Thoughts on the new AAWA video and other things!!

by iamwhoiam 154 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon
    Simon
    I expect a person who chooses to engage in asking questions to answer questions, and particularly when participants bother to answer questions ask by the person.

While you are free to ask questions you cannot insist on answers - there is no judge that compels a person to answer at all.

That's why if you want to clarify what people's opinion of what you viewpoint is, you are usually better to state it so any misinterpretation is clearly deliberate on their part and can then be ignored.

• Simon
    Simon
    My comment about shunning was/is a statement of something I believe.
    I believe it’s right that I shun child molesters by not associating with them socially. Otherwise I’d not say it!

I think that is more effective than asking whether what zed-is-dead thinks of your opinion is right or wrong.

[and apologies, our posts keep crossing so are a little out of sync)

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“Exactly, if someone is unclear then clarify what you meant, don't start debating whether they are right or wrong to have interpreted things a certain way. It doesn't help to make things clearer and only serves to create bad feeling and confusion.”

Simon,

The question at issue I asked to zed is dead needs no clarification, and zed is dead has not asked for any clarification as though he needs it. His response to my question was a bold dodge and nothing more. He failed to answer what was actually asked. His response does not so much as touch the question!

It takes time to engage people in discussion. Some I engage and others I don’t. If someone refuses to answer for themselves as they would have others do, then I spend my time elsewhere. I don’t have time for punks. (Consult a good dictionary)

“Surely the most important thing is to communicate what your opinion is clearly enough so that other people have a fairly good chance of interpreting it as you intended.”

Hence my question to zed is dead. Answering that question for what it actually asks is a perfect opportunity for zed is dead to make clear his opinion and for readers to see it for whatever it is.

Marvin Shilmer

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“While you are free to ask questions you cannot insist on answers - there is no judge that compels a person to answer at all.”

Simon,

No one has said there is a judge that can compel any participant here to answer as they would have others answer. So what’s your point?

If I’m free to ask questions then I’m free to ask zed is dead to answer what I asked. Right?

Marvin Shilmer

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“I think that is more effective than asking whether what zed-is-dead thinks of your opinion is right or wrong.”

Simon,

Respectfully, so long as I interact here within your established guidelines it’s unimportant to me what is or is not effective from your perspective.

From my perspective it’s important to understand what—meaning what sort of person—I engage in discussion with. Part of that assessment is made by examining how a person responds to questions asked.

Does it bother you that I want zed is dead to answer what I actually asked? If so, why?

Marvin Shilmer

• james_woods
    james_woods

The adopted cat was tempted to say that Marvin Shilmer is off topic - except that the topic legend said "other things".

The adopted cat thinks that use of "other things" in topics should be very limited in the future to avoid cosmic chaos.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

Jehovah's Witnesses are trained to believe that they are always RIGHT. They will do whatever it takes to (especially with creative wordsmithing and circular arguments) to prove their "rightness" and force that opinion on anyone who is foolish enough to disagree.

In my "newby" opinion, all too often those who have left the org carry on with that same attitude.

Be careful, Simon. Perhaps AAWA is needing a martyr (persecution from JWN) from within their leadership to rally support of "their" cause ....

• Satanus
    Satanus

We might be the enemy of the enemy.

S

• james_woods
    james_woods
    We might be the enemy of the enemy.

We might even be the victims of our own victimization fetishes...

• Simon
    Simon
    If I’m free to ask questions then I’m free to ask zed is dead to answer what I asked. Right?
    Does it bother you that I want zed is dead to answer what I actually asked? If so, why?

Correct, you are free to ask questions and no, it does not bother me that you do.

But at some point constant demands for answers from people who can chose not to answer can take over a topic leading it away from it's purpose and risk ruining an otherwise good discussion.

It's like someone being interviewed and asked a question that they refuse to answer. It's asked again, they still refuse. If the interviewer just keeps asking the same question over and over saying "I want an answer" then eventually, they start to annoy other people regardless of how important or intelligent their original question may be.

We're here to share opinions and ideas, if you think you have shared yours then job-done. If you think onlookers have understood your point then mission accomplished. If you think someone needs to admit that they were wrong then you may not have as much success because not everyone will a) agree with you that they are wrong or b) admit it publicly even if they do.

That's just how the interwebs work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit