If man evolved?

by tornapart 427 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• never a jw
    never a jw

Impressive and educational. Kudos to you Cofty.

Regarding population growth, it's quite interesting to see that from the days of Jesus Christ to the 19th century there is very small growth. But it is in the 20th century when we have an unprecedented growth rate. I believed, it tripled in just a century (from the 1900's to the 2,000's). The reason is quite simple, we have learned to reduce significantly mortality due to disease and famine. This is precisely what makes the huge difference between the 20th century and any other time before.

Quite interesting how an elder last year in the Special Talk tried to convince the audience that the 20th century was the worst ever. Why? Because famine, wars, disease and earthquake had gotten worse!!!!! Unbelievable, completely the oppossite is true and a population graph can prove it beyond doubt.

Read the article. It confirms what I had learned before and wrote above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_growth

• talesin
    talesin

Really enjoyed reading that explanation, Cofty. Well done!

• Dagney
    Dagney

Great explanation cofty!

I also wanted to say I have enjoyed following this thread,

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Very impressive, I learned a lot

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Good job Cofty

• Comatose
    Comatose

Cofty you are my hero. Bravo. Hah!

• rawe
    rawe

Hi TD,

"He shows a picture of a dog, a coyote, a wolf and a banana." For any given example of a wolf we can reasonably assert it come from a parent form. Likewise for the banana. But if we followed the ancestory of a given wolf and a given banana back in time, assuming we had perfect record, would they ever converge on a single ancestor? The theory of evolution asserts that they would! The reality of this is breathtaking. Although it may seem unlikely from outward appearance we now are able to directly compare the DNA C, G, A and Ts for a banana and a human and see exact sequences match in many places. It is a bit like looking at our hair and fingernails and being told they are the same material and finding that hard to believe -- yet it is in fact true.

After leaving the faith and study more about evolution I have found the reality incredible. It explains so much of the world around us, from why one can eat a banana and get nourishment to how genetically modified plants have been created. The dramatic outside appearance of life really does disappear as one looks at the DNA level.

Cheers,

-Randy

• Satanus
    Satanus

I just got back. I think you have it well covered, cofty. I didn't find any circularity, iether.

S

• TD
    TD
    But if we followed the ancestory of a given wolf and a given banana back in time, assuming we had perfect record, would they ever converge on a single ancestor? The theory of evolution asserts that they would!

Randy,

I agree completely, but since the point of convergence between plants and animals is almost certainly unicellular, Hovind's chart was little more than a thinly disguised argument from incredulity. And this surfaced over and over again in the video. He characterized evolution as essentially the assertion that Man came from a "rock" and therefore something that any rational being would reject out of hand. Yet as an a true blue, dyed in the wool biblical inerrantist, he would have to accept that Man came from the "dust of the ground", which is not that far removed from a rock when you think about it.

Since he's currently in prison and presumably has a lot of time on his hands, maybe he'd be willing to correspond on this. Who knows?

• James Brown
    James Brown

By examining living trees and fossils it is possible to extend tree-ring dating back with certainty for 11,500 years.

You are not explaining how tree rings date back to 11,500 years. So I have to assume you dont understand it and

are just copy and pasting it and everything else.

So lets start here how in your own words not cut and paste do tree rings date back to 11,500 years.

I doubt they go back that far. If the tree is dead you cant use it to go back 11,500 years and if you are

using fossils in the area to date the tree rings that is circular reasoning. Circular reasoning will give

you what ever answer you want and is not scientific

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit