i think i found a church

by unstopableravens 166 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

amen perry

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Entirely Possible, you sound just like a tired old Watchtower broken record. You haven't moved on past their brainwashing. It was the JWs who decided that fulltime clergy should not be paid, nor even part time, for that matter. The thing is, Jesus and his apostles had very different circumstances and different objectives than the modern day church. So stop it with the tired old JW propaganda. We've been there, done that and left it behind. Doctors may be doctors because they love to heal, but they still deserve to be paid.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    He's getting paid to dispense....whatever he feels like saying. Apparently his opinion is worth more than Jesus.

You reveal a deep ignorance about what pastors and priests actually do in their jobs.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Entirely Possible, you sound just like a tired old Watchtower broken record.

You sound like someone that prefers to sling insults rather than defend the stuff you spout. Seriously, try defending a single thing you said using logic and reason rather than try to smear the person questioning what you say. You may find yourself smarter for the experience.

You reveal a deep ignorance about what pastors and priests actually do in their jobs.

You crack me up with your silly assumptions. Perhaps you you try learning something before you make ASSumptions.

It was the JWs who decided that fulltime clergy should not be paid, nor even part time, for that matter.

I put this last on purpose to show how silly you are. Jesus and Paul both preached against money in religion. You should try actually NOT being ignorant about the stuff you say. You might find it fulfilling.

Doctors may be doctors because they love to heal, but they still deserve to be paid.

Doctors aren't preachers. Fail. You fail so hard if you were an asteroid heading towards earth, you would wipe out the dinosaurs with the impact of your failure in that singular statement.

The thing is, Jesus and his apostles had very different circumstances and different objectives than the modern day church.

There are plenty of organizations that do good works and dispense help without getting paid. The simple fact is that preachers that get paid defy the words of their origins. Claiming that times are different could be something you could build on, but the fact is you have yet to demonstrate why or how they MUST get paid in order to teach about Christ, love and being saved.

Jesus didn't get paid. Why should they?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

EP: this is a thread where the OP is happy with his decision to go to church. He likes his church. What is your purpose for posting on this thread? It doesn't look to be a positive one. It's not a thread that asked for ongoing debate about whether churches need money to operate or whether clergy should be compensated for their valuable time and hard work. If you're insulted, I'm sorry. You do bring the WT rherotic and reasoning to a thread where it just doesn't fit. Examine yourself. Be introspective. Let go of the Watchtower standards and rules. They don't apply out here.

• Perry
    Perry

These scriptures seem to settle this issue for me:

1 Timothy 5:17-18 (New International Version)

"The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching. For the Scripture says, "Do not muzzle the ox while it is treading out the grain," and "The worker deserves his wages."

Galatians 6:6 (New International Version)

Anyone who receives instruction in the word must share all good things with his instructor.

Luke 10:7 (New International Version)

Stay in that house, eating and drinking whatever they give you, for the worker deserves his wages. Do not move around from house to house.

1 Corinthians 9:4-14 (New International Version)

"Don't we have the right to food and drink? Don't we have the right to take a believing wife along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord's brothers and Cephas? Or is it only I and Barnabas who must work for a living?

Who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat of its grapes? Who tends a flock and does not drink of the milk? Do I say this merely from a human point of view? Doesn't the Law say the same thing? 9For it is written in the Law of Moses: "Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain."Is it about oxen that God is concerned? Surely he says this for us, doesn't he? Yes, this was written for us, because when the plowman plows and the thresher threshes, they ought to do so in the hope of sharing in the harvest. If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you? If others have this right of support from you, shouldn't we have it all the more?

But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ. Don't you know that those who work in the temple get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel."

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Thank you, Perry. And I want to add, even non profit organizations have paid staff and overhead.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

EP: this is a thread where the OP is happy with his decision to go to church. He likes his church. What is your purpose for posting on this thread?

You can try to be a schoolmarm to someone else, it ain't selling here. Can you explain why a preacher would get paid today when that is absolutely NOT the model set forth in the Bible?

If you're insulted, I'm sorry.

Why would I be insulted? It's not like the stern grandmother act works on me.

You do bring the WT rherotic and reasoning to a thread where it just doesn't fit. Examine yourself. Be introspective. Let go of the Watchtower standards and rules. They don't apply out here.

You can't answer a question so you do the only thing you can, insult someone.

Try again. Sling that BS some other direction, none of it is getting on me. You can't answer the question so you try to sling shit on other people. Well, sucks for you but it didn't work. The only person you got your crap on is you.

Why should preachers get paid a salary today when that is 100% against the model they claim to follow?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Perry, none of that says anything about a salary. Quit trying to make the Bible say what you want. It cannot now say what it did not say then.

FHN, non-profits are also non-prophet. Your analogy is false because they don't have a model they CLAIM to follow from heaven that directly says that what they do should be given freely. If you are going to try to make claims, you should also try to be aware of the basic tenets of the things you are talking about.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Insults? Ep is full of them, isn't he?

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit