If man evolved?

by tornapart 427 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• James Brown
    James Brown

Dendochronology is not based on circular reasoning. It's linear. Prove me wrong.

How do tree wrings suggest an old earth?

• Comatose
    Comatose

Man and dinosaurs coexisted before the flood and the Grand Canyon is new... I remember Coyne mentioning in his book how there are people that cannot be reached by any fact or by any logical thought process.

I noticed that even after I offered the name of the book to Lost, the comment was that it better not be too deep on science. How do people argue against something they don't understand? It makes no sense. Everyone deserves an opinion. But show some self respect and foresight. Don't argue about things you haven't actually studied. Go read a few good books on the topic, then argue logically why you deny the evidence presented. Don't just repeat things that are inaccurate that you hear other people say.

• James Brown
    James Brown

Cofty just as I had to surmise to you in terms that are understood the Hovind video.

Please explain to me how dating works in terms that are understood.

• jgnat
  • James Brown
    James Brown

Jnat please show me how tree rings show an ancient earth your picture doesnt show an earth millions of

years old let alone 10,000 years old.

And cofty after you explain how dating works please explain all of kent hovinds errors.

I'll be waiting here with baited breath.

• TD
    TD

Well I watched the video. Very little of it had anything to do with what we've talked about on this thread. He devotes a fair amount of time to cosmology and the origin of life, which strictly speaking, are different disciplines entirely, especially in the case of the former.

At about 37:00 he gets into the question of common ancestry, which is a cornerstone of organic evolutionary theory.

At 38:16, he allows that the dog, wolf and coyote "probably" had a common ancestor. Since all three of these species are capable of interbreeding, he hardly has a choice here, because to deny that they had a common ancestor would be to admit as a logical corollary that different "kinds" can interbreed. So I can only speculate on the need for the cautionary wording.

At 38:30, he asserts that the principle is so simple that a 5 year old can understand it. He shows a picture of a dog, a coyote, a wolf and a banana. He gets a ripple of laughter from the audience because he's a good speaker and pulls off the deadpan humor pretty well.

But this is a strawman. Evolutionary theory does not hold that dogs give birth to bananas. It does hold that breeding groups in isolation from each other drift apart genetically. If, instead of a banana, we substituted a maned wolf or a black backed jackal or a red fox, the question gets much more complicated, because despite the fact that these three animals are very obviously members of the dog family too, they cannot interbreed with the dog, coyote or wolf.

It would actually be interesting to see how he would handle this observation. I suspect that the word, "probably" would be pulled back as an escape hatch to avoid the fact that by a strict inerrantist standpoint, complete reproductive isolation would constitute a different "kind."

At 41:20, he acknowledges common ancestry for the zebra and the horse as well, again with the caveat, "probably." We have the same basic problem here too. While horses and zebras share much of the same genetic information, it is arranged differently between them. (i.e. Different karyotypes) While the horse has 64 chromosomes, zebras have 32 or 46 depending upon the species. If they did have a common ancestor, then it can't be denied that they have diverged from each other to the point where genetic incompatiblilty isolates them. (i.e. Sterilty of offspring)

• jgnat
    jgnat

Dendochronology can get to about 7,000 to 9,000 years old. It's logical and linear. Prove to me that this is circular reasoning.

• jgnat
  • cofty
    cofty
    please explain all of kent hovinds errors

Don't be so lazy.

I invited you to post the argument that impresses you the most and I'm still waiting.

If you want to know why Hovind is wrong about dating read the article I linked for you.

• James Brown
    James Brown

Jgnat I'm talking about a young earth, your tree rings are supporting my belief thank you.

As far as Ice cores please explain in your own words so we can understand what you believe about them

just as I had to give a synopsis of Kent Hovinds video.

Nobody has time here to watch or read anything else.

Just in your own words please. I look forward to hearing about how ice rings can get to 740,000 years without

circular reasoning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit