Enemies Of Reason -Richard Dawkins

by frankiespeakin 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Cold,

I looked at some of those videos and they didn't seem to be very informative, they had some nice scenery shots but nothing conclusive. Perhaps you could tell us where some important information is like say at 3'20" spot in the video or something. Being that this is mainly an Xjw discussion site I doubt many will even bother watching these videos very far so perhaps giving an exact location on the video might cause some to look.

• *lost*
    *lost*

TAL - you know, I cannot think why i said that.

And my memory of the time I wrote it is failing. It has me perplexed. I think I must of made a typo error and maybe meant to say ' born believers ' not born in. I can't make sense of it now. lol (wasn't drunk at the time... honest lol. )

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Yep, Mormonism is about faith, just as many other religions claim to be; however, we’re more open to science and what it teaches us than any other religion that I’ve found. As I’ve taken pains to mention, science keeps rewriting itself. Text books that are even now being published will be obsolete in a decade. To dismiss a religion because of a perceived contradiction between it and a “snapshot” of scientific thought is, in my view, the height of error. Yet some people demand that a religion is absolutely demonstrable and subject to the scientific method.

But is this fair? Qcumbr has correctly explained our view of why we’re here and where we’re going — the purpose of life.

I have no problems discussing this further, though a JW website might not be the best venue for it.

Those who are interested in discussing this, please leave me a private message here with your e-mail. And before we get underway, it might help to know what your former religious views were (if any) and your present views. It would be helpful to also have a mail client like Outlook or Gmail, where you can receive HTML formatted messages. And finally, it would be helpful to have a copy of the Book of Mormon (though for most of this discussion, the two chapters of Nephi will be enough). Qcumbr undoubtedly has one and I can arrange to get anyone else a copy.

I do believe there is enough evidence to demonstrate that the Book of Mormon is not only plausible, but that there’s substantial evidence in its favor. As mentioned previously, with the amount of information we now have about Mesoamerican languages, DNA, cultures and history, if the Book of Mormon were false, the evidence against it should not continue to concatenate each year in favor of its credibility.

Just let me know if you'd like to do this.

• mP
    mP

Mormonism is a bunch of crap. Until recently they believed blacks were cused and wouldnt allow them to into higher positions within the church. Given the bble is full of racism at the least they are faithful to what it teaches.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

Cold Steel: " Those who are interested in discussing this, please leave me a private message here with your e-mail. "

Be careful, everyone. At best, Cold Steel is a Mormon who is looking to convert those who may be wavering after their disaster with the WTS.

At worst, he may be a scamster or WTS spy.

Don't give him your email.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

All religions, when they start, are open to the current knowledge of the time and can claim to embrace it because they build in the latest ideas available. Each year thereafter they struggle to defend their position as people discover new things. As we experiment we discover new truths and we discard old modpels for better ones.There is no shame or loss of confidence because reason drives the actual search for knowledge. Faith on the other hand, requires a fixed view despite subsequent evidence otherwise the final reward is at risk.Mormonism once claimed to embrace all truth, including scientific, because once it had nothing to fear from them, now it is running scared. We have incontrovertable dna proof that Israelites were not the "principal" ancestors of the American Indians, we have proof that the facsimiles used in the Book of Abraham are standard funery texts containing none of the supposed revelations, we have incontrovertable proof that there has been no global flood, no time of paradisical immortality for all life, we have proof that no huge undiscovered societies once lived in the Americas ( the same way we can say with certainty that Scotland was not once a bustling Ming dynasty province), we have proof that the prophets have no discernment (Hoffman forgeries) and we have proof of how stars produce light. mormonism is scrabbling to keep itself current and will unravel as its past catches up to it.

As for offering private PM discussions on this board I suspect you have played your hand and revealed that you are in missionary mode and looking for converts. This board helped me to exit the church based upon seeing how similar core ideas were and how processes for control were shared. I invite you to, in public, in a specific thread , see if your testimony and truths can withstand honest and sustained reason and facts. Should you come out having put all 'enemies of truth' to the sword you would have done us all a favour otherwise , together, we would have shown , for all to see and benefit thereby, that Mormonism is not where seekers of a new faith post JW exit should look.

• bohm
    bohm

How good of cold steel to come here and preach ideas so bad he is not willing to defend them in public!

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Cold Steel said; " The truth is that if God emblazoned incontrovertible evidence across the heavens, many would still reject Him. And in the day of judgment their condemnation would be swift and sure."

You might be right! However at the very least, those who reject him will be able to make a conscious, informed decision based on ' incontrovertible evidence across the heavens'.

Clearly the thought processes of a cult-infected mind. I hope you one day find your clarity, sir.

• cantleave
    cantleave

How good of cold steel to come here and preach ideas so bad he is not willing to defend them in public!

• erbie
    erbie

Cold Steel is priviledged indeed as God has not hidden himself from him.

I'm very happy for him, really I am.

Genuinely no sarcasm intended.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit