Enemies Of Reason -Richard Dawkins

by frankiespeakin 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

“If, on the Sabbath day, when we are assembled here to worship the Lord, one of the Elders should be prompted to give us a lecture on any branch of education with which he is acquainted, is it outside the pale of our religion?
    “Or if an Elder shall give us a lecture upon astronomy, chemistry, or geology, our religion embraces it all. It matters not what the subject be, if it tends to improve the mind, exalt the feelings, and enlarge the capacity. The truth that is in all the arts and sciences forms a part of our religion. Faith is no more a part of it than any other true principle of philosophy.”

- Prophet Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, v. 1, pp. 334-335.

The early bravado subtely changes to a modern day less certain and guarded embrace of truth.

"Church history can be so interesting and so inspiring as to be a powerful tool indeed for building faith. If not properly written or properly taught, it may be a faith destroyer…

"There is a temptation for the writer or the teacher of Church history to want to tell everything, whether it is worthy or faith promoting or not. Some things that are true are not very useful… "

- Boyd K Packer at BYU.

• erbie
    erbie

That does not mean that I approve of what the Morons teach.

No intelligent person could ever believe in such ridiculous nonsense (I'm being polite).

You are just following power hungry individuals who crave your unquestioning loyalty to fill their coffers and, more importantly, feed their ego.

You insist on evidence from science but you refuse to provide any evidence to supplement your own beliefs/ideas, obviously because none exists.

To even preach to any intelligent person about Moronism is a gross insult to their capacity to reason...

and their sense of smell for that matter - yes, in other words their teaching is nothing more than a waste product from a warped and twisted mind attracting ever more flies.

Yes, that is insulting. Get over it and grow up.

Out-grow the false teachings of those to whom you have enslaved yourself.

The world can never move on while persons such as you stubbornly cling to such primitive, superstitious falsehoods for which there is no evidence or logic.

Even as we speak, science is striving to find a cure for cancer, heart desease, dementia and so on, the list is endless. And all the while I hear from religious persons who are obsessed with saving their own arse while undermining the credibility of scientific findings and theories which only serve to increase our capacity to understand and progress.

I find it pitiful!

• *lost*
    *lost*

erbie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit