Thoughts on the new AAWA video and other things!!

by iamwhoiam 154 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

Activism can be accomplished without an organization. Look at the Quotes site that drew the ire of the Watchtower. Look at the individual and collaborate work done by members of JWN. Few of the newer people here know that it was here that the Watchtower links to the UN were exposed through some of our past and present posters.

I am not a big fan of organizations. I am working on a few things right now that are going to mess with Brooklyn's collective minds. Some of my friends know about this, but I prefer to work on the downlow.

I view organizations like I do religion. If it works for you, knock yourself out. Just don't claim to represent me without me joining voluntarily.

zed

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

Bringing attention of the negative customs of Jehovah's Witnesses is a positive thing - if it's presented with sensitivity and logic. Some who are exiting the organization or have been removed react to the aftermath with anger, hostility, resentment and bitterness. I personally understand that reaction. However, at the early stage of my exit, I didn't want to listen to mudslinging ex-JW's. The videos of "apostafest" picnics were some of the worst. We can exit the JW belief system and still retain the thinking mechanisms. The persecution complex is one of them.

As a big fan of British punk during my teen years, I realized at some point that a person can remain angry for only so long. These guys soon became stylized caricatures of themselves. It eventually becomes boring.

I hope AAWA keeps it positive!

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“So does this mean AAWA is going to stop shunning? Are they themselves not guilty of shunning those who shun? Shunning can never be stopped no matter how bad you want it to. As long as there are humans, it will never cease to exist.”

AAWA is not against shunning.

AAWA is against shunning as taught and imposed by Watchtower.

AAWA neither teaches nor imposes the sort of shunning taught and imposed by Watchtower.

“How do you stop a crowd of true believers?”

You can’t always stop a crowd of believers. But there is hope for stopping with the power of education. If not the crowd, individuals of the crowd. More than anything else, as far as I can tell, AAWA is concerting its efforts to provide and distribute education for interested parties and for general public consumption.

“Taking too much action only reinforces the doctrines of true believers does it not? Its a mental war you cannot win. The only way shunning can be slowed is to educate yourself, set an example to others, and provide info when they ask for it. Let it work its way out on its own. Then, change just happens all by itself.”

Exemplars are fine instruments of education but they are not the only instruments of education.

Letting things work out on their own ends up with lots of preventable suffering. If we’d had the internet back in the mid-20 th century at least tens of thousands of preventable deaths could have been averted because Watchtower's absolutely stupid blood doctrine would never have gotten beyond lunatic whispers inside the brains empty heads of Watchtower ding-bats.

As best I can tell, more than anything else, AAWA intends to be a new force distributing education; not a replacement force. A force that stands on the shoulders of all who came before.

Marvin Shilmer

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

Oh Jesus, who woke Marvin up from naptime?!

" AAWA is not against shunning."

WTF!

zed

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“Oh Jesus, who woke Marvin up from naptime?!

"‘AAWA is not against shunning.’

“WTF!”

zed is dead,

Is it really that difficult for you to comprehend what I said about AAWA and what it opposes regarding shunning? Or, are you just that incapable? Or, something else?

Marvin Shilmer

PS: What I said about AAWA and shunning...

AAWA is not against shunning.

AAWA is against shunning as taught and imposed by Watchtower.

AAWA neither teaches nor imposes the sort of shunning taught and imposed by Watchtower.

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

Marvin the Shill-mer,

When is shunning NOT wrong?

zed

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

What if Rosa Parks had sat on that 'bus and then no one else did a thing ?

Read your history, that was not a random event. It was planned.

I haven't seen the video because I was trying to wash AAWA off me. In a little time, I'll pick it up again. I'm not going to run on about all the stupid, rookie, self infated mistakes they made. To those who can see the forest through the trees, they see it. Others choose to line up behind yet another charismatic leader, or cartoon character, and that suits them fine.

I'm not going to poo poo the video because I disagree with it's ever morphing charter, members, lack of transparency or honesty. But I have yet to see it. Once the last of the ridiculous exchanges passes through my lower intestine, I'll pick it up and take a look.

• iamwhoiam
    iamwhoiam

Wha happened?: "To those that can see the forest through the trees, they see it"

Exactly my friend, you hit the nail right on the head.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“When is shunning NOT wrong?”

zed is dead,

Lots of times. How many need I cite?

How about this one:

- I shun individuals I know to be child molesters by refusing to associate with one socially.

Question for zed is dead:

- Do you think that is wrong?

Marvin Shilmer

• *lost*
    *lost*

Ah i see. we are talking about the context. I get you Marv.

Shunning. Like boycotting. Disassociating oneself. Making a stand.

I too agree there are some instances in society where I too would shun people. Eg child molesters, undersirable characters. Organisations. etc. I base it on morals ( whatever they are theses days, it seems anything goes in today's world ).

Context is so important to understanding.

I attempted to watch the new video, couldn't, turned it off. Too much like WT speak for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit