Another elder came and told me I'm not an apostate and no-one can judge me.

by Julia Orwell 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I'll call him Bear, like teddy bear because he's big and nice. Bear's the COBOE, an intelligent but jittery man who suffers from a host of anxiety disorders. He 'just happened' to be driving down my street after the group, and 'just happened' to notice I was at home, tending to some animals.

We made small talk about my pets, and then he told me he'd come because he was concerned about me and wanted to help me. He asked if he could do something for me to help me, and I said I just needed a friend. He said he was my friend and understood me a lot better than others because he too suffers from anxiety. So we chatted a bit, and he brought up the various issues, namely the Facebook one and my being inactive. I told him I appreciated his concern, and was on sabbatical and would return to the KH when I was ready.

What was really telling though, was how he described most JWs. He described them as being incredibly narrow-minded, and hence they think I'm an apostate because I have different opinions on things. Bear told me he certainly didn't think I was an apostate. Even the elders are narrow minded, he told me.

When he mentioned the GB, I said nothing and gave no opinion. Bear told me I could only work things out for myself, irrespective of what the Org says, and that the Org supplies a way for people to approach Jehovah, but there may be other organisations too. He'd met many spiritual people in his ministry, who had organisations in which they could worship Jehovah. Bear also told me a lot about how the Org has disappointed him over the years, and no one had the right to judge me.

Mind you, here we are standing amidst my animals, feeding them! He finished by reassuring me of his friendship and care, and if any elder ticked me off, to let him know about it.

Could Bear have potential to wake up? People are waking up in droves, elders too.

• goatshapeddemon
    goatshapeddemon

Don't know, but he sounds like one of the few good ones.

• zeb
    zeb

Give hima hug.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Julia, Your Bro. Bear sounds like a thoughtful, thinking Elder. Hopefully, he will come by again. He obviously feels comfortable enough with you to speak freely. I am glad that you refrained from saying too much, in the case, that he is not a wonderful friend to you, but an Elder that wants to rid his congregation of all JW's, that don't pull the party line. I used to be a PollyAnna...that got stabbed in the back, too many times. Now, I am a cautious realist.

Just Lois

• Mum
    Mum

He sounds wonderful, and I hope he is. Just be aware that they could be playing good cop-bad cop.

Sorry if I sound cynical. Life turned me this way.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

He's a sincere man if that's what you mean. I'm not up to trusting him though, not unless he embraces TTATT...

• Room 215
    Room 215

Julia, he seems to be well on his way to making that embrace; some of his remarks to you I'm sure would seem heretical to many, if not most, of his fellow elders or other uber JWs. Nonetheless , I would still recommend circumspection when discussing your misgivings with him.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

It sounds like the sleeping bear may be awaking from his hibernation!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Could Bear have potential to wake up? People are waking up in droves, elders too.

Sounds to me that he may have already been awakened! Still, he must know that HE has to be careful about what he says (even to you).

Doc

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I'm not up to trusting him though, not unless he embraces TTATT...

There you go.

I thought of the Good-Cop Bad-Cop act, but I truly do believe most JW's (even elders) are sincere and want to do the right thing.

It's just that frigging cult that messes up what they think the right thing is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit