Kidnaper of 3 Cleveland women - his mom a JW

by Gayle 53 Replies latest social current

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Sorry for the double post.

Here is another quote which says that Castro's JW mom visits Reading, PA frequently and attends 'church' while there.

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=476287

One by one the Berks County family members of Ariel Castro got the horrible news Monday, all receiving cellphone calls or seeing news reports about the monstrous acts their relative in Cleveland was accused of committing.

Their first thoughts were for the three young women that Castro, 52, is charged with kidnapping, raping and imprisoning for about a decade, and the now-6-year-old girl one of them delivered in captivity.

And then they thought of Ariel's mother, Lillian Castro, who brought Ariel and her three other children to Reading in the late 1960s.

They were unable to comprehend how a man raised by such a good woman, who now is around 70 years old, could go so wrong.

"She is the rock of the family, and she's always been there for whoever needs her," said a Berks woman who is one of dozens of Ariel Castro's relatives in the county.

The woman's father is Lillian's brother, so she is Ariel's first cousin.

On Thursday she, her sister and brother spoke with the Reading Eagle, asking that only their last name - Rodriguez - be used due to concerns for their family's safety and privacy.

They said Ariel Castro was born in Puerto Rico and came to Reading with his mother, his sister and his two brothers after Lillian separated from her husband Pedro, the children's father.

They lived with the Rodriguez family in a row home in the 400 block of North Second Street, and the Castro children attended Lauer's Park Elementary School.

In 1975 they moved to Cleveland, where Pedro Castro was living, but Lillian remained close to the Rodriguezes, coming back to Reading for visits a few times each year.

'Didn't raise Ariel this way'

Lillian ensured that the family stayed tight, lent a hand where needed and insisted on meeting with all her Berks nieces and nephews during each visit.

Three times in the last few years she stayed in Reading for months at a time to care for two of her sisters and her mother when they grew ill. She attended church here, as well as their funerals when they passed away.

Lillian Castro still has two sisters and a brother in Reading, including the father of the siblings interviewed Thursday.

"My dad wants to stress that Lillian didn't raise Ariel this way," said one of those siblings.

The woman said she remembers Ariel as a normal child, and as an adult talked to him occasionally by phone. He would always tell her he missed her and asked when she was coming to visit him.

The last time they spoke was about a year and a half ago. Like always, he seemed normal and happy.

"Nothing seemed strange," she said.

He kept mom outside

The only red flag for Lillian Castro is that Ariel never invited her into his home, the cousin said.

Instead, he'd always go to her house for dinner, or tell her to leave her home-cooked meals on his porch. But she thought that was because he was a hoarder, and she had no clue what was really happening inside, her niece said.

"He knew how to keep people away," she said. "I can't even think what made him do this to these girls. What happened? What went wrong?"

The Rodriguez siblings plan to visit Lillian soon to comfort her.

Baffled by flesh and blood

"It's indescribable what she is going through, what the rest of the family is going through," said one of her nieces, who said Lillian is like a mother to her. "I spoke to her a little bit and she doesn't sound like herself.

"She said it's hard to believe your flesh and blood did something like this."

She is relieved, though, that her sons Pedro, 54, and Onil, 50, were released Thursday. Authorities said they won't be charged.

Ariel Castro's relatives said they are still in shock over the news.

"When I hear the 9-1-1 call from one of the victims and I hear all that she went through, all this stuff she had to endure and the cause of it was this animal (Ariel)," she said. "It makes me sick to think of it.

"Evil comes in different forms. You never know who has that cold, evil heart. You never know how it will be disguised."

She has been in touch with relatives in Cleveland, New Jersey and Puerto Rico who feel likewise.

"Our hearts go out to those families," she said. "We're all in disbelief. He made so many victims."

Fearing the fallout

The woman is afraid that her family will be persecuted or ostracized if it becomes known they are related to Ariel Castro.

"Some people are ignorant like they think something like this is in the genes," she said.

When the Rodriguez family saw photos of 6-year old Jocelyn Berry, who was born in Ariel Castro's home to victim Amanda Berry, they could tell right away that Castro was the father. They said the girl has his features.

Jocelyn is their cousin (first cousin, once removed), and despite all that happened, they hope her mother will someday agree to let the family meet her.

"We're so grateful that little girl is all right," one of the women said. "We're so thankful those girls are alive."

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Why would his mother get upset or object to what her son did? According to the Bible, what did he do wrong? According to the OT, the only "punishment" for the guy that kidnaps a few women would be that he has to buy the women from their father. Then they become his property and they can't divorce.

• Slayerbard
    Slayerbard

OMG I'm from that area, and she would have visited my congregation! atleast before the spilt and the spanish got their own in the city congregation. there

• fiddler
    fiddler

Ariel Castro is an evil scumbag!

I do wonder about his mother's involvement with JW's...........was Ariel ever exposed to the JW element?

For now I feel badly for the mother. What her son chose to do and 'CHOOSE' is a powerful word.............was his choice.

If it comes out that Ariel was raised JW and maybe was abused by a JW............that would present a totally different angle to this conversation. We all know that the

'two witnesses' ruling in the elders manual would protect a child molester and so if the facts come out that Ariel was molested and didn't get proper help then it would add an element to the case................it wouldn't excuse the evil...........but it might put the WT in the spotlight. I bet they are watching this case and probably prompting the members to ber very careful in what they divulge.

.........I don't trust the WT as far as I can throw them as you can surely see.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

a savvy reporter needs to interview the elders in the KH

• Gayle
    Gayle

makes me wonder,,what some local elders might know about within that family group,,I read they were in Philadelphia also for awhile.

Just, what does these high profile cases of kidnapping & rape of this Cleveland case and Jaycee Dugard case have also in common,,Jehovah's Witnesses! I can't help about wondering about the JW elders in those congregation areas now. Did they cover up any child molestions in the past? Didn't tell authorities because of WT policy, could have even DF'd but didn't tell anyone why.

Suspicion.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I agree. In the spanish congregation, suspicion of the police or other authorities is looked at with suspician and disdain. Mostly from treatment by the police in whatever country they were from. An elder would have no issue holding back info from the police.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

bump

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Has anyone been able to confirm or not whether Ariel Castro was ever associated with the Witnesses? I am still expecting to hear that he was associated at 'one time, perhaps as a youth.

What do we know for sure, based on news reports?

1 Ariel Castro's mother is a Jehovah's Witness in Cleveland.

2 Castro visited his mother frequently and even took the young daughter to visit her where she called her 'grandma'.

3 Castro and his brother Onil had been to dinner at their mom's house on the day that they were picked up by the police.

4 Michele Knight testified in court yesterday that Castro was a hypocrite because he would 'go to church on Sunday and then come home and torture us'.

While there is nothing conclusive yet, it is very suggestive that he was aware of WT beliefs at least, and probably has been to the KH. Perhaps even recently if Michele's statements on his going to church are correct. (Who knows if what he told her was true or not... he is a pathological liar). All in all, I for one and waiting for the shoe to drop when we find out for sure.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

After Ariel Castro's death this week, his brother-in-law Juan Alicea was interviewed on CNN. Here is the link to the news item which includes part of the interview at two different places in the broadcast.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/crime/2013/09/05/erin-savidge-castro-family-speaks-on-ariel-suicide.cnn.html

The way he talks and acts is very suggestive that the brother-in-law might be a JW. Does anyone from Cleveland know him by any chance?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit