Atheism IS a religion! My profound apologies to Xians.

by return of parakeet 53 Replies latest social humour

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Atheism is not a religion. Do some, and I mean only some, athiests go at their atheism like some, and I do mean some, believers go at their belief, in a religious fashion? Yes.

What I mean is the constant need to talk about either non belief or belief. The constant need to persuade others in an evangelistic kind of effort. The passionate obsession with being right and to make sure everyone knows it. The intolerance of differing views. Most atheists I have known in my life do not treat their unbelief like a religion. Do some atheists I know treat their unbelief as if it is a religion? Yes. Do most people I know who are part of a religion feel they have to be right and they have to evangelize? No. But unfortunately enough religious people do.

Money can be a god. Material possessions can be a god. An activity like sex or gaming or gambling can be a god. And yes, ironically, atheism can become like a god.

• talesin
    talesin

cantleave - LMAO! Love it!

FHN - well said!

t

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

To me Athiesm Isn't a religion, but the absence of it. But, just as some people are obnoxious about their religion, some Athiest are are obnoxious about their Athiesm. That does not make atheism a religion, it just means some people think there is only one way to be in the world and are intolerant of other people's beliefs. With some people, it's politics. That kind of conviction is a sort of hubris, something the dubs excelled at, thats why I never made a good Dub, because I had a hard time condemning others for believing something different than I did. Now that I have left that belief system, I see no reason to condemn others for what they believe at all, as long as they don't try to force it down my throat.

• glenster
    glenster

Some believers claim to prove is (but it's just their belief) and they compare
    it to atheists who claim to prove isn't (but it's just their belief). Some
    believers claim God is proven by all around us (which is a leading statement
    because intelligent design doesn't prove God) and some nonbelievers compare God
    to unicorns and the FSM (which is a leading statement because those are things
    known not to exist). They have more in common than they seem to realize.

Penguins are as intelligent as human beings
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZmx0jml1jk

Some claim the belly proves God and the God of some is their belly.

So on to more important differences: food.

Christians: very popular with holidays rich with nummy food.
    Jews: tasteless meat and crackers but also known for delicious pickles and
    mothers who recommmend bowls of chicken soup.
    Muslims: when Islamophobia is pressed on message boards, liberal Muslims
    should bring up delicious Muslim food. When there's anger about a Muslim
    building in the Twin Towers area, they should suggest a food court.
    Atheists: action speaks louder than words--put the spaghetti on the plate. I'd
    go to two or three meetings.
    JWs: unpopular. No holiday foods and moderate in their comsumption. Boring.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit