Enemies Of Reason -Richard Dawkins

by frankiespeakin 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

CS: “I don’t think God hides from anyone ... the Lord has hidden both His existence and right to rule from unbelievers.”

Parakeet: Would you care to explain this contradiction?

CS: "By “hide” I mean more of an evasive attempt to remain concealed. By “hidden” I mean concealed but able to be found. God does not hide from anyone who seeks Him; however, he has made some things hidden so as to reveal them to those He deems worthy."

Parakeet:

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Parak,

Sound like a plausible cognitive dissonance nuetralizer to me.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

frankiespeakin: " Sound like a plausible cognitive dissonance nuetralizer to me. "

I never knew the verb "to hide" could twisted into so many meanings.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

If there is such a thing as a God who truly exists, how come he/she is the only one? That is against the laws of all probability.

Well, this is something we can agree on. The concept that man has the capability of becoming like God is theosis, and it's something only the Eastern Orthodox and the LDS believe in. Essentially, it's that God became man so that man can become God. John states that those whom the Father has given Jesus become coheirs with Jesus, inheriting all that the Father has.

If three can be one, why not 30, or 300 or 300 million? When Jesus prayed to the Father regarding the apostles, "that they may be ONE, even as we are ONE," he declared the manner in which God is ONE. After the Fall, Elohim (plural form of God) said, "Man has become as one of us," knowing good from evil. When Isaiah quoted God as saying that He was the only one and that He knew of no other, he was speaking in the context of pagen gods. The Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Jehovah is the Father and, unable to solve the paradox, ultimately denied the godhood of Jesus and relegated Him to "angel" status. This instantly branded them as heretics. Had they studied the scriptures further, they would have discovered that Jesus was Jehovah, not Michael. Also, that Jehovah, being the Son, could not be the Father.

It's kind of like being an ascended being in the old Stargate series, only about a billion times better.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I never knew the verb "to hide" could twisted into so many meanings.

Yes, it's called English. You really should have paid attention in class.

It also has a rich meaning in Greek (apokryphos), Hebrew and Egyptian. It's applied to the Christian "mysteries of the Kingdom of God" as well as the apocrypha, and was borrowed and hyped by the Gnostics. The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Christian Nag Hammadi library were "hidden," but with every intention of being found at a future time. Jesus repeatedly states that seekers shall find the hidden things of the earth, but they were hidden to keep the pearls from being mauled by the swine.

• nicsfreedom
    nicsfreedom

Happened across this video last night, how timely to share another opinion about Dawkins:

http://youtu.be/3-eAg7Z6m1Q?t=10s

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Stop feeding the troll. Cold Steel - if you seriously believe what you're saying and you're not just trolling then please get yourself checked into a mental health institution.

Atheism is not a religion - it's the lack of it, it's the state we are born in and most animals (including humans) find themselves in. It's like saying lack of money makes you rich - it doesn't make sense.

• *lost*
    *lost*

what about people who are born in believers ?

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

CS: " Jesus repeatedly states that seekers shall find the hidden things of the earth, but they were hidden to keep the pearls from being mauled by the swine. "

Hear that, fellow swine?

There's Mormon Christianity for you. Like other cults, full of love and compassion.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Nothing 'revealed' in Mormonism has been correct in a factual way in fact , with the odd fortunate exception (e.g. No smoking), it has proven ridiculous, dangerous and a distraction from reality. Its cosmology is wrong ( there is no great star surrounded by lesser orbiting stars, stars do not get light from higher order of stars, nobody lives on the moon in Quaker style dress, planets do not convert into a crystalline non-entropic state etc.) , its history is corrupted ( current textbooks decontextualise the history and re-represent it in a whitewashed fashion, small example - I never knew Joseph Smith used a stone in a hat to 'translate' the Book of Mormon , instead I was taught and our artwork at the time showed Joseph using the Urim and thummim as a translation tool directly on the gold plates) , it's archaeology is absolutely zero - even tiny civilisations leave traces ( we find small bronze age houses on remote islands in the British Isles ) - but the million man battles and huge, concrete and city building people's of the BoM have left not one single shred of evidence, its ancient linguistic ability is laughable ( Book of Abraham facsimile used has been shown to be a standard finery text not , as mendaciously described by JS, a record written by the hand of Abraham, also the Egyptian alphabet he and the brethren concocted is utter gibberish), its social laws are as racist, sexist, homophobic and explotational as any ever written by any culture ( black men and the priesthood/marriage, polygamy, polygany, gay reclamation electro shock therapy, proposition 8, a woman's place is 'in the home' and so on) , its geology is absurd ( 6000 year old earth), its rejection of evolution and embrace of creationism unfortunate and demonstrably false and its contributions to physics, maths, astronomy, biology, geology, ancient history, genetics , medicine and all other scientific fields ranges from zero to galloping bollock twaddle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit