Enemies Of Reason -Richard Dawkins

by frankiespeakin 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

CS: I don’t think God hides from anyone, but the entire idea about being here is to learn to live through faith.

RP: Based on what?

CS: Based on what God has revealed and the way He revealed it. In short, the Lord’s mission statement is, simply,“For this is my work and my glory, to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.”

Do you truly not see how inadequate this response is? It's a circular argument that goes nowhere and convinces no one but yourself. "We're here to live through faith. Why? Because God has revealed it. How do you know that? Because we're here to live through faith."

CS: Science has always been more blind than insightful. It only believes what it can see or detect.

RP: Yet here you are communicating with others through science and technology. Do believe your doctors are more blind than insightful? Do you pray instead of depending on medical science when you and your loved ones get sick?

CS: I believe you misunderstand. What I meant to say is that science will always have more questions than answers. The existence of “dark matter” and black holes, galaxies, anti-matter, quantum physics and the like have opened new and exciting areas of investigation. But are there are new questions and new discoveries which show man has only scratched the surface of what we think we know. Once one advances past the known universe, will there be untold billions more blinking back at us from incalculable distances. Will ours be surrounded by other, older and larger systems?

I take from your response that you think "new and exciting areas of [scientific] investigation" is in reality a hopeless quest that ultimately answers nothing. You prefer to stay mired in fixed ways of thinking. Intellectually, it's easier to believe in unproven absolutes than not having all the answers to your questions. That makes you an intellectual sloth.

CS: I understood it was a decisive victory...for the ancient scripture professor. The geologists showed up with their textbooks and the professor showed up with a Dutch science journal he’d been reading. There, in a peer-reviewed article, was the evidence.

RP: What article? what evidence? what debate? Details, please. A general summary is not very convincing.

CS: It had to do with earthquake faults, one of which ran under Salt Lake City’s Wasatch front. The point wasn’t that the professor of ancient scripture beat a professor of science; it’s that the changing nature of scientific knowledge is very rapid. Textbooks contain old information while journals contain the new. How can we trust something that’s changing that rapidly so much while rejecting the entire moral foundation of revealed religion as mere superstition?

The nature of scientific inquiry is questions. Science doesn't ask you to "trust" ("believe, have faith in," etc.) its findings. It does ask you to have an open, questing, and skeptical mind. The only thing you can trust is that change is inevitable. Clinging to a "fixed" moral foundation based on so-called revelation from God because you don't like change is the ultimate in head-in-the-sand thinking.

RP: What university is this? Wattsamatta U? Again, details would be nice.

CS: Brigham Young University

Wattsamatta U, indeed.

CS: The truth is that if God emblazoned incontrovertible evidence across the heavens, many would still reject Him.

RP: If the evidence were incontrovertible, why would anyone reject it? I wouldn’t. Speaking of which, why doesn’t God provide such evidence?

CS: God provides evidence, quite overwhelming for me, actually. It’s that he doesn’t provide proof positive and for the reason stated. In God’s eternal worlds, disobedience is answered immediately and justice is exercised without delay. Not so in our world, where we’re under a temporary quarantine. We’re placed in bodies that make our spirits enemies of God and justice is delayed to give us enough time to overcome and master them. And while you may accept something pertaining to God if presented with proof, you’d be the exception. If you’d care to see some evidence, drop me a PM, which would give me time to come up with some examples. But whether you would or wouldn’t, most men and women of science would not suddenly become spiritual and subject themselves to God. And by not accepting the evidence, the Lord would proffer them, they would bring about their own condemnation.

"Examples" of evidence is not evidence. It's hearsay, evidence that's not even acceptable for trying a case in a court of law. But it's supposed to be good enough to convince unbelievers.

And again, you're using a circular argument. "I need faith to believe in God - only then will he provide evidence. Why do I need evidence? So I can believe in God."

But if you do happen to have such convincing evidence, you can post it here for all to see. I'm not the only atheist and skeptic here. Many more would benefit from your "evidence." No "drop me a PM." Put it out here for everyone to see.

RP: If God is [deliberately] hiding from humanity, that puts the blame on him if people don’t believe in his existence. That’s one devious and vicious god you’re describing.

CS: Devious? Vicious? No, Jesus said He stands at the door and knocks. He who answers and invites Him inside are those who find. God represents himself through prophets and His Son. Jehovah, or Christ, is the great mediator between the Father and mankind.

The last time God came a-knockin' at our door, my mother answered and then proceeded to drag me and my siblings into the WTS cult. What a delightful spiritual experience that was! But my mother's answering the "knock" is as valid as yours. That's the trouble with "revealed truth." Just 'cause you say so doesn't make it so.

Again, you're arguing as though I've already accepted as truth the existence of God, Jesus, and prophets. I do not accept their existence as a point already conceded. If you want to convince, you must drop back 10 yards and punt.

CS: When our evangelical friends talk about Hell and burning I cringe. At our stage of development we’re not capable of bringing down that kind of judgment.

RP: If God has “revealed” the existence of hellfire to evangelicals, why are they wrong and you right? And who exactly are “we” when you talk about bringing down judgment on unbelievers?

CS: God has revealed no such thing to evangelicals, as a never-ending Hell would be counter to His very nature. By “we” I mean, of course, the human race. We’re in no position to be so harshly judged at our spiritual and intellectual immaturity. It would be like punishing an infant, which is what we are. To merit eternal punishment, our spiritual development would have to be at a much higher level.

How do you know for a fact that God has not revealed information to evangelicals? If God has revealed truth to you, he can reveal to others. All that appears necessary for such a claim to be true is the fact that you say it's true. Are you truly that arrogant?

BTW, you wrote earlier "How can we trust something [scientific inquiry] that’s changing that rapidly so much while rejecting the entire moral foundation of revealed religion as mere superstition?" If spiritual development is also in flux, then by your own words, it must also be "untrustworthy."

CS: It would be like killing an infant for having the colic!

RP: But your god would damn them all the same.

CS: Not at all. There's too much talk of damnation. Like I said, we need men of science. We need skeptics.

Another non-answer.

RP: You just said science is “more blind than insightful.” So why do “we” need it? And why do “we” need skeptics? If science is blind and skeptics are to be judged and damned, why are they necessary?

CS: Many think that religion is an open and shut book, and when the Millennium comes, we will find ourselves at the end of a very long and arduous road. But it will be just the opposite. Science has given us an intellectual edge among the nations, but spirituality has given us other needs. The two are not mutually exclusive, but work together for the benefit of man. We need science now to give us the edge in survival. As the Millennium progresses, we’ll learn more about science until we see that it and religion work in tandem.

So we need godless science and scientists to keep ahead of the Jones's in other nations. (These scientists who will, BTW, be damned, or condemned or punished or whatever word suits your sensitive conscience). Meanwhile, you sit on top of the heap believing you enjoy God's exclusive favor and on tope of that, you have the gall to condemn the rest of humanity for not answering God's "knock."

You're one piece of work, my Mormon friend.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

“I don’t think God hides from anyone ... the Lord has hidden both His existence and right to rule from unbelievers.”

Would you care to explain this contradiction?

By “hide” I mean more of an evasive attempt to remain concealed. By “hidden” I mean concealed but able to be found. God does not hide from anyone who seeks Him; however, he has made some things hidden so as to reveal them to those He deems worthy. “Behold, I stand at the door and knock,” He states. But it requires that one open the door. Certainly, He could walk right through it from a metaphoric standpoint and enter whether people chose to let Him or not. He could force us all to worship Him and be arbitrary about it; however, in doing so He would cease to be who He is.

For our own good, He also has chosen to hide some things from us at this stage of our development. And in those things He will be purposely evasive to ensure our free agency. Such things include His foreknowledge of our future lives and decisions, the right ones and wrong ones. Other things he will reveal to us, but they’re hidden. These include His nature, His will, things as they were, are and will be.

Didn’t God send prophets? Jesus actually walked the earth, isn’t that undisputed fact?

Actually, some people think God continues to send prophets. Sadly, that is something almost every organized Christian and Jewish religion doesn’t believe in anymore. But everything is open for challenge and no fact is so entrenched that it can’t be disputed. When God “hides” something, it requires “revelation” to reveal it — thus the term. By assuring people they’re able to ferret out hidden things by themselves, the creators of organized religions find they need no revelatory gifts.

Consider the 40 days following Jesus’ resurrection (see Acts 1:3). Not one traditional Christian religion today has any idea what Jesus taught during those days. Everything modern professors teach can be traced to other parts of the Bible as a basis; however, Jesus’ teachings during that time aren’t recorded anywhere. The scripture simply records that the Lord spoke “of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.”

LDS scholar Dr. Kent Brown put it this way:

Luke states that during the 40-day ministry the Savior spoke “of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God,” but there are only vague hints in other New Testament writings as to the nature and content of these teachings. The preaching of Jesus to the spirits in prison (see 1 Pet. 3:19 and 4:6) and the doctrine of baptism for the dead (see 1 Cor. 15:29) are two examples of teachings that best fit the context of Acts 1:3. Although few, if any, works pertaining to the 40-day ministry of Acts 1:3 were known a century ago, modern discoveries have produced a virtual library of such writings. Many claim to be authored by such apostles as Peter, John, Philip, Thomas, and James, while others, for example, are simply entitled “The Accounts of the Great Ministry,” “Concerning the Resurrection,” and “Dialogue of the Redeemer.” Many of these documents provide a time reference to the 40-day ministry when they claim to contain teachings of the Living Jesus. In this literature the word “living” is often a technical term that refers to the resurrected and glorified Christ.

Nowhere in the scriptures does Jesus speak about preaching to the spirits of the dead, or whether people could be baptized in behalf of those who have died. There’s also nothing in the Old Testament that speaks of the Messiah preaching to the dead (though Isaiah seems to have referenced it when he wrote: “ And it shall come to pass in that day, that the Lord shall punish the host of the high ones that are on high, and the kings of the earth upon the earth. And they shall be gathered together, as prisoners are gathered in the pit, and shall be shut up in the prison, and after many days shall they be visited. ” 24:21-22)

Ancient Christianity was a revealed religion. It could not have been projected using only the Old Testament. In the same way, I don’t think it’s possible to project an organized religion from a revealed religion, though many have tried. Martin Luther, who said he sought nothing but reforming the church so it would be in conformity with the scriptures; John Calvin, Alexander Campbell and Sidney Rigdon, William Miller, Charles T. Russell and Joseph Rutherford and so on until Herbert W. Armstrong and others. Many just assumed they were God’s agents and clearly expected their movements to be God’s sole work.

Brown goes on to say regarding the plethora of strange documents uncovered fairly recently:

...most scholars have tacitly adopted the following standard for determining the value of such documents: if they correspond to something already known to “orthodox” Christianity they are assumed to have been derived from Christianity; if they do not correspond to “orthodox” Christianity they were probably not Christian in origin. The difficulty with this standard is agreeing on a definition of “orthodox Christianity.” Although scholars differ on such a definition, they are generally agreed that most of what is contained in the 40-day literature is not fully Christian.

Bottom line, many of these things are hidden and must be revealed in light of God’s power. But He’s not going to force anything on anybody.

• *lost*
    *lost*

Lisa - I don't think I actually said 'you need to have religion to have morals and laws'

What I said was, take away morals and laws from society and then see how fast it would degenrate.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

So we need godless science and scientists to keep ahead of the Jones's in other nations. (These scientists who will, BTW, be damned, or condemned or punished or whatever word suits your sensitive conscience).

Well, this may be the opinion of others, but it's neither my opinion or that of the LDS faith.

Any scientist, godless or otherwise, will tell you they don't have all the answers, just as any honest religion will. By reviewing my comments, it's tough to see how you could gather what you have. And why would you ASSUME that scientists (even atheist scientists) would be "damned, or condemned or punished"? Don't you think such a God would be arbitrary, capricious and unjust, for starters?

I love science and science fiction, but the only thing that irks me is when science pretends it has all the answers in any given area. Or that they know enough to declare they know enough to conclude that God doesn't exist.

As far as my beliefs go, no one is going to be damned, condemned or punished for their personal views. And science and technology are absolutely essential to our welfare as a nation. During my career, I've worked almost exclusively with scientists from numerous fields. My observations are that man has done some amazing things and, left to itself, may produce even more stunning achievements. Yet the Lord states in a modern revelation that "in that day when the Lord shall come, he shall reveal all things—things which have passed, and hidden things which no man knew, things of the earth, by which it was made, and the purpose and the end thereof—things most precious, things that are above, and things that are beneath, things that are in the earth, and upon the earth, and in heaven." (D&C 101) Left to our own devices, we will be "ever learning, but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth." (2 Timothy 3:7)

Do you really have a problem with such a belief, even if you don't personally believe in a God?

• cofty
    cofty

Cold Steel are you really promoting the Mormon cult on a cult-recovery forum?

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

cofty: " Cold Steel are you really promoting the Mormon cult on a cult-recovery forum? "

Yes, cofty, that's exactly what he's doing. I should have known trying to reason with him was a lost cause when he mentioned Brigham Young University.

On the other hand, his posts are perfect examples of Dawkins's "enemies of reason."

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I was responding to direct questions, and whether I'm LDS or some other sect, the answers would equally apply. You, Parakeet, are the one who interpreted by comments as anti-science when they clearly weren't. You were the one who attempted to make belief in an intelligent designer mutually excusive with respect for science, which is why so many religious scientists feel they're being hijacked by the secular humanist extremists amongst them.

Not everyone on this board is turned off by all religion, though some are. This forum is for Belief, Doctrine & Practices of the Jehovah Witness "cult" as you call them. And perhaps they are a cult. But wasn't ancient Christianity also a cult? The Romans seemed to think so. But before anyone hijacks science as their own personal religion, you should concede that there are respected scientists who believe in God and are dedicated Christians. In fact, I think "Mormonism" is particularly well suited to science as part of its own theological philosophy and methodology; however, many mainstream Christian sects also are equally respectful of science. I've known many scientists who are Christian evangelicals. Just because the JW philosophy tends to run against science and higher education, it is the exception and is not typical of Christian thought.

• smiddy
    smiddy

If their is such a thing as a God who truly exists , how come he/she is the only one ? That is against the laws of all probabiliyty

smiddy

• cofty
    cofty
    I think "Mormonism" is particularly well suited to science as part of its own theological philosophy and methodology;

Thanks for the laugh.

Mormonism is a chidish fairy tale that makes the Watchtower sound credible.

Jesus in America, magic stones, gold plates, sacred underware. FFS!

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I like the title and I think Richard does a good job at trying to get to the persons reasoning abilities. Wishful thinking and good reasoning ability are not good bed fellows, not to mention years of bad imput material from our surrondings from both religeous and cultural we form these blocks in our reasoning capacity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit