Ripping a person’s faith away, a heavy responsibility?

by Seraphim23 207 Replies latest jw friends

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

What is the point that is trying to made with this thread again?

• sizemik
    sizemik

You can't "rip a persons faith away" by discussing belief, any more than you can reinforce it ... because both rely on the choices of the individual. Everybody believes something and many are in a constant state of change. Differing viewpoints are simply part of the intellectual environment.

Unless you equate advising someone to avoid a certain food, with starving them to death ... there is no such thing.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

mrsjones: " Like what happened to me a few pages ago? That was an ad hominem attack and if anyone noticed I did not respond in kind. "

You, mrsjones, are a great example of how people should behave on this site. Insightful, helpful, and often hilarious comments without feeling the need to antagonize others needlessly.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Mrs. J, I reread that series of posts several time, I don't know happened either. I just figured it was a joke that I didn't get, I am kind of dense sometimes. I agree you are not one to attack others. Perhaps Lost can explain?

• *lost*
    *lost*

Lisa - sure, was you on here at the time it happened?

see page 6

I'd had an exchange with can't leave and I made a remarck to xan using the word possible.

next thing mrs jones wades in, from nowhere, at the end, after 6 pages.

she copied and posted part of my posts, the bit where i remarked to Xan, possibly .... (which happens a lot on here, cherry picking is that the term ?)

accuses me of judging a whole host of folks ( which I feel to be an exaggeration, I did not judge anyone)

pot/kettle

nice addition to the name calling ?

glass house.

I felt it was an uncalled for attack from her, to wade in at the end, after 6 pages, when she ws nowhere to be seen before that, but she was reading everything.

yet she only arrived when she didn't like my response to a response of cantleave ?

so yes I was upset at the time, stressed out, but hey, as you will see if you read all of the post, the attitude of some is, pople shouldn't get upset, they just

should take it(ridicule, whatever ). It is a runing theme these days. People feel they cannot discuss certain topics, subjects as of the constant ridicule from the usual felons.

i got the impression she was jumping in and taking sides, in a discussion she hadn't even contributed to at all. Totally unecessary, why do it ? if it was because she took issue with what I said in exchenge with can't leave, where was she before, when we were defending the point that people should be able to post here on certain topics without being the subject of ridicule, which a number have a habit of doing all the time.

then she pops up on another thread, and totally off topic chirps in.

there is constant hubris on this site from certain members.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm not a victim and neither are you. I only stated what happen and what I saw. I wasn't taking a side really. I was pointing out that you LOST were and are doing the same that you accuse others of doing. Apparently you can't see that. You can't ask for folks to be nice to you when you aren't doing the same. It doesn't work that way here. You will receive like for like.

Actually I'm in a terribly good mood today. Mother's Day has been awesome. I've been on this board a long time. I've seen insults thrown from all sides. And yes I've been a part of it. But I've mellowed and the insults thrown my way all seem to fall by the wayside because I really don't care. I know who I am.

• still thinking
    still thinking

The question is, do you want to help them out of the the Watchtower, or if they are already out of the Watchtower, help them move on mentally? If the answer is no, you want to heap ridicule on them because they still have some kind of faith in God, then by all means heap on the ridicule. You may not be ripping away their faith as stated in the OP, but you may cause them to retreat back to Watchtower, or back to not knowing what to believe.

While this is all nice feel good stuff. It says a LOT about your view of other peoples responsibiltiy in an individuals decision making.

Where does the individual take responsibiltiy in your 'protective' environment? Are we responsible for sending people back to the watchtower? REALLY? If they want a protective environment where people all act the same...they SHOULD stay where they are. They will not cope with the real world.

Taking responsibility for our own choices seems to be a foreign concept to many people here. They want to blame others for what they do or don't do. This is a REAL problem. And if this is what you are teaching people leaving the clutches of the WTS I would argue that it is YOU that is doing them no favours what so ever.

I'm not here to tell people what to think, or how to think or to do as I say, or lead them out of the watchtower. I am just discussing. If you don't like it, thats no problem. But don't try to tell me I am responsible for someone going back to the WTS...that is their choice. And quite frankly a choice supported by people who say everyone should be sickly nice to everyone else. I think that maybe people enjoyed that fake nicey nice they experienced in the kingdom halls...and they want to bring it with them into the real world. Well, I'm afraid they are in for a rude awakening.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" I think that maybe people enjoyed that fake nicey nice they experienced in the kingdom halls...and they want to bring it with them into the real world."

That crossed my mind also.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I felt it was an uncalled for attack from her

This is very much the victim mentality I am referring to...there was no 'attack' there was just disagreement.

Why do people have to overstate the facts and exaggerate to try and get sympathy? No one is persecuting or attacking anyone. It is a discussion forum. she was voicing her opinion...just as you and everybody else are.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Evolution has been subjected to decades of ridicule by religionists ... less so as the evidence mounts, admittedly.

Anybody who rejects a belief does so because they see the flaws ... some of which ARE ridiculous to those that reject them.

From such a standpoint it can be very difficult to treat some beliefs as worthy of serious debate. EG; The plausibility of a talking snake, or the "How did Kangaroos get to Australia?" question. To the holder of such a belief it seems worthy ... to others, not so much. But mention a unicorn for comparison ... and you're in deep shit on the ridicule front. If something looks, and is thus treated as ridiculous, DEFEND it ... don't whine.

If the truth hurts, is it the truth's fault? ... or the fault of the falsehood it replaces?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit