Ripping a person’s faith away, a heavy responsibility?

by Seraphim23 207 Replies latest jw friends

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

so, is honesty the best policy or not? when someone says "bless you", to me; i say, "try again but thanks for what is obviously a compliment." what i hear is, "you helped me out but i am thanking a third party invisible character". screw that. you will thank me. I CHOOSE TO BASK IN WHATEVER GLORY I HAVE EARNED. THANK YOU. that is the only reason i am helping you out... glory for myself. call me selfish but call me honest. god is for people with no talent. i said it.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Wow, I never for a minute thought this was about being fake nice, or not stating the truth. It's a forum, the point is to discuss, challenge, argue even. I have no problem with that. I have a lot of respect for the Athiests here. I have learned a lot from Crofty and EP, to name a few of my favorites. What I am talking about, and what I feel is the point of the op, is just a little consideration for those that may not yet be be as far along in leaving the mind control of the Watchtower. They come here, they figure out that yes, they were in a bad religion. Most of us have been there, maybe they still believe in God, maybe they don't know. They haven't got that all worked out yet, but they see a topic they have an opinion on and post something. Maybe they are being stupid, there is something that is a holdover from dub think, whatever. For this they are ridiculed and publicly made fun of. I have seen it. I don't see the necessity of humiliating people, other than to make the poster feel superior. Why isn't making your case without ridicule enough? Do you need the ego boost you get from making fun of someone? Maybe the moment you left the dubs, you figured everything out and got it right, hooray for you; have a little consideration for those that haven't.

Yes the truth hurts, who said anything about not saying the truth? If you have truth on your side, isn't that rebuke enough? Is it necessary to spoon out the truth with a big heaping dollop of humiliation and ridicule? Yes, the religionists ridiculed evolution, that was wrong, but to ridicule those who may not have this all figured out yet isn't right either, and when do two wrongs ever make a right?

• Comatose
    Comatose

That's the hard thing to realize as u leave the fake nicey nice and enter the real world. It's ok to differ in opinion and to state it. It's ok to argue, it's not personal it's just a difference of opinion. The valuable thing about this site is you can express yourself and say what you want.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I remember when I first left, I was so passionate about findind out TTATT that I definitely came across judgemental and the JW's were so wrong etc. As I have learnt so many life lessons since then, I have gone through great happiness, great sadness, my beliefs evolving and changing I am at a very good place on that. I have my belief, I will respect yours. I am happy to talk / debate but there is absolutely no need for me to have you believe what I do, or for you to even agree with me. I realise that our paths / decisions have brought us to different places - where we need to be - to learn whatever it is that needs learning.

• still thinking
    still thinking

For this they are ridiculed and publicly made fun of. I have seen it. I don't see the necessity of humiliating people, other than to make the poster feel superior. Why isn't making your case without ridicule enough? Do you need the ego boost you get from making fun of someone? Maybe the moment you left the dubs, you figured everything out and got it right, hooray for you; have a little consideration for those that haven't.

I would love to know exactly who you are referring to that is doing this? You're getting on your high horse and giving everyone a good old telling off aren't you? And in quite a ridiculing way I might add.

The threads where I see people being the rudest to one another are political threads and conspiracy threads. But thats my opinion. And even then not all of it is rude. Just the occasional post. And it goes in all directions. I wouldn't say it is one sided by any means...and I can honestly say I don't care.

Who are these posters that are being humiliated anyway?

When I first began posting on this forum I never looked at political threads. Partly because I wasn't interested, and mostly because it is all American politics. So I didn't bother. But I do look occasionally to see if there is anything of interest. Which normally, for me there isn't.

The 'conspiracy threads are where I really see people calling other people nuts. And again, all sorts of people and those people making their cases for conspiracies are far from wilting violets...they come out fighting and holding their ground.

Are these the people you are referring to? Or is it just the spiritually inclined you fear for because of their sensitive natures and touchy offense triggers.

• Qcmbr
  • EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

This seems to be a bit all over the place. Is the idea to simply be nice? If so, that's not a bad idea, usually. Is the idea to NOT challenge people or debate things if it makes someone uncormfortable? If so, that's not going to happen.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I think its the latter, persons of faith do seem to have a hair trigger on taking it as a personal attack when an idea is challenged.

Well that is my observation over the years on this board.... in fact I remember being similar when i was a JW, the hackles would go up and the blinkers would go on instead of testing my own faith I just rejected ideas that tested it.

QCMBR that pic swings both ways, the believers will read it one way, non believers read it the other way...

• wasblind
    wasblind

Mornin' All !!!!!

I had a great Mothers Day. Wow have this thread grown

I have read on this thread were someone said to ridicule a persons belief is not an attack on the person

I have to disagree

In my opinion. and it jus' my Opinion. What you do or don't believe reflects who you are

And it doesn't necessarily make you out to be a good or bad person

It is like a set of clothes you wear that reflect your personal taste

If someone approached you and said that your outfit ( Belief/ Faith ) looks ridiculous on you

How could you not take offense.

Because that outfit , that you believed fit nice on you

was ridiculed and you were told it was all wrong to have such faith in that belief

Jehovah's witnesses go D2D tellin' folks to put on a new set of clothes

because they have a problem wit the ones the householder is wearin'

and yes, They will talk junk about that householder once they get back in the van

they bailed out of uninvited

A Jehovah's Witnesses belief is not like the classic little black dress that can look

as good today as it did in the past

Thier belief is like a knock off designer bag wit a missed spelled label

A fad. In one season and out the next

For that, I do laugh. Yes. I am guilty as anyone else

I will try to be more mindful in the future as to someone elses feelin's

when I point out things

But I will not stop warnin' others about the Door to Door salesmen know as the Jehovah's Witnesses

who sell this knock off as the one " true " religion

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Im familair with many "christians" who openly mocked others faiths even if they are other god fearing christians. The black and white thinking that comes from the delusion that you have biblical TRUTH makes the holder of that delusion more likely to engage in behaviours best described as unchristian.

I'm far more tolerant now that Im an atheist than i ever was as a fundamentalist so called christian.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit