If man evolved?

by tornapart 427 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I figured out about ten pages ago that Lost will never be convinced of anything because he entered the discussion with his mind completely made up, he doesn't understand it, and doesn't want to. I don't get what his agenda is, but it doesn't matter really. I have learned a lot, and I am sure many others have as well.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

The antagonist serves a purpose. I always enjoy the information brought to the discussion.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I agree dear Mrs Jones, a JW Apologist, or simply an ignoramus, often exposes the paucity of their position, but sometimes accidently asks questions, which when answered by the good people on JWN, add to my knowledge and understanding.

Long may such people invade this site, they do nothing that supports the WT/JW crap, rather they expose how piss-poor it is.

• Comatose
    Comatose

I actually enjoy the debate, especially if the person is searching and actually cares. I do get tired of certain attitudes. I'll describe the attitude that annoys me.

First, it's important to add this disclaimer. It's okay to disagree. We don't all have to see eye to eye. I respect your right to have your own opinion. But, I get very annoyed when someone hasn't researched a topic and then vigorously states their opinion, even arguing about it. I think we all have the obvious right to have an opinion. A d even to give whenever you want. But, not to argue from an uninformed position. Arguing should be reserved for after you have looked I to both sides of an issue And still feel you are right. It's annoying to have someone make false statements and argue from a wrong starting premise, and defend themselves ardently. It's okay to do that, when and if you have all the facts. You can't watch a whack job on YouTube or parrot other one sided and uneducated catch phrases if you have not done true research.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Said it before, great discussion. I learned a lot as well.

What I learned years ago, it boils down to faith. If you have faith in something, there is nothing that can be said that will disrupt faith. If a person decides themselves to question what they have faith in, that is the crack in the door that may open to let in discussion/consideration of other opinions and facts.

It reminds me of a discussion on here years ago regarding the flood. The participants were respectful and firm in their own arguments. Every step along the pages, you could see the person of faith rattle hanging on to Bible verse, and eventually, it was "I believe it." End of discusstion.

Well done all.

Edited to add: The mere fact persons of faith are here on this board is a step towards freedom of thought, of course. And I must say, I really enjoy the atmosphere on this board lately.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'm pretty sure *Lost* is a girl. At least she has a boyfriend. *Lost* has grown on me, even if she stops thinking too soon. She's recently out, after all, and stretching her cognitive legs.

Remember what it was like to freely share your opinion, without repercussion? It's a great feeling, isn't it?

• Comatose
    Comatose

It is. I want to reemphasize that everyone gets an opinion and can express it. It's just sometimes the arguing from a position where only one side is known that could be annoying. I was a born in and very faithful. No one believed creation more than me, till I took the time to investigate the other side.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Ditto Comatose.

• Heaven
    Heaven

This past weekend I had an hour and a half long discussion with a couple of Christian women.

It was obvious that certain subjects were not acceptable to them, one being Evolution. I think a lot of Christians feel that Evolution is an attack on their beliefs. It is probably based somewhat if not completely on what their families and religious leaders have told them, including the accepted interpretation of the Bible. I know for myself, my own experience was that my Mom emphatically denied Darwin and Evolution for years. Then one day, when I was around 15 or 16, she told me that she thinks there might be something to Evolution.

Religion has had to evolve itself to stay alive. In 1992 the Catholic Church finally exonerated Galileo. I cannot fathom what took them so long.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

What sends me into butt clenching apoplectic, incandescent , grunty, panty bunching levels of mild English eyebrow raising is that doubting the evidence from a position of uneducated buffoonery is fine, but then leaping like a gadly on crack to the conclusion that 'I can't understand it therefore God' is absolutely , most definitely not. If Star Trek has taught us anything, and it hasn't, it's that intelligent aliens should rank several bazillion times more likely as the cause of anything unexplained than an invisible megadude with a penchant for torture and finding rich westerners' keys.

Lack of comprehension , however indignantly preserved, is not evidence for a god conclusion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit