The Advocates for Awareness of Watchtower Abuses (AAWA) [WARNING]

by Simon 226 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

On Facebook as a platform.

There ARE safer alternatives and now that AAWA have finally taken down the offending group it would be good for them to consider using something more suitable rather than simply opening up another FB group albeit with stricter controls from the outset.

I believe they're using Wordpress as a CMS but there are so many other options that would provide AAWA members the same functionality as Facebook but rather than having all that private data stored by a 3rd party they could fence it and look after it themselves - total control.

Freeminds is built on the Joomla platform (something I'm very familiar with). I'd recommend AAWA to go down that same route starting with Joomla 2.5.10 from the outset (not V3 yet) and utilising Jomsocial as it's community component.

I would be happy to advise via PM

Nic'

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

"They should really try to collect as littleas possible and have clear terms around what is collected and how it will be used, who will have access to it etc..." -- Couldn't agree more. On the original AAWA thread, Lady Lee answered me respectfully when I asked about who would have access to peoples info, whereas Cedars went off on one, taking it as some personal attack.. Without detailed privacy/who will have access statements, I wouldn't go near AAWA, but I hope that they are able to help some people once trust is regained.

• jgnat
    jgnat

These are Canadian standards but the principles are pretty generic:

http://www.priv.gc.ca/resource/tool-outil/security-securite/english/AssessRisks.asp?x=1

• *lost*
    *lost*

Que music ....... '' Let's go round again .... '' ...... lmao

How devastatingly embarassing to show such incompetence and inaptitude. By ''Top Business Men'' mind you.

I'd say the WT is shaking in it's boots now.

Good golly how ever do these people actually manage to suvive in the '' real world ''. They really must think people are so thick and naive - I dunno, are they standard qualities for jw's ?

They sound like a right bunch of conmen now. '' TARMAC anyone....''

I am now even more suspicious as to what is really going on behind the scenes now. Everyone knows you format a business plan and do your market research BEFORE you attempt to hit the open market.

The first statement they made ..... in the beginning .... they intended to 'communicate' with the GB. hmmmmmmmm

Information - information is big bucks.

I wouldn't touch them with my dog. Not in a month of sundays.

To hear people rallying around them, supporting, making excuses.... reminds of all the anti-jw chit chat I hear, abuses of elders etc ... cover up's, turning a blind eye, scamming people, devious schemes and underhand tactics.

I guess all is fair in love and war.

At least it getting exciting again - I thought it had sunk. Wonder how the second showing is going to go or hmmmm

Also - Cedars / AAWA did not apologise to all of the members of the Community here.

Julia what's her face ...... surely they are not going to keep her on as a member of staff running their organisation - are they ?

Hmmmmmmmmmm - Skullduggery methinks.

I love being in the '' peanut gallery '' with the salt of the earth watching it all unfold..... so much fun.

Be careful how you treat people on the way up ...... you might just meet them again ... on your way back down.

edited to add

TYLIN - correct me if I am mistaken, but - did you say in another thread you were an AAWA volunteer ?

I get the impression, again correct me if I'm wrong, you know Cedars quite well.

Just I'm wondering why he would say he doesn't know you !

much love

lost

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Emotions + Initative + Calculated Planning = Greatest Achievements

EMotions + Initiative + Rushed actions = Dangerous Results

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

' I love being in the '' peanut gallery '' with the salt of the earth watching it all unfold..... so much fun. ' -- Not fun for those who were outed by this fiasco, and it's this kind of 'fun' that distracts everyone and has many of us obsessing over one topic instead of focusing on exposing the WT's control and supporting those who are struggling.. Or maybe I'm too serious, who knows? And what is the 'peanut gallery'?

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Peanut gallery

A peanut gallery was, in the days of vaudeville, a nickname for the cheapest (and ostensibly rowdiest) seats in the theater, the occupants of which were all too willing (in the view of the performer) to heckle.

The least expensive snack served at the theater would often be peanuts, which the patrons would sometimes throw at the performers on stage to show their disapproval. The phrases "no comments from the peanut gallery" or "quiet in the peanut gallery" are extensions of the name, meaning the "great unwashed" should defer to their betters.

In the late 1940s the Howdy Doody children's television show adopted the name to represent its audience of children.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Shakespeare had a peanut gallery. That's why he threw in characters like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern in to Hamlet.Or Juliet's nurse. Who can forget that busomy beauty?

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

LOST said,

did you say in another thread you were an AAWA volunteer ?

No

I get the impression, again correct me if I'm wrong, you know Cedars quite well.

No

Just I'm wondering why he would say he doesn't know you !

He doesn't

Would you like some peanuts?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

lost, your rhetoric and bashing is getting tiresome. The reason why some of us trust AAWA leaders' motives is because some of us know some of them personally and know they're good people who have ALREADY helped many before ever forming this organization. Just because you're a noob who has never met any of these people doesn't make them nobodies in the ex-JW community.

Did they screw up? Yes. Did they take a long time to try to fix it? Yes. That can be problematic for people who don't know what they're talking about but here's some good advice: when you don't know what you're talking about, STFU.

I told my friends in AAWA that it is wrong to paint JWN with a broad brush as opposers to their efforts and I will tell you something similar: it is wrong to paint all of AAWA with a broad brush as "a right bunch of conmen."

If you don't want their help as an ex-JW because you don't trust them, that's fine. If you don't want to help them as a volunteer because you don't trust them, that's fine, too. But when you continually resort to name-calling and pontificating you have crossed a line. Take a note from how Simon has behaved through this. He's been critical but respectful and practical. You just keep ranting. Help or don't help but do no harm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit