The Small Quiet Voice

by Satanus 70 Replies latest jw friends

• wasblind
    wasblind

(((((( Satanus )))))))

• Satanus
    Satanus

torn

In your case, w time, 2 voices may become one. Sometimes, we need to hold a thought for months or even yrs, in order to accomplish a goal. A smart business man i used to work for told me that when he ran into an obstacle, he would just wait. In nature, this is a common tactic - be silent, stay focused on the voice and wait.

S

• tornapart
    tornapart

Where's the 'like' button? Oh yes...

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

This is a great thread ! For years I ignored the inner voice that kept telling me something is not right . I felt like I was being torn apart from the inside . It took me years to finally be still long enough to really listen .

When my Mom was really ill ,and near death, I missed a lot of meetings and had no time to study the literature . I believe this small break from the constant Watchtower influence gave me the needed 'quiet ' to start listening to my inner voice . After I went back to a regular JW routine things were different . That is when I gave myself permission to research the internet .

Like Dagney I was at a meeting when I made up my mind this was the last one I would ever attend . I knew there could be extreme repurcussions from family members ,it felt like I was taking a leap of a cliff ......I was so relieved that there was firm ground under me instead of a fall . Since that time I have found following the leading of my inner voice has brought me much more peace and happiness than any other time in my life !

• scotoma
    scotoma

Satanus:

You are right. The more you shut up the old voices you realize that you have a voice that is your own.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

“The way we talk to our children becomes their inner voice.”
    ? Peggy O'Mara

• Satanus
    Satanus

Correct, mrs jones. As the first voice, it's important, and carries them a long way in life. They can find their own voice, later on.

S

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I remeber a convention I went in the late sixties or early seventies. Back then the Watchtower taught that the heart, the actual physical heart, was the seat of motivation and was not to be trusted, as it would lead us astray. The heart was wicked! It would make you do crazy things! It seems laughable now, but we actually believed it. Now I know this was just part of the mind control, they wanted us to substitue their moral compass for our own, and to suppress our own inner voice. Without the influence of the Watchtower I would never have shunned relatives, stopped celebrating holidays or stayed in a bad marriage, I would have used my own moral compass. It is an evil thing to make someone not trust their own thoughts. I finally found my voice and started listening to it and was able to get out of the religion.

I still have to work at being true to myself, I sometimes take a step in the wrong direction, but I quickly realize it and get back on track because I have learned to trust my instincts. I am an antique dealer and when I first moved back to California I found a place to sell that seemed perfect. Being new I knew I would have to learn how they operated, but some of the people seemed intent on finding fault, correcting me for little things that seemed very trivial. I figured I was new, eventually I would learn how they did things, I could deal with it. As time when on however, it got worse, not better. The second time I was rudely put down in front of a customer, over getting a piece of tape (a piece of tape!), I left. It was hard, but I found another place where they were happy to have me and they treat me well. It worked out because I listed to my inner voice and trusted that if I left I would be OK, I didn't need to try and force myself to fit in because I thought it was the only place for me, and I didn't get upset or angst over it, it didn't work out, c'est la vie.

T

• wasblind
    wasblind

That's a true Quote Josie

As a child, My mom didn't kick her children ,

But If I didn't listen, My backside would feel the pain

• Satanus
    Satanus

Lisarose

That is very close to the way i have directed where to move to and for whom to work. It's hard to get it right always, the first time. So, adjustments can be made quickly to find the right people to work w, and the right place to be. The key is to not force things. Everyone has freedom of choice. Let the nagatives, negative people and negative attitudes, form their own pool. Just stay away from them. There is generally a place where one can be appreciated. Listening to OURSELVES is necesary for this.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit