I sent this letter to my Parents.

by cofty 74 Replies latest members private

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks for the feedback and support everybody, its much appreciated.

I really don't expect the letter will have much effect on their future actions, they are both very loyal JWs. They were baptised just before I was born 50 years ago, that's a lot of indoctrination.

The point really was that sometimes things just need to be said. They need to know that we don't meekly accept their unreasonable behaviour, it isn't natural and we do judge them for it.

If it has any positive effect on them that will be an unexpected bonus.

I think they will either not respond at all or my dad will ring and want to have his say. His only refuge is the old JW canard that I made the choice to leave. I hope he does because I am more than ready to discuss that one with him.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Cofty, nice letter, good luck let us know how it turns out, and thanks for sharing.

• Scully
    Scully

This is very well done, cofty. I struggle with similar frustrations regarding my own JW parents. I decided some time ago that I was no longer interested in a one-sided relationship with them, where I do all the work of maintaining contact and travelling to visit them. I haven't voiced my position as yet, but your letter is a good deal better than anything I've come up with to date - I end up going down an emotional bunny trail and get very very upset. I love the rational approach you've taken, and perhaps I'll borrow some of the thoughts you've shared the next time I try to write a letter to them.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Great letter, well-written.

The more important thing is your health -- I'm sorry you have to wait and worry for another three months before getting an answer about the spot on your lung. I wish we could help somehow -- you're such a good person and so intelligent.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Wow Cofty,

What a great letter you wrote.

I wish you well and hope the best for you.

• whathappened
    whathappened

I like your letter. As a mother and grandmother, it would definately make me think.

We are all pulling for you to get through this cancer scare. Keep us posted, of course.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Excellent, excellent letter!! Paragraphs 6, 9 and 10 are so powerful! How any parent could read those words and not feel some shame.

• suavojr
    suavojr

Cofty, my heart goes out to you and I wish nothing but the best and full recovery. It is disheartening to see how people we love can simply turn off their emotions. All this dogma is sucking all the air out of the room! Hopefully you can break the spell...

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Excellent letter. I hope they prove worthy of the effort you put into it.

• VIII
    VIII

Very good letter Crofty. I don't know how they could remain unmoved.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit