in this article although I can't quite picture their faces.
    That poor kid...and poor family.
    shalom
    p.s where do you live?

• Kep
    Kep

Hi shalom,
    Yeah I recognise Monty, he was our co years and years ago, with his russian hat he used to wear.
    In fact, I thought it was cool and got me one. Talk about look like a real dick!!
    I'm from Rotorua or smelly valley as some say.
    Did you see the item on the news tonight?? It had the boys father talking as well as a WT rep.
    Kep

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Whoa...Kep...what was the cause of death? What a sad story. I remember reading a WT experience about a man who became a JW after refusing military service in Israel...he immigrated to NZ...somewhere in the South Island...Rami Oved sounds familiar.

That's beside the point and I'm probably quite wrong anyways. I remember Monty also...and its no wonder they didn't mention the photographs....THEY ARE GONNA GET IT BIG TIME!!!

But Jehovah's Witness headquarters spokesman minister Monty Gower said yesterday the issue of the underwear and pranks was still under investigation by the church.
    Poor blighters!!

Beck

ps...shalom...hi there...do you know Steve and Marie Wallace?? They used to live in Auckland...moved to ChChurch a couple of years ago??

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

poor fools.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Something I have noticed with most JWs is that they need to be told what they should and should not do. They are like little children who little by little let things go too far.

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• Xander
    Xander

would have frightened Elon, who was a shy boy, particularly regarding his own body and sexual matters

This was mentioned repeatedly.

Gee....wonder why that could possibly be.....

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• Shimmer
    Shimmer

None of this sounds "kinky" to me. It just sounds like "guys being guys". One minute everyone's saying how "overly strict" the witnesses are and then when they do act like a bunch of normal guys, everyone's saying they're being kinky.

My husband used to work on a logging crew and guys do stuff to each other like this all the time. Their sense of humour is a lot like 5th grade boys, anything to do with body parts or body functions makes them laugh their ass off. Especially if no females are around to make them feel stupid for acting that way.

Just my 2 cents.

Shimmer

Maybe being oneself is alway an acquired taste.-----PATRICIA HAMPL

• anewperson
    anewperson

Loggers may "do it" but don't take pictures of each other doing it! If they did they'd be sickos too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit