Ripping a person’s faith away, a heavy responsibility?

by Seraphim23 207 Replies latest jw friends

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

We live in a big world, still just as full of mysteries as it ever was. The mysteries have changed and the questions further down that infinite line we call knowledge. Yet the questions are always there that don’t have answers. Enter in the world of faith, science, religions, spirituality, empiricism, subjectivism and logic.

I bring this up because it relates to peoples world views. On this board we have atheists, believers in God, spiritual people of various stripes and agnostics; all of which have different world views. However one fact seems to be true, that when it comes to how we approach others there are the dogmatists, who inhabit each and every one of the aforementioned categories. I remember when I first began to realise the JWs world view was floored and wrong. It was devastation to me and my entire world view. It felt like being lost with no lights on to show the way. All world views are a bit like this when proved wrong, but as with cults, some can be more traumatic than others when crumbling away under our feet. So why the dogmatic attitude of some from any world view? I’m not talking about dogmatic in the sense of arguing for demonstrable facts in a debate, but the dogmatic attitude that would ripe a person’s world view foundation away without regard for where they land or the damage that could be done. It may be true that certain world views are wrong and damaging, but fighting fire with fire when the facts are on our side more than theirs, could burn some down without recovery.

What about a realising that any world view can be wrong? Science for instance is not a world view but scientism or materialism (logical empiricism) is. Evolution is not a world view but Social Darwinism is. In fact, probably all world views, because they attempt to apply to so much, end up being wrong. One thing being a JW taught me in coming out of it, was that holding truth provisionally is much wiser and allows kindness in dealing with others still trapped by it. Dogmatism is what they did so why should I be the same? In many ways it was dogmatism, not what they believed that was the evil. If they had allowed people to disagree, with some equity, then it would have not been a cult. So why is dogmatism applied so often to those who still hold views we now disagree with? I suggest that fighting fire with fire is not a good idea, but fighting fire with the lessons we should have leant because of being wrong at least once in our lives is better. Kindness and empathy would be better and more consistent with this I feel. No need to rip a foundation away instantly or without pause. Anger at the WT is also a factor here. I think some amount of taking it out on those still in it, to whatever degree, gets in the way of being consistent on this matter as well.

Also if one is attacked, or feels attacked, and the two are not always the same thing, one will automatically go into defence mode and whatever we say, however true will not penetrate the mind at all. We might end up not helping them or ourselves, pointless!

If it is true, and I think it is true, that spiritual people preach best when no words are used but example is used, then the same would apply to anyone who thinks the facts are on their side. Obviously words are used but the principle counts I think. It is a question of emphasis and degree.

I would not want to damage someone as a result of carelessly kicking their rocks from under them and watching them drown, so I hope no one is offended by what I have written here. I would want to take them by the hand and lead them to the shoreline and give them a juicy coconut.

• *lost*
    *lost*

Seraphim bang on. excellent post

there are a few haters.... I often wonder if they realise just how bitter and angry they sound. In this world, you only get to play the victim card for a limited time, then your expected to stand on your own two feet and get on with it. Everyone is in pain and suffering and angry and hurst and maybe even a tad bitter. You wouldn't treat people in real life like it, it wouldn't be tolerated.

(Maybe they just don't care about how they are, maybe they just don't care about others, or things like manners)

(not you, as in you, per se, but people in general you know )

(if i choose to believe there are sparkly pink fairies living on the moon, that's my choice. Some of us fought hard for that freedom in life)

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Yes, it sometimes is a fine line between arguing a position and just being a jerk. No matter what anyone believes they are still a human being with feelings, and there is no reason to be condescending. Some here have only recently left dub think, their new world view is a little fragile and still evolving, there is no need to rip it apart. I think sometimes people here are a still mad at themselves for falling for the Watchtower's lies, and they take is out on thoses who still believe in some of it, or who still believe in God.

• talesin
    talesin

Seraphim23.... agreed!

LisaRose,,, you speak what I have thought for a while ... I've been an atheist for over 30 years, but feel no need to condescend to and/or virtually browbeat believers.

xo

tal

• JeffJ
    JeffJ

Great post Seraphim. This is a lesson society tries to teach us early about bullying but it tends to go over our heads until we get older. Are we trying to tear down a person just to give ourselves comfort that we are better or are we engaging them because we are genuinely looking out for their best interest.

• *lost*
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I see your point, both of you. Who am I to shatter someone's illusion? I was being badgered to disclose my feelings by a family member recently. Being a bit passive aggressive, I let some deep feelings concerning TTATT out. I am sure the Elders will be investigating soon.

Anyway, I actually feel bad about it. Why?! Why should I feel bad saying the WTBTS acts hypocritically? Now I am the spiritually troubled, faithless bad guy. Now my life will probably become a living hell, all because I expressed myself when pressured repeatedly to do so.

When is lying to someone doing them a favor?? Must I treat everyone as though they are mental patients who believe in Gnomes and Smurfs, and that is the only reason they have any happiness at all? That's what it feels like. Anything else just causes problems.

The last meeting I went to was great. I drank wine and took meds before I went. I guess that's what I will do from now on. I will just be one of the nuts in the nut-house.. If only I could be lobotomized like Baby- Doll from Suckerpunch. ( A great movie by the way )

• *lost*
    *lost*

DD ask Gojira for a copy of her wake-up pack. Smack em raound the head with it.

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

I like this seraphim

One thing being a JW taught me in coming out of it, was that holding truth provisionally is much wiser and allows kindness in dealing with others still trapped by it.
  • soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

some world views are worth defending but not if one comes up against another faith based outlook. the trick is to recognise when a person is defending a cherished belief that they have faith in and when an individual wants to explore a worldview from different perspectives even if it upsets them for the moment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit